Tahti.studio – a groovebox for the browser

hello everyone! i’ve built an 8-track groovebox that works entirely in the browser and is free to use: https://tahti.studio/ lurking on this forum a lot, i thought someone here might appreciate it :slight_smile:

some key features:

• sample-based sound generation with support for single-cycle waveforms
  • almost all parameters can be modulated on a per-step basis
  • each track has a multimode filter, distortion, frequency shifter, sample-rate reducer, and amp envelope
  • three freely assignable modulation sources per track (essentially flexible LFOs that can be used in one-shot mode)
  • steps have micro-timing, retriggering, probability, and trigger conditions
  • tracks can have individual lengths and sequencer speeds (the latter can even be step-modulated, because why not)
  • four send effect: chorus, phaser, reverb, delay
  • a master compressor and soft clipper
  • macro controls for working with all kinds of inputs (check out the shortcuts)
  • pattern sharing via secret links (e.g. tahti)
  • rendering patterns to .wav

it’s got a default library with some samples and demo patterns made by friends and myself to get you started, but you can also use your own samples. unless you decide to share patterns, everything happens in your browser and nothing is uploaded to a server. unfortunately, it doesn’t currently work on touch devices, only on desktop. i don’t have any kind of documentation yet but i think if you’ve ever used an Elektron box you’ll probably get a hang of things fairly quickly :smiley:

play with it and let me know what you think!

84 Likes

Straight from first glance, looks like an awesome job :slight_smile: Digging into it now,

1 Like

This is great, very intuitive and appreciate the hover-over guide.

1 Like

this is awesome thanks!

1 Like

Had a short session and first impression is: fantastic! Love the randomizer and the super intuitive user interface. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing! Works great and fun to use, I had to dive in for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice work ! It’s amazing what can be done in a browser these days.

What’s you opinion on this ?

1 Like

I think this is a great tool, very nice job. Any info on how you built it, language and such?

I like the little graph that adjusts the filter from LP/BP/HP, it looks like legs dancing.

1 Like

There sure is a lot of work and depth of conceptual design here! Have you done all this on your own? I wonder for how long (or how many iterations) you’ve been thinking and building this project.

2 Likes

Just playing with this now, looks fantastic… need to check if my headphones are dodgy with another pair as Iv’e got more audio coming from the left than the right here :+1:

1 Like

just wow…great work :+1:

1 Like

BTW, this has randomizer for param locks… something I’d love to have on Elektron’s boxes.

2 Likes

thanks yall!! glad to hear you’re enjoying it :slight_smile: don’t hesitate to share patterns links here if you’ve created something cool with it :sunglasses:

the audio engine is written in SOUL and the user interface is just JavaScript (heavily utilising React and Redux). although i really liked programming in SOUL, i’d like to rewrite the UI side in something else that’s more performant lol.

i’m really hoping that SOUL will see continued development! it’s a fantastic language for writing audio apps.

yeah it’s done by me only :slight_smile: except for most of the samples and patterns in the “factory” library! this was initially my master’s thesis project which i started working on a ~year ago. but i kept developing it even after the thesis was done (around six months ago).

please let me know if it’s not your headphones! i haven’t really tested the app on too many setups yet so it’s indeed possible that it behaves strangely on certain systems.

9 Likes

@maxjvh this thing is amazing. Being able to render wav and dump in to the MPCX later. You’re on to a winner here. Thanks for this + :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: +

2 Likes

Hi there, tested on both sets of headphones, same issue. Left channel is fine but the Right channel is very low I had thought it was just the pan settings but no. I’m on Mac best maybe ask other users here?

Doesn’t change the fact that this is an absolutely inspiring groovebox I love it mate :+1:

1 Like

Spread is great too… really cool ideas there. Elektron could get some inspiration here.

2 Likes

very impressive.
I agree the interface is very intuitive, with one exception - the play button. It took me a while to find it.
Consider using a triangle?

3 Likes

I like how silly you can go with randomizers

1 Like

Cool that the Mac keyboard works with this too…

Space Bar - Start Stop
R - Record

etc etc. loving this :+1:

2 Likes

holy wow, this is fantastic.

2 Likes