Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

No matter, i´m happy for you of course - glad you found your way out of the problem. And hopefully, when i recieve a Deluge of my own and run into the same or similar problems i can check this thread for solutions since you probably have encountered them all.
Meanwhile, i think i will order a Sonic Potions LXR just to satisfy my GAS and keep myself distracted. :wink:

1 Like

Sounds great. Just get in touch if you want Deluge advise, I’m happy to help.

Thanks, appreciate it. :slight_smile: It does not seem to be very complicated, at least not compared to other devices i have worked with through the years, but you never know. Good to have an experienced user to ask, if everything else fails and i run out of hair to pull.

1 Like

Well, for what it’s worth, here’s my first finished track with the thing. Make of it what you will, I’m accepting feedback of all kinds, just bring it, I can take it and will love you for it no matter what.

And here’s the link:

6 Likes

Here you go, this is from a Marantz tape recorder…

:grinning:

8 Likes

Best part is, I can work with that :blush:

2 Likes

Can the deluge do polyrhythms? Heard this is a feature of the Pyramid. Interested to hear more comparisons between the two. The screen on the pyramid seems like it would come in handy, but IDK?

Yep. Any track can be any length, independently of each other.

Right. So today, the Synthstrom dude added slicing, extensive track edit options, undo and increased midi support.

This one developer guy just rules.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was simply salivating after I saw the facebook post and I had to rush to studio.

A brilliant update. Quantize menu option is a welcome addition as well. Program change for midi tracks.

1 Like

How do you think they are able to be so agile? Is it because only one product to focus on? I’m genuinely interested as other products I own are getting a lot of flak from slow updates. These guys seem to be over delivering, in principle I should have given them my money.

2 Likes

There’s just this one guy, Rohan Hill, and I’d imagine he’s lived with his codebase for years. So he knows it inside and out. Considering that he’s also designed the product, the architecture is probably very flexible from the ground up. It’s a rare match of creative meets engineering without compromise and multiple wills involved to muddle the vision.

5 Likes

That and combined with superhuman skills, I’d assume.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, all things considered, he’s got raw talent in spades. So that certainly helps.

And that works as long as you got one product, and you do that and just that.

But a comparison to Novation and Elektron, for example, both pretty active as far as firmware updates go compared to other developers, isn’t entirely fair.

By necessity, they have to recruit and grow if they want to offer a wider range of options for people who enjoy what they do. And that will always come at the expense of quality. Sometimes, it’s the kind of quality you wouldn’t miss anyway, but sometimes, it is. And you just gotta realise that either you’d have this one man army who’d made just the Octatrack, and maybe that’s where Elektron would be today - or you’d have this company that makes an entire family of products that all adhere to the same philosophy, and that’s cool too.

None of Elektron’s current outings are as sharp and focused as the Deluge, but they’re also part of something bigger, it’s your gateway to something else. You’ll have to go through their growing pains as far as QA and release schedules go, but compared to what you get, I’d say it’s a small price to pay.

3 Likes

I think Rohan is a great guy, a good listener to his customers and very passionate about his work. I think that makes the Deluge a great instrument only for that part. Other than that I have a lot of fun with the Deluge. I think its a great instrument. Well thought about. And its getting better and better.
At the moment I have some problems syncing my modular to the Deluge. Is anyone else using the Deluge with modular? And having problems with the CV outputs?

2 Likes

That seems to be a trending issue right now. I use it on its own, so I can’t say, though I did have some sync issues when I hooked it up for clock with just the trigger output.

What kind of problems are we talking? I found I had to adjust the Ppqn settings in the CV menu and the tempo division (hold Learn + turn Tempo knob) to get it right

It stuttered and missed a step or two, like a glitch of sorts. Kinda cool in its own way, though I wouldn’t mind if it was okay with my way too😊

I’ve given the resampling feature a more serious spin, and found a way to get loops with perfect start and end points, which is similar to recorder trigs in Octatrack. Well, all right, maybe they’re not, but bear with me here.

So you can assign an oscillator to accept audio in, either mono or stereo. You open it up with a full release and then just let the sequencer loop the track assigned to the audio in oscillator.

Now, you sync the Deluge to send clock to whatever you want to record, in this case my awesome Sub37. I’ve got a sequence ready to go from the Sub37.

Now, if you trigger the resampling function from the Deluge, it starts the sequencer, it also send clock to the Sub37 which then starts it sequencer, and recording begins at the same time. There’s your perfect start point. Resampling, however, can stop as a bar is ended, so you can let it run for how many bars you want and then say stop, and it’ll end on a perfect break.

Okay, so it’s not as awesome as recorder trigs, but it is a perfectly trimmed recorded sample with razor sharp start and end points.

And since the Audio In oscillator allows you to manipulate the input as if it was a synth oscillator, you can apply any and all effects to the signal at the same time, and even play it at different pitches. Which is just so awesome, it’s silly.

7 Likes

Well, i finally got my hands on the Deluge! :grinning: Happy as a clam, though i had no time to fiddle with it yesterday - just put it in the studio, disconnected, to warm up properly before i start using it. Gothenburg is cold at this time of the year.
Kudos @andreasroman for letting me be the new “dad” to his device, i promise to be a good father and take great care of it!

3 Likes