Take5 vs Prologue 16 vs Deepmind 12?

As the title states. trying to decide between these three Poly’s:-

Take5 vs Prologue 16 vs Deepmind 12.

I already own an XD, but I often wish I had a higher voice count, especially as i use Unison leads a great deal. I did play a Prologue 16 in a local store and really bonded with it, however I know it’s limited on the modulation aspect, which is why I am very interested in the Take5, but then it has a lower voice count. Deepmind 12 is also cheaper than both, but I usually prefer VCO’s and I know it is limited to 1 sawtooth for both Oscillators.

Tend to produce Trance/Techno/ Ambient mostly.

1 Like

I have owned a Prologue 8 and a Deepmind 12, much preferred the Deepmind. The Prologue sounds great but the modulation options are extremely limited (more so than the XD due to no sequencer modultion). The deepmind has sawtooth and square wave options on OSC 1.

No experience with the Take 5

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! =)

I really don’t like Behringer as a company, but what you get with the Deepmind 12 for the money is ridiculous. If it was made by any other manufacturer it would be 3x the price.

I think the DM12 will probably outperform the Take5 and Prologue 16 in most areas.

So, as much as I dislike Behringer, I still think the Deepmind is a good place to start given your personal situation.
I’d also suggest looking at the Deepmind 6… there’s something about the format of that keyboard and having 6 voices that I prefer over the 12… 6 voices is a lot on a synth like that.

3 Likes

Thanks very much!

If I had to pick one of the three, it would definitely be the Take 5. I am just not interested in the Deepmind, although I am sure it is a nice synth. The Prologue and Take 5 both sound nice, but I like the sound of the Take 5 more. And it has much more modulation options, a sequencer, and more FX. But as always, I recommend getting the one with the core tone you like the best. It can be hard to escape the core sound of a synths oscillators and filter, and if you keep it, you will be programming around that sound for a long time.

3 Likes

Very well said! Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Do you like the Multi-engine ? That’s a difference that if it counts is something to focus on. Like wavetable synthesis, etc.

Timbrality. The Prologue is bi-timbal. Does that matter ?

You mentioned voice count. How much does that matter to you ? Is a higher voice count something you use.

Sound. That’s entirely up to you — no accounting for taste as they say. Your ears have a big say in this.

Question to ask yourself, since you already own an XD, do you stick to this, or do you go other directions ?

1 Like

Prophet Rev 2s can be had cheaply now. Worth the extra.

1 Like

Does this turn into a choice between three — what about something else ? That’s up to the OP.

1 Like

Take 5 for me. Had the other two but loved my Pro 3 so much more…so I"m kind of using that info to “believe” the Take 5 would be best…for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the wise words, I already own a Argon8 and Hydrasynth, so I have those bases covered. I don’t think the bi-timbral aspects bothers me too much, I wish I could get my hands on a Take5 to see if I love the core sound or not, as at the end of the day that’s what seems to make all the difference to me.

1 Like

Always open to suggestions, just really trying to find a good analogue poly that ticks all the boxes. I have everything else covered and I certainly usually seem to find VCO’s more interesting, I had the opportunity to test a Prophet08 a few years back, but wasn’t blown away by the sound, so I think the Rev2 might not hit the spot for me. I think I’ve learnt over the years that the core sound is more important than feature-set, however if I can get both then happy-days! =)

1 Like

I’ve got the Rev 2. My philosophy is treat it like a modern day Juno, chorus always on. It sounds lovely, not too overpowering. But if you want something with more heft and weight, that’s probably not the board for you

1 Like

Thanks for your input. =) After owning and selling countless amount of synths, I’m starting to notice a pattern of shall we say synth personality types. So you 're basically saying it’s a mid-range monster. =)

1 Like

I can recommend the Take 5. Very immediate. Many sweetspots. Feels very sturdy.
I heard a lot of good things about the prologue. Many say it sounds quite vintage. Not sure how close the minilogue is in terms of basic sound.
Played the Deepmind in the store. Sounds very nice actually. Might get one too actually. Most bang for the buck I guess, but quite menu heavy when used to it’s full potential. But certainly works as a simple juno like synth too, then it’s mostly knob per function

1 Like

Does the XD have a poly chain feature? Maybe a second XD module would solve the voice count with something you know you already like?

4 Likes

Yup, you nailed it! I’ve found that mid-rangey sound is what I gravitate towards. Best of luck finding something that works for you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Take 5!!

I’ve owned a Rev2 and Prologue 16, and actually loved both of them. However, IMO the Sequential instruments are just a touch more special. Nothing wrong at all with the Prologue 16. It’s a great instrument, but the feel of the Sequentials is different, and IMO better. Just the whole package. Keys, controls, etc. Plus the SSI chips used in the T5 are AMAZING. I’ve been designing modules around them for a while now, and they are really the bee’s pajamas!

I don’t really have an opinion on the Deepmind, as I’ve never touched one.

3 Likes

Keep an open mind and try to test as many poly synths as you can without getting too hung up on a feature here or there. I used to have a Peak and it had everything and the kitchen sink in it. yet I barely did any sound design with it because I didn’t find it very intuitive. Especially the modulation, gave me flashbacks of trying to sound design on my D-50 with all that menu diving. On paper it was everything I wanted, but I was looking at features, without any insight on how it would be used as an instrument.

Both the Take 5 and Prologue seem like well-laid out instruments that are intuitive sound design tools / instruments. The Deepmind has a lot of menu diving and a pretty awful keybed if you go the keyboard route. Does that matter to you? I didn’t used to think it mattered to me, but after the Peak and more recently buying and being very disappointed with the OpSix, I’m starting to come around to the idea that interface and intuitive design is more important than specs and even gasp sound.

I recently traded one of my D-50s (yeah I’m kinda obsessed with this synth and have a couple) for a Roland System 8 and now the System 8 is possibly my favorite piece of gear I’ve ever owned. Yes, it’s ugly. Yes, it’s plastic. Yes, it’s digital. But IMO it sounds lovely and is so intuitive and well-laid-out that sound design on it is fun and quick. Great patches just flow out of the thing. I would have never even considered that synth when looking for a poly, but there you go… sometimes what is “best” for you isn’t necessarily the best overall synth.

TLDR Just try all the synths any chance you get and make a decision based on what is the most intuitive creative tool for you.

5 Likes