Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

Anyone comment on battery life?

1 Like

@Polden @natrixgli Wow, that sounds awesome and goes way beyond what the A4 can do. The only way to randomise pitch there is by abusing the arpeggiator as far as I know. Conditional trigs are great, but they will only vary rhythm + (possibly) pitch together.

Well, theresā€™s parasequencing on the A4, not to be taken lightly. But it does fall short compared to the Delugeā€™s polyphony.

But I feel this part of the A4 donā€™t get enough love. It really is an eight voice synth just split up into four tracks, if you treat it right.

Actually, what I most prefer about Elektronā€™s conditionals are more the if or ands of the trigs - play it once, then not again. Play it during the fill, or play it every other time, or just every third. Those are the conditionals that I keep using. I donā€™t much reach for the random ones.

Whatā€™s cool about those is not just that a small pattern can become a bigger one, but also that you come up with ideas for a 16-bar pattern that you wouldnā€™t have, if youā€™d actually have 16 bars laid out before you.

So itā€™s not just a clever way to extend the four bar limitation, but actually a way to find completely new paths

3 Likes

Interesting. What do you mean by parasequencing? Playing a different voice on OSC1 and OSC2 of one track by parameter locking their respective pitches?

What Iā€™m missing most on the A4 is conditionals on pitch ā€“ say, playing a C instead of an A on every third run. That would be so great. As far as I understand conditional trigs itā€™s only about on and off ā€“ or is there a way to have a conditional change in one parameter (like pitch)?

Yes, by using p-locks, each voice can be tuned to two different pitches. Itā€™s the concept of the DSI Evolver, the Moog Sub37 and so on, taken to the next level. Well, maybe not next level, Evolver does this even better, but still.

I made a track where I just went parasequencing all over the place, and then took that to conditional trig town. It ended up a bit quirky, but as a showcase for how to push the A4 beyond its four track limit, I believe it has some merit.

5 Likes

About multisampling i understand you have to use kit for that (because its not really supported right now). Can you for example easily assign 4 samples to 4 octaves or a different sample every 4 keys or i have to create a kit element for every notes ? Cant figure it from the manual right now. My guess is you have to create a kit element for every notes.

Thanks.

1 Like

As far as I recall, the Deluge treated samples in one of two ways -

You either created a drum kit, which mapped one sample to each section of a track. Thatā€™d be your traditional drum machine, basically, but with any sample assigned to any section. These samples could be chromatically tuned to any pitch, both with parameter locks within the track and while you edited the samples - but using samples like this for proper chromatic action would be awkward, and really this kit is a one shot solution with a blast.

The other kit, the classic synth kit, could easily replace the oscillators with samples, which would give you a properly sample-assigned instrument. You canā€™t map this like MPC style, which is sort of what youā€™re describing I guess.

But as far as samples go, you can use them in all kinds of ways with the Deluge, as one shots, loops, time stretched sequences, instruments and whatnot. You might have to do a few workarounds to get where you want, but all the options are there, though in versions youā€™re perhaps not used to from before.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all the informations regarding the Deluge , very informative.

1 Like

You can also take for example an amen break and then divide that to X amount of drum track samples for basic loop slicing mayhem.

Ah, thatā€™s right, the Dellie is pretty good at them slices. Had a lot of fun with that back in 2017.

Sorry if that has been asked before:
Can the deluge work as a live looper?
Not as sophisticated as the ot but maybe mduw style?

It canā€™t currently immediately play back recorded samples, but itā€™s easy to record quantized loops and line them up for playback pretty quickly

2 Likes

Thx, Iā€™m considering trading my ot for a deluge just to give it a tryā€¦ Might be a cool portable setupā€¦

I got both, but Deluge is my favorite :wink:

I keep up on the development and RTFM pretty religiously but Iā€™m curious how you are able to record quantized loops.

Iā€™ll have another root around the manual but I wasnā€™t able to figure out anything resembling the OTā€™s recorder trigs or anything like that.

Assign one of the oscillators to Audio In.

Paint up its track with an endless Release note on a C3 pitch.

Hook up a Midi Out from the Deluge, into a Midi synced source.

Connect that source into the Delugeā€™s Audio Input.

Now, use the automated sampling start feature introduced in 1.3. I think you press and hold Record, and then Play when youā€™re ready to go.

The Deluge now triggers your midi source and starts sampling at the same time.

End the sampling as you started it, and the Deluge stops sampling as the sequencer reaches the end of the page.

This gives you perfect start and end points for any source youā€™re sampling this way.

5 Likes

Can you elaborate? At the moment I am missing inspiration and as you all know for sure this is something that is always pointing to changing gear :slight_smile: I know it doesnā€™t really help.

The deluge looks to me a lot like a portable spectralis functionwise. Without the analog filters but with sampling capabilities and better midi implementation. I know itā€™s hard for someone else to give advice but nevertheless

Please help meā€¦

Im also thinking about selling my Octa and go for the Deluge.

Reasons :
1- Im a keyboard player and the Deluge sequencer looks way better for what i do. (not limited to 4 notes)

2- The Octa is powerful but at the same time i dont use most of the features. For example i prefer editing samples on the computer, granular stuff on the Octa sounds so so , to much artifact , clics and pops. Slicing on the Octa is great thought !

3-I mostly use the Octa to play backing tracks + sequencing other gears and one shot samples and the Deluge can do this more easier i think. Sometime i feel the Octa is kinda non intuitive even after all those years.

4- I i dont like Octa Fx at all except maybe the filters. From what iā€™ve heard the Deluge delay is great.

5-Fm synth looks great though i dont really care about the VA. What seems interesting is the fact that you can use sample has OSC.

6- the Deluge is still being developed ! I dont think we will see much new dev for the Octa but we never know (conditional trigs has been added)

3 Likes

Thank you