Teenage Engeering PO-33 Sampler

I loved the sound of the 33, especially the Street Fighter samples, but I hated using it.

Love watching videos of folk who can really get the most out of it though (and the other POs)

Pocket Operator build quality is EXTREMELY poor. Button, knobs, minijack, buzz, display problems…

I kept my 2nd PO33 because I can’t sell it. (I had 3)

2 Likes

Did this just happen by itself or did you drop something on it? :thinking:

PO-33 is awesome! It’s my never ever selling and will probably buy another piece!

I made a EP with just 33. It’s not good but what a fun time making it!

10 Likes

I know there’s one mistake there but I don’t remember where exactly. Sorry for that.

I’ve compiled all the PO-33 resources here.

8 Likes

Deleting the active sound should be rec+sound, not rec+number.
One day I’ll fix that. As well as the “puttern” typo.

2 Likes

It fell on a wooden floor from a bed, maybe 30 cm high.

1 Like

unfortunately I can confirm the horrible build quality. I have had mine since it came out, always kept in its cover, never dropped etc…
well the mic stopped working, so I can only sample using the line in. what a shame!

1 Like

PO-33 is a really fun device to use. I really like that it feels more as something you can play than something you have to program.

Also, the FX track and it’s step lock implementations are quite powerful resources.

Made completely on my PO-69:

Listen to Guaracha accidental by MC #bc8e47 on #SoundCloud

1 Like

Yep. Just had to send back a brand new one, speaker on/off connection broke in first 15 min of use. Replacement is fine so far.

Maybe unfair to say, but I wonder if Teenage Engineering sees the Pocket Operators as disposable novelties for affluent people, people who think of $100 as coffee money.

Makes me appreciate the little Rolands like the S1 and T8, which for $200 give you a real instrument. The price is not so different once you realize the POs need a case.

3 Likes

I do think there’s something in that - certainly with the disposable bit.

When I bought the mega man/Street Fighter combo I almost didn’t open them up at all and just thought it was cool to have them about. Where’s the fun in that right?!

The OPZ is the sweet spot of the PO approach/vibe for me though. Comparatively much more money but really did seem like having a handful of PO’s in a box to me.

2 Likes

In case anyone is interested, the mpc-style cases for the PO-33 are back in stock from the manufacturer, beatmakersboutique.com. $60 US plus shipping. (I am not affiliated with the company.)

Just got one, seems like a really nice case and the PO fits into the case and aligns with the buttons easily. The travel box and knob covers shown are included. Hope this is useful to someone.

2 Likes

I’ve got the game boy one and the quality is nice. I have TE silicon cases for all the POs (I’ve got ‘em all) and this one is way better. It’s actually playable.

I’ve bought other clear acrylic cases that worked, but had lots of clacking with the button presses. That’s not an issue with this one.

The only issue is the price compared to the PO. But I keep my only one on the PO-33 and will use TE covers for the rest.

1 Like

I thought it was the case on my PO35. I destroyed the mic in order to solder a new one, then I realized it was a minijack input problem (it behaved as if there were something plugged, so the mic was cut).

2 Likes

That sucks. The same kind of problem happens with the output jack; if the output jack “thinks” there is something plugged in, when there isn’t, then the speaker won’t work. From what I saw online, sometimes blowing into the jack is supposed to help. Didn’t work for me.

Yes! I noticed that right away.

Re your comment about the price: I don’t mind, because it makes the PO more of an instrument—knobs and buttons are easier to play. And the case plus travel box provides good protection.

But I see why it can feel like a lot, compared to the price of the PO itself.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a thread for this sampler. It is such a great sounding sampler, and I have owned a lot of the Lofi classics. Build quality is questionable, but the sound quality is so damn good especially on pitched samples, I love mine.

4 Likes

Can’t argue that at all. It really does improve it. It feels solid.

Searched through my old photos and found this. I’m sure the MC ones are built similar. It’s not immediately apparent that it’s a thick case (which is a very good thing).

1 Like

I had that problem too. Better batteries seemed to improve it.
I also had the hum/buzz problem during sampling.

1 Like

i like the look of that 404 case from BMB! I also really like the opz(hate the build quality, much like PO) but, the sampling while infinitly more feature rich I cant get super into. I still use my 33 for its quick pickup and play nature. opz is great for everything else. I should bang my head against the z’s sampling some more its just feels far less immediate. feels like TE is becoming more of a software company.

its kinda funny how borderline useless the 33’s screen is but, we’d all be crushed by a broken one…

po33f?!!!