Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

What are these OT magic tricks you speak off? :thinking:

1 Like

One of mine has to beā€¦ Using way too Manny tracks/ different instruments in one songā€¦

8 Likes

Yes, OP-1 is entirely what I had in mind. Playing the tape is obviously the trademark effect of that instrument so it seems a bit rough to criticize it for that, but it does sometimes lead to overusing the tape effect. However, taking things to the extreme can sometimes be rewarding.

For the Blooper, is it the smooth speed setting that allows you to accomplish this effect? I believe it can be done tastefully somehowā€¦ in fact, I miss doing stuff like that with the Pigtronix Infinity Looper which I long ago replaced with a Boomerang III. So maybe Iā€™m just sore since I canā€™t do it anymoreā€¦

2 Likes

Letā€™s be the first then so itā€™s been said: autotune

24 Likes

This.

7 Likes

Yeah for a lot of stuff I do to, I do like stereo for some things but rarely for dance music - panning shit around for the sake of it, nah. :laughing:

2 Likes

I think on the more psychedelic techno stuff stereo can be a great tool for the high frequencies

6 Likes

The answer is obvious: bring back dated but now little known but also meh techniques from the past. Gated reverb?

2 Likes

Interesting that you dislike velocity. Does you music have no changes in dynamics at all, or do just all notes have the same velocity?

6 Likes

-Sidechain compression gives me the shits.
-ā€˜Tune your kick to the basslineā€™ have you ever watched a band play? Did you see the drummer stopping to retune his kick drum between every song?
-ā€˜Airā€™ vocal EQ if youā€™re not a 90s R&B singer
-Stereo panned guitars

18 Likes

I feel like the OP-1 was harder to control in a nuanced way. The Blooper way of doing it is with a knob, which leads to more variance. Iā€™ll be honest. Both are fun. Yep itā€™s a cliche, but darn it if itā€™s still fun to do. Iā€™m looking for a friend who has a covid-19 vaccine and a Landscape HC-TT for a hangout and more tape stop effect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Risers. Are risers finally dead?

30 Likes

HA! Laffed our loud at this :joy:

I donā€™t love the massive shimmer mud either but Iā€™m a big reverb fan, just enough is just enough.

2 Likes

Programming something like velocity to filter envelope with a sequencer Iā€™ll do (with the Pro 3 for example). But when it comes to keyboard playing, it never feels right. It is trying to emulate the dynamics of physical instruments like a guitar or piano, but it feels very artificial to me. It does not have a natural response. It is still an on/off value being interpreted by a computer; nothing like your fingers actually striking strings softer or harder. Not to mention that my favorite keyboard players were guys from the 70s like Bernie Worrell who used synths like the Minimoog and Solina that were not velocity sensitive, and I donā€™t find anything lacking in that sound.

3 Likes

The slow wobbly detune effect mimicking a fucked up tape player.

7 Likes

Does this also extend to drum sounds? Do e.g. all hihat sounds have the same velocity in your tracks?

assigning the octatrack scene to play samples in
reverse.
bit crushed.
lower pitch / higher pitch
slower / faster.

making a track out of a reverebd drone and making it last 5+ minutesā€¦ and actually releasing it on a commercial albumā€¦ SOO MANY OF THIS gets deleted from my hard drive.

i DO like tempo syncd lfos n stuff thoughā€¦ i know it makes things a little predictable but i dont mind itā€¦ iā€™m not keen on too much randomness

3 Likes

I picardy second that

3 Likes

whoā€™s gonna be the first to say 4 on the floor drumbeats?

not me :grimacing:

14 Likes

People singing on electronic music.

Disgusting.

54 Likes