Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

It has line-in too I think?

1 Like

I hope so!

1 Like

Did I read somewhere that this was a USB host too? Could be nice to use op-1 keys to play/record notes/chords in to the deluge sequencer. Portable powerhouse :wink:

1 Like

Question: Does it sequence external devices polyphonically via MIDI?

I have my eyes on this :smiley:

Iā€™m not sure how easy would be it editing sounds with only a couple of knobs. Or the sequences. Anyway, this is the most interesting machine Iā€™ve seen in a couple of years - letā€™s see if Iā€™m not thinking too high about it :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve been wondering this too. Interested to find out. Maybe thereā€™s an ā€˜editā€™ button/mode and then all the step pads turn in to parameter shortcuts? Tho that would be a lot of shortcuts to remember without labelling on the hardware and I didnā€™t see any labelling like that in any of the pics so farā€¦ Op-1 manages great with only 4 synth parameter knobs tho, so itā€™s definitely possible that theyā€™ve made it work nicely with only 2 somehowā€¦

i could answer a lot of your qā€™s, but instead i say: Go to Ratingen (see above ā€œSternenlichtsā€ invitation)
or wait until Tuesday. Then ā€œSternenlichtā€ will give them :wink:

Going from these early reports, seem like the Deluge could be a winning combination of A4/AR/OT features but in Circuit format. Possibly not as deep as any of the individual Elektron boxes (singly or combined), but being able to multitrack sample/synthesise/sequence/add FX in a single, small format box is what a LOT of users on this forum (and elsewhere) are really looking/asking for; any manufacturer which provides the right features at the right price will (hopefully) do really well. Go Synthstrom!

Just wonder why Yamaha, Akai, Roland, Korg or even Novation donā€™t step up? All their current/recent offerings are built with some kind of requirement to hook up a computer and/or they are appealing to a entry-level price point (limited).

Yamaha/Roland seem happy to sell pro keyboards in the Ā£1-2k range and must do OK as they launch incrementally upgraded models every year. Why not a more pro sampling/sequencing/synth/FX groove box? Yamaha could rebuild the RS7000 at a third the size, speed up file handling/storage, add endless rotary encoders and allow the recent reface synth engines as plugin/options. Or Synthstrom could just release the Delugeā€¦ Now Iā€™ve talked about it, I hope it delivers. Weā€™ll find out soon enough.

3 Likes

I think, for a major developer, to release one box to rule them all, is commercial suicide. Youā€™d get the one and then youā€™re good. Itā€™s a product strategy that they come in pairs, triples or whatnot. Itā€™s not like the big ones canā€™t. Itā€™s just that they wonā€™t.

For a boutique developer, itā€™s another story. Like the Pyramid is for the sequencer, the Deluge will most likely be for the groove box. The boutiquers pour passion and enthusiasm into the development of a product, in their spare time or unemployed time or just whatever time they have-time, and come what may after that.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just that all those manufacturers have released these kind of products (to a greater/lesser degree) in the past. Other than form factor those top-end synths have almost all the features. I just donā€™t like the size or enormous keyboard (that I wouldnā€™t use). They could at least release a decent polyphonic/chromatic desktop sampler (I could handle mini-keys on such a product).

The OT features/form factor are perfect, the 8 monophonic channels are a creative limitation I can live with, the OS, load time and opening as you left it is perfect. Occasionally Iā€™d like more than 64 steps and/or polyphonic playback. The former is a conceptional Elektron limit (yes, there are also ways around it), the latter is just something I have became accustomed to with hardware samplers. Iā€™ll keep my (huge) rack sampler (and its slow OS/load times) a bit longer I guess.

1 Like

I hope they can ship this to the statesā€¦

1 Like

This is relevant to my interests

Does it send midi CCs?

ā€œGoing from these early reports, seem like the Deluge could be a winning
combination of A4/AR/OT features but in Circuit format. Possibly not as
deep as any of the individual Elektron boxes (singly or combined), but
being able to multitrack sample/synthesise/sequence/add FX in a single,
small format box is what a LOT of users on this forum (and elsewhere)
are really looking/asking for; any manufacturer which provides the right
features at the right price will (hopefully) do really well. Go
Synthstrom!ā€

+1 Kalimari!

(except of course, that the Deluge is all digital)

some user will maybe miss more outputs or a second midi out,
but apart from that it is a very unique instrument, that letā€™s you do
crazy stuff in no time.

And as you said: other TRIED to do this with various groovebox attempts.
Here it seems, that the design had not been spoiled by marketing or conservatism
or binary brainies.

i think a lot of people will love it.

4 Likes

I could stand to lose a couple Elektrons if this thing comes close to any of them. Even not, I could go for a nice portable studio!

1 Like

i donā€™t see it as ā€œeither Elektron or thisā€.

1 Like

yeah, still, I could stand to lose a couple though

2 Likes

Yeah I think this is true to an extent that companies consciously donā€™t want to give too much inside one box. But, besides the fact that what a lot of people are often asking for is simply bringing old unitsā€™ functionality/spec up to modern standards (a new mpc for example), thereā€™s plenty of middle ground that the big companies (and recently also seemingly Teenage Engineering and Elektron) just ignore for no good reason at all. Loads more features could crossover on units that donā€™t have the same main focus (analog/digital/sampling/drum machine/fx) without hurting sales overall. They could be more generous/creative on feature sets without losing sales. Guess itā€™s just easier to build/program/bug fix less intricate hardware and it ends up being companies that are still at the ā€˜labour of loveā€™ stage to keep innovation moving forwardā€¦
Hoping Elektron havenā€™t lost their hunger and are working on some mind blowing new boxes for 2017 :wink:

I gather your questions now:

How many sequencer tracks for internal engine, how many for external gear?
Can it sample external gear, how long is the possible sample length ?
Is there timestretch option for the sample ?
Can it stream from the internal card backing tracks?
What is the file format for streaming? Only wav?
Are there parameter locks?
Is there a lot of ā€œshiftā€ button operation needed?
How many notes per pattern?
Individual speed /clock divide per pattern?
Is there a linear sequencer?
Can it send polyphonic notes via midi? (How many?)
Has it a musical scales function ? (Similar to push?)
Is it a USB Host too?
Can we insert external USB HDD /pen drives?
How many patterns per project ? Is there a song mode? (User definable pattern play list=?)
Can the sequencer /song mode also mute individual tracks?
Can the sequencer live record?
Is it batter powered or portable?
What are the FX included? Are there FX chains possible ? FX return tracks? Or insert FX?
Are there user configurable performance modes /knobs ? Can the buttons be used as performance
macros?
Can it play a single sample polyphonically? If yes, how many voices?
Can it layer samples (kick drums for example) to a single pad/equivalent? if yes, does each layer have its own ADSR etc?
Is there some VST integration planned ? Or a program existing to control it externally?
What are the options to filter midi i/o?=? Are there midi maps ?
Are midi CC messages recorded from external gear?

If you would like to add to the list, please feel free to comment.

1 Like

@ callofthevoid

sometimes it is not that you can do EVERYTHING, but that the sum is straightforward and creative.
If it takes more than ā€œa push of a buttonā€ to sample on a sampler, then maybe it is not the ideal workflow :wink:

2 Likes

Can it play a single sample polyphonically? If yes, how many voices?
Can it layer samples (kick drums for example) to a single pad/equivalent? if yes, does each layer have its own ADSR etc?

Thanks!