Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I finally bought it and is coming from New Zealand right now. I expect it to be here next Monday.

5 Likes

My GAS is insane after reading this thread. Iā€™m still rockinā€™ an MMT8 over here.

What did you switch to?

Mediocre keyboard player over here with zero desire to punch in xox sequences (I know the Deluge is much more than that), but want to compose in 4-8 bar phrases (as about as long as I can play a part competently), feed in live e-drums on CH10, quantize here and there to taste.

I love setting up an arp as a foundation, and layering on top, with delays, until I have something that grooves enough I can play along with on e-drums, try odd time signatures, just jamā€¦ but when Iā€™m onto something, thatā€™s when life falls apart: I feel like Iā€™m going to break something if I try to do any arranging on the fly, so obtuse shortcuts scare me a bit.

If yoy lust after an MMT8 watch this. This guy lusted after a modern alternative for years. Now hes found one. The Pyramid Squarp.

2 Likes

Well, since Iā€™m keyboard hardcore, I now have an Analog Keys. Itā€™s the only modern piece of gear Iā€™ve found that combines pro sound and design abilities with a great sequencer and a solid board.

Though I donā€™t think you need to be able to play, to appreciate the workflow and interface of a keyboard-based workflow. To me, the difference between a keyboard connected to something, and a keyboard integrated into the flow, is fundamental. I tried all kinds of boxes, including the Deluge, connected to solid midi keyboards. Itā€™s not a bad option, but itā€™s something else.

And in the end, Iā€™ve just realised that I want a proper workstation with a quality board, that has a modern analog sound and doesnā€™t need its own house to fit into the studio. There are no other options that the Analog Keys then.

Besides, I think Elektronā€™s workflow is very fast and immediate once youā€™re in it. Their stuff takes some time to learn, but they stick to muscle memory. Once youā€™re in the groove, theyā€™re very fluent.

Ah, I had one, traded it in for a REV2. I didnā€™t get along with Elektronā€™s jive: squinty little screen, lack of poly, etc.

Did miss the External Keyboard button; made a better ā€œcontrollerā€ than my REV2, which uses NRPN + CC, but not Keyboard Local Off, so you lose control of the front panel if you donā€™t get those NRPN/CC messages back in again.

I think somebody needs to make a Deluge/Pyramid/Cirklon (i.e. modern sequencer) with a quality keyboard attached, with or without synth engineā€¦ like a workstation of yesteryear, but with CV/multiple MIDI Ins and Outs, and a modern display.

Fantom G6 comes close-ish, but not quite.

I agree. There are a few modern attempts out there to try different angles on the workstation concept. The JD-Xi, with its portability yet fairly flexible structure for the size and price, the Kross2 that just packs a lot of power in a very portable package, though the keybed is just plain awful. And letā€™s not forget the Miniak, which conceptually was pretty great but just horrible in execution.

Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s just no market for it. Keyboard players usually want their big boards and ALL the features in the world, if theyā€™re going for a workstation. Or you just want a piano. And the groove box funk crowd, they donā€™t want keys at all.

Yet, as I understand it, the JD-Xi has been quite a hit and the Kross boards sell pretty well, too.

I have an MMT8 actually, but it doesnā€™t do well with long/linear MIDI.

This looks amazingly simple and awesome: MIDI Looper from Future Artist:
http://www.future-artist.com/

I canā€™t imagine a world without a keyboard: I guess my goal is always going to be, subconsciously or not, to get better at playing an instrument (keys, drums, etc.). And while I like some helpers in either area (quantization, overdubbing, punch-in/piano roll fixesā€¦particularly because my left hand has a mind of itā€™s own on the keyboard sometimes), just xoxā€™ing my way through a ā€œsongā€ doesnā€™t really appeal to me in the slightest: too much programming, not enough playing.

Hereā€™s a video I just found!

This guy demos the deluge synth sounds:

Deluge stuff gets interesting around the 9 minute marker

edit: dammit. itā€™s a sample-heavy demo.

1 Like

Itā€™s marketed at 6 hours of battery life and I get about that much from mine. Itā€™s awesome.

That was great. I had an MMT8 for a while and I also loved it.

The more time I spend with the Deluge the more I think I donā€™t need anything else apart from it and my trusty ND2 as sample fodder.

I have a few niggles, but overall this is a great tool!

3 Likes

Inspired by a video I saw earlier about drums via the Delugeā€™s synth engine, I made my own ā€˜trackā€™ just using the synth engine. Itā€™s okay i guess but i found only an envelope decay setting of 1 to be workable for kicks for example. Also, saturation is pretty much on/off between value 0 and 1. In that sense I donā€™t suspect a very wide spectrum of sounds can be generated - but hey - i might prove myself wrong fiddling around.

This is on 1.4 by the way.

14 Likes

dude! your track caught me off guard. i like the grit and the groove is nice too

1 Like

I liked your track

Is this 100% Deluge?

1 Like

Had a quick play with the Deluge which I got today, seems like a deeper box than I was expecting, I was pleasantly surprised by the audio input as an oscillator - it reminds me of a Boss RPS-10 thanks to the weirdo pitch shifting stuff that you can do, great fun!

Not quite got my head around everything yet, but so far seems straightforward enough, definitely seems to work just fine without a screen, and overall it seems quite flexible.

4 Likes

Yes it isā€¦ synth tracks only, no samples, just oscillators. It is reaching its limits here (CPU) more tracks wouldnā€™t play simoultaniously. But to be fair thereā€™s quite a bit going on, a few doubles panned hard left and right with some fine tune difference to make a nice stereo image and some doubles (3 or 4) for the clap / snare . Itā€™s such a fun machine!

2 Likes

It took me a few days of playing with it and using the manual and Iā€™m still asking things to the facebook page, but once it clicks, itā€™s really super deep.

1 Like

The on/off behaviour of the saturator make it really hard to use.