Tape Saturation and Analog Heat

Neve makes a Tape Saturation for their 500 series and i was looking at picking up a pair for running my Digitone or OT mk 1 when tracking into my DAW. I want to put Tape Sat on every channel so it has to be subtle.

I understand there are loads of VSTs that will do this for me, but I’m wondering about the Tape Sat of the Heat.

How does it sound? Can it do "subtle*?

Thanks.

Analog Heat can very much do subtle. The first 3 circuits on the dial (Clean Boost, Saturation and Enhancement) are great for subtle treatment of your sound. Enhancement is a little less subtle, but walks that fine line between not enough and too much so well that I think it’s my favorite circuit. Hope that helps. Check out the recent video by Red Means Recording on YouTube for subtler usage of the Heat.

2 Likes

Which one?

I guess this one

:grinning: thanks…i was listening to the plagiarism one, thinking he might soon segue in to an account of how to get subtle saturation from an Analog Heat!

1 Like

or maybe this one. talks and shows a lot about how to make sound more beautiful with AH instead of just killing it, in essence, how to find the right amount of distortion + combining it with the other features of AH

How about the Strymon Deco? :slight_smile: I have been eyeing tape sat alternatives too

pair of these would also work if you’re fine with 500 series modules

1 Like

A pair of Analog Drive at 89€, Clean Boost mode.

2 Likes

That looks sweet. And I have assembled my own Monome 128, but I’d need two and a chassis. But it’s an awesome kit.

As a coda to this, I was doing a search this morning, and a brand new mk 1 popped up on a major retailer site for $499. I had to do a bit of poking around to make sure it was legit-new. It is, and I’ll get it Tuesday. Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to putting my boxes together!

3 Likes