Teardown/opening up Rytm - bugs inside!

Hellooo, was wondering if anyone in here had opened up their Rytm before and taken it all apart to access all layers and parts? I have these little white bugs inside my Rytm, think I’ve read of others having this issue too? But yeah, I have opened it once to give it a spray with compressed air but only detached the lid from the box, I didn’t access the pcb itself by taking off the potentiometer knobs and all of that. Obv I didn’t do a thorough enough job and there’s still some bugs in there and I want to totally strip it down and blast everywhere with air. So has anyone done a tear down of theirs before and do you have any tips for fully opening it up? If anyone can help that’d be greatly appreciated! And yeah, I will email support too, but also wanted to just see if anyone on here could help. Thanks!

insects or crickets? Real bugs like the insect type right?

If you search the forum there is a few topics about this. Kinda gross really.

tiny white bugs, maybe dust mites? I dunno, you can see them moving across the display and they come out after the Rytm has warmed up a bit :open_mouth:

File a bug report… :smile:

6 Likes

Might there be something topically useful here…?

Yeah I said that I’ve used compressed air before, myself, I’m just a little nervous about doing a full tear down and wondered if anyone had fully opened theirs up before and had some advice.

I believe that thread links to more threads - some concerning the rytm spesifically. Sorry if no help.

I just had a look through that thread and, while kinda humorous, it didn’t really contain any useful info but I’ll have a look again and see if I can see anything useful linked, cheers.

Good luck! How disturbing. Let us know what you end up doing to fix the bugs…

Yikes! I wonder if this is the root cause of the hardware freeze issues on the Rytm MK2 systems?

shouldn’t that have been fixed in the last firmware update?..

or maybe you need weed killer and fly spray.
or only use it while sat in the fridge.
i’m not sure this is the type of bug reporting elektron expect but i’m sure they’d enjoy it.

1 Like

I had this in my Rytm and OT. I removed the casing and left the units in a sealed bag in my shed during the cold winter for days at a time then I would inspect the units and kill any bugs I saw. I used Isopropyl and compressed air and a cotton bud. Took a few weeks but got all the little bastards and 8 months later they have never returned :slight_smile:

Good luck, you can slaughter them!

Holy duck! Elektron machines are not vegan?

Haha
Was just playing my Rytm and watched a little white bug crawl out from the side of pad 1 and crawl back in through the side of pad 2…:mask::mask::mask::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting: