Talk me out of an octatrack mk2

Two OT…would fry my brain…

This “Cuckoo video” makes me impatient adding the Octatrack to my setup! It’s like I need an immediate list next to my shortlist…

be26e0318080d23e230f7415bd94df871a28311c_1_333x500
149af95c0a2f1a66f4bc73960b9897cb965241a1_1_372x500

Why not…:content:
4b2929e0c94df29b1776d37e9f9f35ada6b32c03_1_500x500

7 Likes

and free my tracks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hell yeahs

Lol…i really Like your Instagram Account offering… especially those Effing Trumps inbetween the TT606 OT Performances.

1 Like

Gear, tacos, dogs, race cars, and the occasional poltical message. That’s my brand!

2 Likes

Besides the dogs, i can relate to all of that too…:wink:

1 Like

I’ll make tangent stay on topic, I swear.
I became very allergic to my own dogs years ago when I removed something from my diet that I was allergic to (and unaware). For another year I kept them. One died in that time, the other was given to a friend. It broke my heart.
My sister’s dog is my main squeeze now, though I have to limit my interaction.

UNLIKE the Octatrack, which is my main studio squeeze, and I will never limit my interaction (because it’s both fun, and easy to forget a few complex functions)

2 Likes

Hello Nauts, thanks for making me want to buy an OTMK2 because of a thread actually meant to talk you out of exactly that :wink:

I have a (noob) question:
i would love to just use the OT by itself and maybe add AH later.
Afaik it is possible to use one of the tracks (static machine) as a sample source, as in let track 7 for example be the virtual turntable playing songs from the CF card. I think of having vinyl, an mpc and a turntable in my backpack :slight_smile: I would then just sample bits and pieces by a touch of a button. When sample digging that way how could you rewind / forward to the parts of the song you want to sample in a nice and easy way?
Thanks!!!

Not sure what you’d want exactly, but there is an Audio Editor, Trim page you can select Start / End / Loop points. Additionally there are 128 Start points in Playback page (increments are Trim length / 128).
So I you select 64 or 128 bars with Trim, you can rewind / forward easily with Playback Start.

You can also create a 64 slice grid from a Trim selection, or place slices where you want and jump between them with the Playback Slice parameter.

1 Like

New topic:

Which Octatrack makes the most comfortable pair of flip flops? MKI or MKII?

Double off topic: @sezare56 Why don’t you make us some real Octaflops? I’m sure there’s a way you can design us some flip flops? I’d buy a pair of Octaflops!

1 Like

MK2 because it takes a couple less steps to get moving.

5 Likes

Efficiency doesn’t necessarily = comfort

2 Likes

I think mkII is more comfortable for me, I also have come to prefer the way it looks now, all except the scale page LED scheme, which hopefully will be resolved.

It is very easy to go from mkI to mkII I think, the shortcuts are fantastic, way way back on the old forum I lamented the lack of dedicated buttons and number of button combos to remember in mkI, and this was even before some of the features were added, I think Elektron did a very good job of designing the mkII to virtually eliminate the finger gymnastics whilst retaining the form factor and “authentic Octatrack feel” :wink:

5 Likes

If your aim is to sample records into the OT, then use those samples within the octatrack, then yes, this can be done. You’d have to plug your turntable into the OT inputs, setup a record buffer on any track to receive audio from where the turntable is plugged in (IN AB, for example), and then either setup a record trig or manually record (1-button sampling). After that, you can use that record buffer on any track with a flex machine. Set this up for as many tracks as you’d like. Does that make any sense?

Then again, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking here.

2 Likes

mk2 is a thing of beauty. :ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Just buy it. And the first time you get annoyed and disillusioned with it, don’t sell it.

After that, you’ll have a long and creative relationship.

2 Likes