Talk me out of buying an Analog Four

Just this week I G.A.S.ed out and bought an Octatrack and OP-1.
The OP-1’s workflow was cake (it’s just so great) and, other than some deeper tips and tricks, I feel like that’s handled for what I need it for.
The Octatrack came in yesterday and I’ve got a lot of ground covered after reading through the manual a bit and trying some things.
It’s DEEP though so I suspect by early December I should be rocking the butthole off of these guys (again, barring some tips and tricks I’ll inevitably overlook).

So talk me out of an Analog Four because I’ve got enough to do or tell me why I can’t live without it in this setup.
I’ve been G.A.S.'ing hard for one since it was announced and due to it’s relationship with the Octatrack it seems even more attractive now.
On one hand I’m thinking “why not” and on the other hand I’m thinking “dude, slow down”.

I have the same trio Op1, Octotrack and Analog Four. I honestly wouldn’t want to be without any of them. The A4 is a beast.

Besides the obvious - you already have more than enough to learn and focus on, just imagine if Elektron releases something new between now and when you’re “bored” of your two other new toys! What if they came out with an Analog-8 Poly !?

Make the most of what you just got (which is a lot), savor it, and hold out on the A4 so you can feel the rush of getting new gear, again, later on.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :joy:

don’t get me wrong. i love the machine and the sequencer. and i think it has its own sound and that it sounds great.

the thing is, i just cannot compose on hardware sequencers. i can jam all night and have so much fun but never really produce anything worth saving.

i do most composing in a DAW and have yet to just use my DAW to sequence it, but that sounds really promising to me…

Thanks for the replies.

@prettyboy - I have the exact opposite problem as you.
For the past decade and a half I’ve been using some variant of DAW and hundreds of plugins–not to mention building Max apps since before it even added MSP–and at some point I’ve become bored to tears with the constant visual barrage.
These little boxes get me away from visually composing and let me focus on the sound alone.
I wrote at least 20-30 tracks a week back when it was just me and an MPC.
Then I discovered computers and went WAY too far down the rabbit hole with programming, etc.

The G.A.S. is strong!
:joy:

Well said! Same same for me too.

I know 1289 reasons not to get an A4… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Otoh do you REALLY need it? Or do you just need an analog bass synth like Bass Station 2 to complement?

If you want a bass synthesizer, the a4 is definitely the wrong choice (the oscillators are too weak at lower frequencies).
Same if you want a polysynth.

If you wanna have fun, get one.

We all love the A4, just be a baller and buy one.

If you were a big MPC person, I say just focus on the OT/OP-1 sampler combo for a month or so and really get that down (composting loops for the OT on the OP-1 is GREAT and I had a ton of fun chopping samples and MPC-style sequencing them on the OP-1).

In fact, your best bet is to lock yourself in a room for 2-3 weeks with each Elektron box you get before you move onto a new one.

A4 will be waiting for you to round out your sampler/digital synth compositions with Analog character.

I sort of understand what you’re talking about, but I think the low end actually sounds quite good, it just not very, you know, ballsy.

And because of that you can always boost the low end with your favorite hard/software EQ, to get a ballsier low end. The bass knob of my mixer is pretty much permanently set to boost a few dB. After that, I think the A4 makes quite nice a bass synthesizer.

Then again, currently it’s my only synthesizer, so I can’t compare it to anything. I’ve been thinking about getting a Minitaur for the sole duty of handling the basslines, but I have some other stuff to buy first, so it’ll have to wait some months.

However, there is a positive benefit to this: The A4 sits well in a mix because it forces separation between bass lines and your sub-bass. It is a nice smooth bass synth that leaves room for a resonance monster on the far end of the spectrum.

1 Like

Again, thanks for the replies.

It won’t be doing that much bass.
I literally JUST sold a Moog specifically because it was too bass-y and cut through every mix like butter.
That’s not a bad thing if you’re a keyboard player in a band and want to stand out.
For me, it was obnoxious.
I’ll be using it for melodies and arpeggios above 400hz for the most part.

Also form factor is a big concern.
There’s the Tetra and the Prophet 08, but I’m not a fan of the DSI sound.
I have several little synths in tabletop and rack form I COULD use, but to be honest they don’t really fit the bill as a good OT companion.
I’m still not completely convinced the OP-1 is that great of an OT companion, but I have to get my Kenton hub in, hook them up together, and investigate.

Maybe a Monomachine instead?
Machinedrum?

ARGH! Analog Four!

enough loops already !
break out of the four bar loops paradigm for some of your melodies

@ bambrose - Music is largely based on loops, regardless of their size.
12 notes is intrinsically a form of loop.
Melodies loop, that’s why you can hum the theme to Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark over and over.
Seemingly randomized music like the Rites of Spring is grating to me.
Drone music is still a loop, albeit a very short one repeated ad nauseam.
Even if I make a 2048 bar loop, it’s still a loop.

Wait, how does this statement help me decide if I should buy an Analog Four or not?
How did you find your way on to the Elektron forums if you don’t like their loop-y products?
Do you work for Ableton?
I’m not buying Push, bro.

Personally I would probably focus on the OT for some time, to really get to know it while making the most of it on its own (the more limitations, the easier to learn the little tricks).

But I would definitely get the A4 at some point. It’s the only Elektron box I’ve got (since just a couple of weeks ago), and it amazes me how well thought out it is.

The sound, to me it’s great. I’m glad the lows aren’t too boomy, since four of these voices are working together through stereo outs. As it is, the balance is good when using it on its own.

Ok… don’t buy an A4.

Instead buy a MM. Or MD-UWII.

you will eventually own them all, no point in protesting. :slight_smile:

I’d say wait until you at least know the OT a lot better. That’s a deep machine, and with single cycle waves can function as a synthesizer in it’s own right already.

I hope you slowed down,

There’s no reason I can give you to get it or not to get it, listen to the sounds and know if that’s what you want.

But I hope you didn’t, the problem with GAS is you end up with a whole lotta gear you know how to work reasonably well, not the gear you’ve mastered.

With what the Octatrack and the OP1 can do you have NO reason to gum up the process of mastering those machines. I hope you stuck with them only for a few months, if you did, I’m sure you’re a killer on both by now.

BTW I suggest selling the OP1 after you’ve had some fun with it, they break down and have battery issues, Teenage Engineering offers ZERO support, it’s $1000 down the toilet.

Actually, my recommendation would be to sell the OP1 and get the A4

you just replied to a 4 year old thread. lol. dude prolly bought and sold 3 of em by now.