Tabula rasa advice

Thanks for the heads-up. I figure between live play and the option to work with the sequence in detail once it’s in there, this won’t bother me too much.

In fact, I dread the entire wiping the instrument clean, much more. It just feels like Elektron’s file structure is fragile, somehow. Like you can actually delete stuff that permanently breaks the instrument.

I know you can’t.

It just feels that way :slight_smile:

Kind of like the exe-file or even the binary file is just somewhere in there, and if you just dig in, you’ll find it. And deleting it all, well, that deletes it all.

And Elektron customer support would go: “You did what? Dude, you’ve got yourself to blame. Did it say Delete All, or did it not say Delete All?”
“Yes, but -”
“And when you deleted it all, did it then delete it all?”
“Sure, but -”
“This ticket is closed.”

On A4, there is this “save twice” rule that is a bit annoying, it’s true.
You have to think of saving one pattern before switching to another, and then save the Kit as new for the new Pattern. Two saves for one Pattern switching ! It’s often too much, and that’s why there are chances you might break your good spot more than once.

The Tabula Rasa project precisely aims to

• avoid breaking a working Kit when you switch from a pattern to another.
  • avoid saving twice to avoid this

This way you have a 1 Pattern <-> 1 Kit relationship.
Just keep quick-saving your current Kit before switching, if you want to keep it as it is. But save once.

Saving Project is not as mandatory, only if you have a very precious sequence you wish to protect against any passionate session where you forget the “save twice” rule ^^

Saving Sounds is only to be able to recall a Sound in another Kit. And the Pool for Sound locks (this one is pretty powerful).

1 Like

Thanks. This makes no sense at all. But I’m sure it will, once I get my hands on the instrument.

There has to be perks in terms of flexibility with this system, I presume. In contrast, the Electribes employ a very simple and straight-forward save system, but you’re soon left wanting when you try to be ambitious beyond a singular pattern.

Once you’ve broken/lost your kit, you’ll remember this message :smile:

3 Likes

And now, it’s arrived. I shall exorcise it from the preset daemons, like 'tis was a Steven Spielberg movie.

Poltergeist ?
I made empty reset but reloaded factory presets from A4 rom. Devil still inside?
There were more than a thousand sounds.
It can be interesting for me to listen the factory stuff.

Poltergeist indeed.

Factory sounds weren’t that impressive iirc.
I learned more from LEM pack.
All free A4 packs had something to teach, like crazy ideas of modulations…

2 Likes

I’ve never been really impressed by factory settings after 20 years of using musical stuff.
Just an idea of possibilities, hopefully you can usually do better.
Today we can share settings all over the world. Good point. But if you want your music personal…
Empty reset.

On the AK nothing makes sense at all…the reason i kinda love it.

Well, a clean reset certainly seems to be the best way for me to enjoy this fine piece of gear. I’m enjoying myself immensely. In its raw form, it reminds me of a Moog - like its British, well-groomed cousin, but still enough brute qualities when required. The filters are bleedin’ awesome.

Before you dig to deep, don’t forget to load the tabula rasa project :wink:

Actually, I prefer it the way it is. I want a clear separation between kits and patterns. And I’m prepared to take the consequences :blush:

1 Like

And now, I’ve taken the consequences😱dear lord😱

1 Like

Does anyone have a link/copy to the Tabula Rasa sysex? The one with one kit per pattern preloaded? All the old urls are dead.

Necroing this thread for a friend… Does anyone have a copy of the tabula rasa A4 syx? @void ?

2 Likes

And will it Work in MK2?

This would be useful for me too if anyone has it knocking around

Could anyone upload Tabula Rasa ?
@LyingDalai ? @void ? @AdamJay ?

I won’t see my computer for 10 days at least…

@void ? Would you mind uploading it in the Files section please ?

1 Like