TB-03 with Elektron

Best way to sequence this bad boy with elektron gear?

Sequence it with Octatrack would be the best solution I guess ?

1 Like

I prefer to sync things together and use its own sequencer , maybe sequence some ccā€™s on octatrack with different time sig / step count.

3 Likes

I control it with Octatrack. Usually write my patterns on the TB-03 because I like the randomness of original mode. Have it hooked up to the Midi Thru on Analog Rytm. Pattern Change doesnā€™t work. Pattern Chaining on the TB-03 is easy and works well though. Having the Octatrackā€™s LFO affect the different parameters works nicely and keeps it from being stagnant. Tweaking the knobs manually + LFOs can get it quite wild in a good way.

1 Like

Iā€™m really having trouble fitting the tb-03 into my setup. It doesnā€™t take pattern change commands. I am not really good at sequencing it externally with OT or MNM. Any ideas for better integration before I offload it? Iā€™d prefer to either master sequencing it from the OT so it sounds just like the internal sequencer or have a good way if changing the patterns on the device. Both seem impossible right now.

I just sync it and change patterns along the way. Or i record the patterns into my pyramid and replay them.

Dataline has a video where he controls it from the OT and there is a paid instructional video on bandcamp where you probably can see how he is doing it.

If you sell it cheap i would love to buy it as i want 2 x tb 03 in my setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

In what way is that not working for you? You should be able to sequence notes on the TB-03 fine from the OT using one of its MIDI tracks. Just keep in mind that:

1. you should set the Note On velocity to a value lower than 100 for an unaccented note and to 100 or higher for an accented note, and that you
  2. need to overlap notes when you want to trigger a slide.

As long as you do that, you should be able to program patterns on your OT that play back exactly as they would when using the internal sequencer on the TB-03.

You can even use CC messages to control the parameters of the TB-03 from your OT which is especially cool combined with its MIDI LFO. See https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TB-03_MIDI_Imple_e01_W.pdf for the CC numbers.

2 Likes

Yer would love be to see that Dataline vid.

Iā€™ve tried it cant seem to get the slide effect to work at all. TB 03 is very boring playing plain notes.

I no longer have an OT so I canā€™t test if it supports overlapping notes on MIDI tracks, but I am absolutely sure this is how I create slides when I play patterns from Bitwig into my TB-03.

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting it working to some extent using the legato, it required parameter locking legato on off per trig. Itā€™s kind of doing what I want, but itā€™s new to me so still fiddling around.

here is the video

1 Like

Yer ive seen the performance, might have to pay for the ā€˜dataline brain implant chipā€™ video.

1 Like

On the OT, just make sure the note is long enough to fill the gap (for example; with a gap of one step between the two notes, note length of the first note has to be minimum 1/8 note), then lock the arpā€˜s legato to ā€žonā€œ for the second note.

Dialing in note pitch and note length + note pitch with legato on takes just one second :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That paid video is great, but just to set your expectations heā€™s not sequencing the TB with the OT. Heā€™s stepping the TBā€™s internal sequencer with the TR-09 trigger out. Lots of good tips on re-sampling both Rolands with the OT and whatnot though :+1:

2 Likes

Yes this is exactly what I figured out seems to work but still lots of trial and error to get something sounding right. But itā€™s progressing so thanks everyone for your advice!

The OT Legato is just note on/off sending, if you want pitch slide (like glide or portamento) it has to be available in the device receiving the notes.

Which youā€™d think the TB-03 would have? I donā€™t have one to try.

Iā€™d just try sequence overlapping notes on the OT by using long note lens

2 Likes

apparently you have to overlap notes AND send a midi CC 102. and the value of cc102 changes the slide characteristic. something like this.

I am having troubles with the midi control for the tb-03 from octatrack and digitone.
what I want to do is setup a midi channel (on OT or DN), and configure the midi ccā€™s they way I want. To create different ā€œpatchesā€ on the TB-03 for each song so to speak.

Problem is that it doesnā€™t work. I tried P-locking a step with the values, but still doesnā€™t work. the assigned midi control work, so I can tweak the TB-03 from the OT or DN, but the parameters wonā€™t change when I switch patterns. am I missing something?

Sold my TB-03ā€¦ pretty fast it is not possible to get slides from external sequencing. Not like on the TB itself. For me that was a deal breaker. But if you want the thing and have the nice slides. Use its own sequencer.