Teenage Engineering OP-1

Can’t advise on that - I think you are talking about a different type of ground noise between your devices possibly related to your outlet supply and all devices being on a connected circuit to that.
In my case there is no main power, it is an ipad midi cck connected to the OP with ipad audio plugged into the OP (thus creating a loop) and there is a significant buzz : the isolator on the audio cable removes it.

However you’ve made me wonder if an isolator around the usb cable in my set-up is as beneficial as isolating on the audio cable…

can’t help from thinking about the OP-1… My OT needs a friend!

Someone here uses the OP1 with OT?

I would really love to hear about your workflow with these 2 machines…

Do you directly sample audio from OP1 to OT, or do you export from op1 to computer, then to OT flashcard?

Do you create with both of them simultaneously, or sketch on the OP1 then bounce/export or sample?

I know the OP1 would be the perfect companion for my live sets (playing real time synths),
but I can’t really figure if it would be useful for composition… (as I have the OT and lots of powerful vst synths with Komplete)

Thanks a lot

I may be switching to a job that requires daily travel in the next month or so.
Will definitely have to pick up an OP-1, again.

Regarding its functionality with composition, it’s all about using it mostly by itself. Sure you can sample other sources, and I am partial to Patterning on iPad to make more interesting drum programs than OP-1’s drum sequencer is capable of, but the compositional power is in using the tape to record/splice/arrange, and most importantly PERFORM. It takes some practice, but once you figure out the arrow commands for moving around the play head / changing loop length, and combine that with mutes, solos, FX slot tweaks, etc, the composition becomes a product of the tape feature as an instrument itself.

Yes it is limiting. And yes that is the point. Instruments are limiting. You push those limits with how you play them.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, and yeah I really don’t know much about that stuff so my communication about it will be fuzzy.

In my case, power is being sent to the OP1 whether from the computer or a usb-midi host box, and I get the same noise from the JU-06, which is why I’m thinking the USB power might be the source since I don’t get that from the OP-1 when not connected to USB. I thought maybe the isolator you posted was meant to remove the noise I experience in that case, but now I’m thinking it’s likely for something else. I’ll probably just get one of each to experiment with. :slight_smile:

I’d tried a USB isolator by Dragonfly. It was designed for a DAC on your hifi but the principle was the same. Didn’t make a difference tbh but now I’m using OP-1 standalone I still have noisy output so don’t think that was my problem in the first place. It has no adverse effects though so I just leave it on the end of my overhub.

I’ve purchased the isolator Mokomo suggested but haven’t used it yet.

the OP-1 unit portables carry case, which is a real nice case, has dropped in price!

2 Likes

It’s a super nice case. I bought a second one after my first got damaged (no harm done to the OP-1).

A vote here for the sound design aspects of the OP-1 though, on top of its songwriting/sketching strengths… I did a videogame project where about 80% of the sound effects were created on the OP-1.

1 Like

Did you know this fonction ?

Sure. But unfortunately the device remains noisy even charging is turned off in the above menu while USB cable is being plugged in :slight_smile:

ok
It’s work in my setup.
I kill the buzz.

1 Like

FWIW I used my previous OP-1 with a usb cable that had a ferrite bead clamped on near the small end. I had bought it used, and that was the cable it came with.
I never found it to be noisy with this cable.

Ferrite Beads are about $1 each, and you can add them to existing USB cables.

2 Likes

Hey Monstre
I kind of use the OT to save and finalise my OP1 loops
I just record the loops in (no sync, no usb hub)
and it works out ok

The op1 tape fx are really cool so I sometimes record an additional sample being stopped or slowed down/backwards etc
also the op1 drive sounds pretty good, so I’ve found that the tracks lack the same punch once Ive sampled them individually into the OT

They def go well together

1 Like

1 Like

Pretty sweet. Tho reminds me of the padded beams I knelt on in church when I was a kid :confused:

2 Likes

That is a nice looking stand, church pew comparisons notwithstanding :smile:

I just got this for my Akeys:

I’m thinking the space above the key bed is going to be the perfect spot for my incoming OP-1…at least for when I don’t need to use the two together.

1 Like

I’m back in that indecisive funk about whether I like the OP-1 or not. When I first got it a couple of years ago, I loved it. I loved the tape functionality. As a fan of musique concrete and having started making crappy electronic/experimental music by doing dumb tape hacks, I was totally at home on the OP-1. I got it in a bundle with the Oplab and had fun using it conjunction with other small synths (Anode, Evolver, Streichfett, Volcas, etc) and/or with sequencing from the iPad. I took it on cross-country train trips and wrote and recorded dumb little EPs on the train.

But then Machinedrum and Monomachine came into my life. And I’ve just had a hard time getting back into the OP-1. It sounds weird to my ears now. The tape workflow doesn’t seem to be flowing for me any more… It’s weird. But I do really appreciate its small size and killer battery life and I’ll see if I can re-connect with it in the coming weeks after some live shows are over and I can spread my focus out again. Maybe once spring gets here in earnest and I’m wanting to spend time on the patio where the Monomachine can’t go so easily, the OP-1 and I will re-connect.

I’m really considering trading it out for an Organelle and waiting on the OP-Z which does look like it’s closer to my post-Monomachine workflow… But hopefully some old switch will re-awaken.

Op-1 is an awesome synth. Here I use it as the only source of sound run through Analog Heat and Strymon Big Sky

1 Like

This is a song by Trilobyte@operator-1.com

3 Likes

Damn! I wish I had money! There’s a guy selling an OP-1 in Chicago for $700 :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

missed opportunities

I ordered mine from guitar center under their 20% sale, so I’m getting it new for $679.

Sale goes through the 12th :wink:

3 Likes