Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

That’s what I’m hoping is the case. That array of pad “pixels” would be enough to communicate quite a lot of info to the user, depending on the scan / refresh rate.

After having used the Circuit extensively, I’m confident that a display isn’t necessary for complex editing or operation of any kind.

Ninja development skills in usability design is, though. Don’t know about the general skills of ninjas in NZ, but if they’re any good, it won’t surprise me if they nailed this.

1 Like

perhaps you go into ‘synth’ edit mode and the buttons turn into an instant set of 16 parameters with 8 quick value buttons to use?

or it turns into a 16 channel mixer / fx send etc.

I’m very curious to see and hear what this thing can actually do, however judging it solely (and unfairly) by its aesthetics, I don’t think it will be for me.

Is it just me that is adverse to the near ubiquitous RGB-ness of so much new hardware?

I understand colours are supposed to make things more legible but for me its often like visual overload, just garish and distracting.

1 Like

I don’t mind it. But I saw something on Twitter a few months back comparing all these grid boxes and synths with their soft pastel colors to an eyeshadow makeup box. :laughing:

It’s an interesting way to have an adaptive user interface without just being another multi-touch surface.

Although I also have to admit that the Novation Circuit’s pads can be annoyingly bright sometimes, but it’s also something I use more on the couch and lower-light situations than some other gear…

i think the color pads on the Deluge are not distracting but very helpful in letting you do great things,
for example: you can have 3 different HIHAT tracks within one pattern and you can give them the color of your choice
and then pick out any of those 3 (while the other 2 get muted automatically if you want).

you freely can customize your workflow and in studio or live you don’t have to check, oh, where’s the hihat now?

that’s a good thing, isn’t it?

1 Like

This is one of the million reasons why Cirklon rocks so hard. No colour pads necessary, just pure brilliant design.

each has pro and contra

for me, Cirklon is like staring at a tracker

Enough pads there to depict a digital number readout, like this

Obviously this could be employed for any parameters one edits with a knob. Select parameter, twist knob and momentarily see the value.
Just saying…

2 Likes

Yeah I was surprised not to see a ton of shortcuts printed on the case around the grid pads. Seems like the obvious thing to do when you’ve got that many physical controls available and that tiny screen/few knobs…

Yeah, I haven’t paid much attention to this box but purely because I cannot possibly afford to like it!
These guys aren’t idiots I’m sure, it’s not like they came ashore yesterday upon sprouting legs and had never seen a synth before!
They want it to be a success and are more than aware of the market they are attempting to hit so in time it will become apparent, the manual will reveal all!
A little early to be giving the new boys a wedgie I think.

Yeah for sure. Looks like it’s gonna be very cool and prob grab one. Was just saying I was like 99% there’d be printed shortcuts on the final case and that would be the ui mystery solved. But looks like they’ve worked something else out. Intriguing/exciting piece of gear.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m totally curious to see when the manual and all things hit. I’m also fascinated by how they’re doing the launch day: giving a number of people 4 hours with the machine to write and then perform a track with it. They seem pretty confident in its abilities. Or have a lot of hubris. Either way, between this and the TastyChips ST4 synth/tracker, things are getting interesting and could be interesting alternatives or complements to Elektron gear in providing that tight sequencer/sound design control that I imagine many of us love.

Plus I’m happy to see small and new manufacturers make things outside of the Eurorack format and I’d be happy to see a new Elektron / Teenage Engineering type company have success and bring some new ideas to the market.

3 Likes

ST4 looks really dope. I’ll be keeping tabs on this.
BTW what ever happened with this?

1 Like

I dunno about that one man. I’ll keep an eye on it. but it looks like a musical game gear. I don’t have a lot of faith in the sounds you’ll be able to complete with that.

Ya I’m a sucker for little Gameboy type gadgets.

if it were just an 8-bit synth, I’d be more inclined because the aesthetic matches the sound. But what it’s marketing itself as, while it would be very useful, the bar is set low for me.

1 Like

Hey where are we about this ?
@Abhoth is in Lyon atm, he might be interested in checking this as well… Did you have further contact ?

1 Like

He already left france, we where note able to find a date that correspond to our both calendar! :frowning: