Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

I do enjoy some if it. I find that the problem with this type of thing is that it gets old really quickly. Like a slasher movie that has gore all the way through, you just get numb to it and then it has no effect.

2 Likes

Yeah, I barely managed to maintain an erection at all through Terrifier 2.

11 Likes

—> line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> @Fin25

Just the way it should be.

1 Like

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Can’t imagine it’ll be long before it’s flagged.

You mean flagellated really.

6 Likes

Is that one of those techniques that everyone loves ?

2 Likes

I think Microcosm is great for adding background noise… i usually put it as a send effect and have specific voices run through it, making little washes in the background… having it up front and center is fatiguing after a while.

do you have a link to that clip would be cool to see it.

1 Like

Ever the problem with new kit, I don’t have a huge garage/walk in closet to dump my gear so I need most everything to be “front and center” :slight_smile:

@Phillip, @MichaalHell, The clip I saw/heard was on Hologram’s instagram. I don’t think it’s terribly important though. It was just a sample of person saying “one two three four” getting twisted around by the Microcosm. Very simple stuff and not any super impressive result in and of itself. Here’s something much more interesting and it’s by our own @GiantSuperCell

It’s probably my fault for not digging deep enough on YouTube but I usually only hear Microcosm used for straight up ambient music which is not my cup of tea. The times I have heard it with simple rhythmic material it seemed it was overused and just made a mess. Of course there’s no way I can remember every Microcosm moment I’ve seen/heard on the youtube but this feels like the first time I’ve heard it used in something with drums where the beat was allowed to proceed in a straightforward manner but still have a cool glitchy modern dub type of feel. The silly little clip from Hologram’s insta sounds like something I’d already be doing and GSC’s song sounds like something I’d like to aspire to. I would ask for more Microcosm links along the lines of the above song but I believe I’m preparing for NGNY2023 so please refrain!

3 Likes

I’m easily annoyed by repetitive vocal samples. My brain reads them as uncanny/ something is broken and needs to stop. Perfectly quantized straight 1/16th hats are theoretically just as unnatural, but I love them. But hearing a sample clip of a human singing something in exactly the same way bar after bar makes me murderous.

7 Likes

it’s always some phrase that’s generic and dumb, like “do you want to dance” or “get higher now” over and over. As if people weren’t already dancing and on drugs. Oh, and don’t forget the requisite vocal pitch shift up if you’re doing big room or down if you’re doing so-called underground.

That’s why I don’t even bother to audition vocal clips that come with most sample packs. They’re pretty much guaranteed to be generic played out crap.

7 Likes

True. Except for that ROYGBIV " Hey !".

6 Likes

Reso bass

Keyboardists who hate on modular and talk about music theory knowing nothing about good drone/ambient music. Go listen your Vangelis.

1 Like

Ahh this thread comforts my feelings of alienation on being such a snob about various musical pet peeves.

2 Likes

And “Orange” in Aquarius :laughing:

4 Likes

Using “FILL” on my Digitakt – I always forget it exists! Would rather just build weird breakdowns/buildups in with trig conditions or new patterns

2 Likes

I think FILL should be independant from the other trig conditions since it has a dedicated buton. Then I would use it a lot more.

4 Likes

Yep, like a completely new pattern, bringing a light version of Direct Jump to the Digis :ok_hand:

2 Likes

The Anti-Dub:
Bland sort of hipass filter sweep into reverb/delay FX after every 8th bar or so. Combined with embellished gestures in particular.
Just stop it.

1 Like

Terrence McKenna, Alan Watts, Tim Leary samples and any other cliche acid references. Downward pitch bends on synth solos, quacka quacka envelope filters on guitar or bass.

8 Likes