Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I was about to buy an Octatrack, but I kept on thinking that perhaps it’s a bit too compicated for my simple mind. AND I’m 100% sure that the minute I’d buy one - Elektron would announce OT2. Thought also Toraiz, but it didn’t quite convince me. Then Deluge came and at first it felt a bit gimmicky, but when watching those early videos, I was convinced that the step sequencing part is so nicely executed that I’d love it. Synth engine + sampling at the same device, yes please. Sequencing external gear - nice. And EVEN if the internal synth engines or sampling wouldn’t be good enough for me, when you’re used to eurorack prices, using Deluge just to sequence my eurorack is worth the price!

While the manufacturing has been late, they have been busy with the software, adding for example sequencing CC - great!

The first Deluges have been shipped!

3 Likes

Man, you gotta let me know how this plays when you’ve played with it some. Still looks like a killer instrument.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll report! I’m pretty stoked, as this looks like my gateway to computer free studio.

4 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, I envy you. If the DigiTakt hadn’t been just around the corner, I’d probably put up my soul on eBay to get my hands on a Deluge. It seems to be such a fine piece of instrument, and so much devotion and passion put into it. I’d buy one just to support the gents behind it, if I could - but they won’t let me cause they’re all out :slight_smile:

I’m still really interested in this one too. Looks very interesting/fun. Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also super interested in the thoughts of anyone who took the plunge

Vids starting to show up now. Haven’t cleared this one myself yet, but it’s new. The Deluge is real now.

5 Likes

oh boi Im. kicking myself I missed the 1st batch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, man. If it wasn’t for the DigiTakt around the corner and that golden pre-order I had the sense to make in time, I’d be hurting myself now and deserving it.

If the DigiTakt for some reason would not be for me, I’m going for the Deluge or the Jomox AlphaBase, both of them seems real funky, though my preference is with the Deluge, for now.

1 Like

I think you need to go into time out and not look at other gear until your DT arrives, maybe avoid the forum even… :joy:
Honestly I don’t care but you were so excited about the DT I’ll almost be let down in some weird stupid way if you don’t get one! :smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to think that you’re my therapeut in this matter :slight_smile: don’t worry, I’m getting a DT, nothing’s gonna make me stray. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate what’s out there and enjoy beauty, though I know what I’ve got is golden.

I have a very strong feeling I’m gonna love the Digitakt, like I loved the Electribe ES-1, like I love the Volca Sample, and I’m thinking the Digi will have those bridges that brings ideas and reality together in the perfect way for me.

I’m like the addict, now clean, but still feels the pull every day but has learned to resist it. Just posting on this forum is a way to stick to the path.

1 Like

I’m pretty hooked on caffeine but somehow I’ve never had a problem with GAS… :smile:
To be on topic the Deluge does look quite interesting and it seems to be sneaking back in through the shadows of new mpc’s and Digitakt…
Whatever you end up with I still want to get it welded in a nice feng shui manner to you moog! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not so much a GAS thing for me. Or maybe it is, and I just don’t see it like that. But almost every instrument I’ve owned at one time or another, has been a positive experience for me. I’ve enjoyed working with them, playing with them, composing on them. The Electribe’s funky groove and flexibility, the grit of the Tempest and the amazing swing of its sequencer, the punch of the Tanzbär, the endless depths of the Octatrack, the genius workflow of the Circuit and the warmth of the Analog Rytm, that almost reminds me of the summer nights up north.

I enjoy them all and I do get shit done on them. But with little time to spare for music, and an ambition for coherence that might lead me to a body of work which might earn me proper gigs and even an album or two of modest success, I have to discipline myself, and find that balance between where my skills are, what I enjoy and what’s realistic, given my circumstances.

I’ve learned that my skills lie in playing and composing. I can’t mix or master, I struggle with gain staging, I don’t know how a compressor really works or how to work an EQ. And I won’t even try. If I got a good track, someone can help me with those bits.

I’ve learned that I enjoy just to play and to write music with immediacy, probably from my roots as a piano player. I don’t mind complex instruments, but they don’t fit my life situation. By complex, I mean beasts such as the Tempest or the Analog Four. By immediate, I’m refering to kits like the Circuit or the Volcas, and hopefully now the DigiTakt. But the raw experience of just playing led me to the Sub37. It all began with the keys for me. That’s what the Moog stands for.

And what’s realistic, is a small rig that in its limitations, defines very much the space in where I can work. I don’t have much time, I have three kids, I work a lot and my wife’s not well. But giving up music is not an option. The rig needs to talk to me with the same immediacy as a piano does, and it needs to be as enjoyable as just that experience of letting your fingers flow over an instrument and see where the subconscious takes you.

So that’s where I’m at with all this. Took me awhile to get there, but I’m in the right place now.

5 Likes

Sorry to bring up the dreaded “G” word but you did mention “addict” and “must resist”, no judgement on my end either way really. Anyway I find your philosophies intriguing and its like an ongoing saga…
I’m a known thread derailer with an affinity for space bananas, If we don’t get back to Deluge we might get banana split! :monkey_face:
Who’s got a Deluge and how’s it going for ya? Anyone with an OT+Deluge who can compare a little?

1 Like

Excited to see what this guy makes next. Clever dude. Great first product. Would have grabbed one of the pre-order deluges but the screen sketches me out for file browsing in large sample libraries. Still might cave in at some point tho depending how other users feedback on it…

Hope he does well and sells loads :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s the kind of guy that you just wish all the best. I hope the Deluge continues to do well.

1 Like

Not received my Deluge yet, but I will happily provide a comparison here once I’ve had an opportunity to use them together.

4 Likes

Hoo-kay.

3 Likes
3 Likes