Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I have a question for Deluge owner.
I understand that since os 1.3 samples are streamed directly from sd card.
I only use my Octatrack for backing tracks + triggering samples in live situation.
Can the Deluge work for this ?
I mean playback long audio stream sync with midi ?

I would like to replace my Octatrack with the Deluge.

Thanks !

Yep :blush:

Hummm , this is very very interesting :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve read somewhere that midi timing is excellent.
I need to do some more reading but i think im gonna go for it.

About sampling , when creating a kit its possible to assign a samples for each notes with 2 layers (2 OSC) its that right ?

Thats right! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that is correct.

This demo is great !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHqadoIYtk&t=105s

@andreasroman Iā€™ve just read everything you wrote on the Deluge in this thread starting 2016ā€¦ It has been incredibly helpful and fun to read, as I have to decide whether I return an A4 to the vendor to get a Deluge instead. Iā€™m primarily drawn to the idea of using a piano roll without sitting in front of a screen.

Thereā€™s one question about the Deluge I have not been able to get a definitive answer on, so maybe you or the other folks in this forum can help. (I asked elsewhere, but Iā€™m not sure whether they understood the question.)

Is it possible to edit a single track polyphonically on the ā€œpiano rollā€, as you can, for example, on the piano roll of a DAW? Say, trigger C E G B on a single track?

All YT demos Iā€™ve seen create single voice melodies, and when they press a new note in a column the new one lights up and the old one gets deactivated.

Iā€™m totally aware that the Deluge is polyphonic over a ton of tracks, only limited by CPU. What Iā€™m wondering about is polyphony in a single track, and whether and how this can be edited (and seen) via piano roll. Think making a canon or some other kind of counterpoint. Iā€™m specifically interested in the piano roll workflow; just playing it live is not what Iā€™m looking for as Iā€™m not a trained piano player. Iā€™m interested in exploring some more classical techniques and I donā€™t want to sit in front of a screen. I find this tricky on the A4.

Also, how does the UI work in the polyphonic case? Do you press the keys to activate and de-activate? Does anyone have a video on that?

Thanks a lot for anyonesā€™s help!
David

1 Like

you got it rightā€¦ press to active a stepā€¦ press and hold and press a distant step to create a lasting tone over several steps.

so if you want to create a chrod over one step you press the buttons in the same rowā€¦
you can make uneven lenght of each row if you want to extend the note over a few steps and want to let them start or end at different stepsā€¦ it is very similar to ableton pianorollā€¦

I do this all the time when I create harmonic drones out weird samples :slight_smile:
Or I take something like the fugue app and record one loop into a track of the delugeā€¦ very nice to create complex harmoniesā€¦

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the kind words. And @faktoid says it like it is, polyphony within a track is as easy as turning notes on and off. Really, CPU is the only limit here. Just bring it.

1 Like

@faktoid @andreasroman Thanks for your answers! Poor A4 has to go, but I canā€™t learn two instruments at the same time.

I think Sythstrom should make that feature a bit more prominent in their demos. Together with the scrolling this should make the Deluge the ultimate DAW-less composition machine.

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ll make a little video on that for others who might be looking for the same

1 Like

It really is an awesome sequencer. I guess they would sell more if they would market it only as a hardware sequencer.

Now itā€™s a good little synth (sound perhaps not for everyone, but I feel that itā€™s pretty good), great sampler and awesome sequencer. I guess no-one believes that combo to be true.

1 Like

I also think itā€™s worth pointing out that the synth comes to life when you plug in a keyboard to the Deluge. It responds really well to velocity. I actually think the synth engine is no better or worse than any other VA out there, once you learn it, certainly on part with the Electribes and the Circuit, and with a little more character to boost. The FM section certainly lends itself to add grit and filth.

In a way, the Deluge is a marvel in what it does. If youā€™re looking for a DAW in a hardware package, this is it. It has a slightly binary approach to composition and structure, which Iā€™d advise anyone approaching it to be prepared for. The workflow is great considering the feature set and its possibilities, but at times, I felt I was almost writing code when I worked with the Deluge. Which made total sense when you knew what you wanted to do, and less when you just wanted to experiment and try out things.

@andreasroman As doing math and writing code is how I make my living, that sounds quite perfect for meā€¦ :slight_smile: The only thing I can play live is the guitar.

Another question in that direction: How well does it do for ā€œgenerativeā€ stuff? On the A4, you can, for example, lock up to four notes to a single sequencer step, from which a random arpeggiator will then chose one or several to play. Is there something similar (or any other kind of randomness) possible on the Deluge?

Probability trigs would be another interesting thing.

2 Likes

Not to my knowledge, though I know that 1.4 will introduce at least probability.

But when it comes to patterns that evolve like organisms through a simple 64-step beat, I believe Elektron remain unchallenged.

Betatesting v 1.4 right now, I wouldnā€™t say so. Probability on the Deluge blows away the elektrons. So many more clever features. Every update expands this machineā€™s arsenal to the point it is becoming a do-it-all workstationā€¦

Tell me more. Now Iā€™m intrigued.

In what way does it gun down Elektronā€™s take on this?

the area where Synthstromā€™s implementation of probability excels is (unlimited) polyphony. I wonā€™t get into details as itā€™s released just in beta, but you can choose to have probability on the whole chords, or on the single notes, both independently, or considered as a whole, so that at each iteration it will play just one single note of the chord . In this way you can for example program a single bar that will play an ever changing melodyā€¦
and seen that we are at it, v 1.4 brings also copy and paste between tracks, songs, and even timeframes (!!!).
another improvement is scrolling display of filenames, this could seem a minor upgrade, but it makes sample browsing so much easier. now the lack of a proper display hurts way less.

1 Like

There are also clever ways Rohan has implemented probability interaction between multiple notes/trigs based on their sum, and made them dependent on each other in cool ways.

For example you can set two subsequent notes to 30% probability but configure the second note to only play when the first one was played. Or you can have a step with a shaker, cowbell, and clap; if their probabilities total 100, then exactly one of them will ALWAYS play, but it will be randomized based on the probability. (i.e. be a clap 50% of the time, a shaker 20% of the time, and a cowbell 30%, but ALWAYS be something.)

5 Likes

Mine arrives tomorrow! Super fast shipping