Talk me out of making a whole song

I’ve been checking the board out for some time and I’m really interested in writing a whole song.

But reading comments here, it sounds like the learning curve is really steep and it’s a really deep and complicated process.

I’ve been making short loops for a long time and kind of want to just stick to that. But writing a whole song sounds fun.

So. Talk me out of writing a whole song. What are the pros and cons? Is there anyone who has a bunch of loops but also some songs? Do they pair well together?

Thanks!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

:thinking:

7 Likes

Step 1 of any of this: turn off the internet and put down your phone.

Step 2: have fun and stop thinking so much.

Done.

11 Likes

10 create music
20 have fun creating music
30 goto 10

8 Likes

You’ll never be able to make a whole song, just give up. It’s almost impossible, and few (if any) have ever done it. Have I talked you out of it?

4 Likes

I’m finding that just having 2 variations of patterns, with different notation but in the same key / scale breaks up some of the loopy nature. Also muting, soloing, and having a breakdown and a build up. Just take one of your loops, copy it to a new pattern with all the same instruments (or most of the same) and switch the notation up. It will give your loops more of a song feel. I also do alternate drum loops for my different sections.

The pros are you get a more varied performance, more interesting song, which feels good and more accomplished.

The cons are that it takes longer and if you’re 2 sections don’t work with each other, transition wise, it may sound bad.

I’ve heard your loops, they’re good. Just add a different section, get a feeling for when you should drop out instruments and let one instrument breath (solo)

Also realize that many songs require repetition to keep the parts memorable to the listener, loops = repetition. There is a reason loops are popular in songs, they ARE parts of songs!

Quick tip. Pick a scale for your next pattern, when you want a B section, transpose all the instruments by 7 semitones on the next pattern. It usually sounds pretty cool.

6 Likes

Song?!

2 Likes

Forget songs, and even loops…just make entire albums!

4 Likes

Love those basics :smile:

3 Likes

Let loop play for two minutes & thirty seconds. Viola, song achieved.
Or don’t, who really needs short structured burst of music.

3 Likes

Are we talking about full tracks instead of jamming with loops, or do you plan to do songs as in things with lyrics and some kind of verse-chorus structure?

Whole songs are a slippery slope.

2 Likes

start off with conditional trigs and mute/unmute

5 Likes

OP is clearly taking the piss, but it’s nice to see people giving advice regardless :blush:

10 Likes

Went over my head, must be a long day. :smile:

1 Like

Haha! I was hella confused because the OP drops great tracks about every other week! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

My bad y’all. I was poking fun at the “Talk me out of” posts that pop up regularly around here.

I had a little too much down time at work :v:

10 Likes

i was about to give you hints.
Talk me out of your post … :rofl:

Maybe I will reply for christmas :sweat_smile:

A song typically needs a structure.
I would read a bit about it in the interwebs.
Dont be shy to change key on the bridge to keep it interesting.
And: Rules are for breaking.

1 Like

RTFM and Gandalf‘s guide first

4 Likes