Techno sub bass on elektron a4, anyone?

need help to make hard techno sub bass

1 Like

Main tip:
Use the highpass or peak filter of filter 2 with high resonance and boost the frequency you are looking for.
Adjust keytracking of filter 2 to 32, so the boosted frequencies will follow the keys you play.

9 Likes

you can get really nice sub bass from deconstructing your kicks and tuning - detuning for that rumble techno sound.

1 Like

Can we hear what a hard techno subbass is ? I mean frequency wise i see where it sits but regarding tone, movement and processing an exemple would help

1 Like

There is things to consider regarding sub-bass, you need extra amplification or you must lowered the other trk… for a real low to be heard and feel you must add some movement (it can be pitch, level, vibrato, timbre…) and as @Unifono said using second filter for eq purpose. Generally, the 808 bass trick Works (see on youtube @umonox made tutorial on this one)

The best for subbass at least to me, is to start with a pure sine bass from digital synth or sample from octatrack and add the top layer with the A4 to give it character and then resample.

The more the fundamental of the sub share frequency with the kick the more it is difficult to mix. That’s why people tend to use 909 kick when they need in their track a subbass and when a more mid bass a 808 kick is fine… it’s a bit of a cliché but it explain well at least the relation between kick and bass

7 Likes

Allot of us use the 808 base drum or conga as the sub base sample just carefully balance the decay section of the kick and base line so they gel. It’s really very simple. You can add some distortion or as already mentioned use pitch envelope to make it a bit more wonky it all depends on the track in context.

1 Like

Its possible to get a subbass like this With a4 and how can I get it ? Thanks for your tips

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you’re talking about? Is it the kick? Because it’s the only “sub part” of this track…
There is also an offbeat bass but not really “sub”…

1 Like

Hey ,
thank you for your help ! well I mean the sublayer the kick, because it somehow doesn’t sound like a normal sine wave to me and the bass, which is still above it like a 16 th rolling, somehow can’t get this combination, between kick, sub and bass, me knows it probably doesn’t belong here either, but if you can give me a few tips anyway, I would be really grateful

Another example:

I’m not a great sound designer but i think what you try to achieve is an harmony beetwen those sub bass, kick and offbeat rythmic bass, all of this can be made on the A4, and the sounds you use for example are quite simple if you listen to them individualy, it’s the harmony that is hard to achieve…

I usually layer a sine wave bass sound (really low) alternating a couple of complementary notes, then low cut a nice kick over top.

For animation, you can fade some FM of the sine bass in and out.

I usually put the sine wave at the lowest frequency I can hear clearly.

Just be sure to low cut other low-ish sounds, or it’ll get mucky down there.

For this you would roll of the top end of the kick sample, and place it after the kick. If you want to do it on the A4, you have to pitch mod a triangle wave at low frequency. Try with a single oscilator, maybe add a 2nd track if you want to have a bit more upper frequency, and play both at the same time.

Play with the release on the amp page, to set the level accordingly.

Thank you very much! But two things I don’t understand … first is: place the top end after the kick ?! and fade some FM ?! sorry I just starting to learn…
and the Lowend of the tracks is with triangle you think ? do you think there is some reverb on the low-end or on the low end bass but not under 100 HZ for example ?

Thank you