Teenage Engineering EP-133 K.O. II

For me it’s taking the SP concept even further to the, just play it in, perform, don’t think too hard, accept the mistakes mentality.

The SP is more powerful and has things like step sequencing, but the biggest thing on the TE for me is the slim profile that will slot in a bag alongside a laptop, approachability and the big battery life.

Thinking about it I see it more as a rival to the Circuit Rhythm.

3 Likes

MPC200XL had this first (I think), and my MPC1000 has 2 :smiley:
You can assign it to pitch and record pitch mod like you would scratch. Sounds dope. Looking forward to do that on the PO

The PO has step sequencing. all of them do.

1 Like

He meant x0x step seq I guess…?

1 Like

For me it’s the portability. I travel for work a lot and I while the DT is the best and most immediate music maker for me, I bought the new TE one because it’s light and runs on batteries.

The online only manual/guide is terribly annoying

Can’t search through it easily at all

Is it not downloadable? Am I missing something?

The aesthetics of this really lure me towards the purchase button. But I don’t need another groove box. Plus I’ve had it with TE. Let’s see how long I can resist.

2 Likes

The big differences that jump out:

KO2 can sequence external gear via MIDI, has both live and linear midi sequencing, onboard mic.
20 seconds max individual sample time, fun and fast.

SP404 has 16 mins max individual sample time and huge memory via SD. Both live and XOX style sequencing that might be more inscrutable vs the KO2’s workflow. USB audio and MIDI makes grabbing samples off devices and integrating with mobile music making way more convenient. Has loop, resampling, reverse, more FX types. No ability to midi sequence other gear. Overall probably much more versatile than the KO2, though maybe at the cost of an intuitive UX.

The two of them together could be pretty nice, e.g. using the SP as a multitrack to record stems jammed in from the KO2, resample on the SP with FX and layers, then maybe bounce back to the KO2…yikes.

4 Likes

couldn’t resist anymore. ordered one directly from the TE - how long did you guys wait for your delivery within EU?

purchased yesterday from TE. still no shipping notification 🥲

Exactly my thoughts, i liked the og 404 and was excited for the mk2, but its soooo overloaded, that i dont like working with it.

2 Likes

Bit annoying with GAS, have bought this one but all it made was making me gas to buy a op1 field, cm15 mic, tp7 recorder and the tx-6 mixer and all three e25 elektron boxes to get the coolest silver/grey setup possible :rofl: now need 8000 more euros…

5 Likes

yea i want that hoodie now. not for 125 squids tho. the price eased my desire pretty quick :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

so the microphone on this thing seems to be located right next to the speaker, doesn’t this cause feedback when recording?

Checking my emails every 30 mins looking for that shipping confirmation from Rubadub

yep, all recordings are smothered in feedback. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for just one track that’s not just a tutorial or showcase. As in, actual proper music being made with this.

7 Likes

Is velocity always on? Or is there a fixed vel setting? The manual is absolutely horrendous and hasn’t been double checked, there are errors everywhere.

I think I’ll wait as well. While designwise the whole thing is gorgeous, I need to know if the sound has THAT mojo. If it doesn’t, I’ll pass, the specs are really too limited once the GAS calms down a bit.

2 Likes

Ordered early eve yesterday, got my shipping notification a little while ago.

I’m really fascinated by what it is that made so many of us order this thing without really waiting to read a single review or hear a proper piece of music made on it. Excited to try it, worried about what it says about our times.

1 Like

I have an sp404mk2 and im not sure if i need this one too… :thinking:
Looks great tho