Tahti.studio – a groovebox for the browser

the page should work offline once you’ve visited it once while online. works on my machine at least, but let me know if you have some trouble!

1 Like

Can you make it run more than 16 steps? It’s got potential but 16 is wayy too low

10 Likes

Whoaaaaaaaaaa

version 1.2 is out now! i’m pretty excited about this update :slight_smile: these are the major changes:

• new: note parameter that can be quantized to a freely configurable scale with support for microtonality and Scala tuning files
  • new: button for automatically setting the root pitch of a sample to the closest C
  • new: button for duplicating the sequence
  • improved: increase maximum number of steps from 16 to 64. you can choose how many sequencer lanes you want to see at once via the settings, otherwise there’s pagination.
  • improved: accessibility for people using screen readers

using scales it’s finally possible to create interesting melodic things by randomisation. for example, i created this pattern in about 10 minutes without touching the individual steps at all https://tahti.studio/bxybwkxj

the LFOs can also be used as arpeggiators: https://tahti.studio/exyxlady

13 Likes

!!! This is awesome!

i’ve just released version 1.3!

this release has a long list of changes, the most notable ones being the default sample library moving to a new open-source sample library and the DSP getting a major overhaul in terms of playback quality, modulation accuracy and de-clicking triggers.

smaller things include being able to send the delay to the three other master effects, downloading and importing your patterns as files, and various improvements to the trigger repeat features. oh and my personal favourite: the tempo is randomised each time a new pattern is created! isn’t it strange that most music software always start with a same fixed BPM? :slight_smile:

anyway, you can read the full change log at https://tahti.studio

15 Likes

You are awesome sir, i love tahti !

1 Like

Extraordinary functionality in a browser. Congratulations on your contribution to making the world of music creation a better place. I imagine all hardware manufacturers are shaking in their boots…

2 Likes

LOVE this!

2 Likes

It still confuses me that the m and s next to each track select graphic doesn’t actually do anything ( it just displays their state, they’re aren’t toggle buttons )

I exported a stem from it , the loop/ region seemed a bit weird in audacity. Easy to tweak though.

Overall it’s very impressive and great for making loops / stems and nice to have width / ability to make things more stereo.

1 Like

not sure if i mentioned this already but: i totally understand the confusion, and initially those were indeed buttons. accidentally pressing them when just trying to change the track quickly started to become annoying though. i still felt like indicators were important so i left them there. tip: you can press the S and M keys when hovering a tab with the mouse to quickly mute/solo other tracks without having to switch to them :slight_smile:

this is a good point, there is some empty space before the rendered WAV-file at the moment. should be very easy to fix!

1 Like

gave this a shot but it’s unusably laggy! tempo is all over the place, lots of crackling. have it set to max latency with nothing else open and still no dice. opera, win10

Opera might be the problem here… I’ve only used Tahti in brave but every other chromium based browser should work quite flawlessly

haven’t tested with Opera myself, perhaps they have a lacking WebAudio implementation or something… although Opera is apparently using Chromium and V8 under the hood :thinking: i’d suggest trying it with Brave, Firefox or Chrome nonetheless.

fixed, turns out my power management settings on battery (80% cpu restriction) were messing with my network drivers and causing massive dpc spikes. I hate windows!!!

2 Likes

@maxjvh Some users on the AudioBus forum got it working inside AUM on the iPad:

6 Likes

If you are compiling DSP stuff to C++… React native has a wasm polyfill :upside_down_face: (if mobile is something you are interested in).

But yea keep it on web and accessible. Thank you for this project!

Hope you got your hosting egress figured out. Bunch of CDNs are very cheap now!

Is there an easy way to hook up a WASM AudioProcessor to audio given there’s no WebAudio on React Native (unless you use a WebView)?

That is a great question. Not sure why I blanked on that aspect. Maybe you could have a pointer to an empty webview? No clue how to communicate between them though. Seems sticking with web is the best option here. Good call!