Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

Couple new vids.

• Stranger Things jam. Onboard synth actually sounds ‘OK’ to me for what it is. Too clean for my taste in general but seems like a sound I could be happy enough in a lot of cases after external fx/ITB/cassette etc. Or just sketch stuff out on internal synth then midi out to hardware for final recordings…

• timestrech/pitch. Mainly interested in the sampling on Deluge so this is more of interest to me. Actually looks/sounds good. Could see it being a really quick/fun sampler sequencer…

Pretty tempted to get in on the intro price… Just that dammed screen holding me back. I could prob deal with the UI for synth parameters, it’s just the thought of browsing through gigabytes of samples :confused: And lack of slicing…

If they add confirmation of an android/ios app and slicing it’d prob be instabuy at the intro price…

Saying that, I’ve kind of forgotten most of what was in the other videos. Did automation rec and p-locks look well implemented? I’ll trawl through it all again at some point…

2 Likes

^ STROM for deluge ?! I’m sure someone can/will create such a thing if the interest is there… :sunny:

Gonna have a look at the new vids!! Thing thats holding me off the intro deal is no user/non official hands on experience/reviews of the finished produce…

1 Like

Hi friends

Has anybody here had courage to order one ?! Something tells me the prices will be closer to the octa than circuit when it’s released.

Hmmm

Has anybody had there hands on the final unit ?!

Cheers

Possibly going to grab one early next year. Hoping slicing and an editor/browser app will be added in the meantime…

The offer price makes me both twitchy to order and suspicious :smile:
I can’t imagine why I’d want to miss it for a few hundred less than retail fir eg, tho with no official release price to reference it’s harder to justify taking a gamble, because that’s the only reason I’m considering it, as (USED) It would potentially be worth at least what I paid if not more, when released…

1 Like

I imagine that much of my free-thinking time (such as it is) in the next couple of weeks will be debating ordering this now or waiting to buy an OctaTrack in a couple of months. I’m really wanting a general poly-synth and the last couple of shorter videos (including a noisy one) from them have me a bit more excited about the Deluge. Especially since at launch price it’s not much more than some of the poly-synths I’ve been looking at (which don’t have sequencers; at least not on par with what’s in this thing).

I mean, the Deluge really ticks off some right boxes for me. Most of my wishes for the Circuit (such as a simple but fun FM synth; being able to edit patches right on the box; and a pretty interesting sequencer) are ticked off by this - especially as it’s also fairly small and battery powered. It seems like my ideal portable groovebox that can be a good poly companion to the Monomachine.

But I don’t really have that kind of money to spend right now, and I’m not sure if its full price will keep it in ‘ideal portable groovebox’ range… So, haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Plus I’m waiting to see what Perfect Circuit and others will be offering for ‘black friday weekend’ deals and the cutoff date for the pre-release pricing is that same weekend.

new video showing freeform improv sonic destruction is pretty amazing

1 Like

I’m ready to take a risk but if it turns up and it’s pants or the hardware is poor, I don’t want to loose money because it’s a gamble.

I asked them for a retail price so I can be sure it’s worth the gamble rather than waiting for release and he was sure he has absolutely no way of telling yet… I dunno how it works but I’m non the wiser.

“Hi Leon. I just can’t even speculate at this stage. It is our goal as a company to have an affordable product, but primarily it’s to have an extraordinary product. We would love more than anything to keep it at the price it is, or similar, but there is a long road ahead and we don’t want to make promises we can’t keep.”

Edit - that ^ was the full message

Must be hard for a new company to assess how much and where expenses are going to arrive. For example if pre-sales are very low and word of mouth doesn’t spread etc I imagine they’ll want/need to throw a little money at marketing etc. Which would then need to be re-couped via the final rrp. I imagine it’s super stressful for a small one/two man operation trying to balance between what they ‘want’ to do/offer and what they ‘need’ to do/offer… He probably genuinely isn’t able to confirm yet so it’ll be a case of take a gamble or wait it out and poss pay more…

Of course … that’s the situation. I believe the idea is get some income fast.

there’s nothing to officially say the item won’t end up costing less either tho. Ha. Just they imagine it’ll be a lot more…
My enquiry was if they could confirm if it will cost more than the offer price when released, to warrant the relatively blind buy.

Whichever way, that’s where I am on it. :sunny:

My mind says wait, but the offer price is what it’s worth to me. I think :blush:

Hey it’s Friday :scream: x

1 Like

don´t know why they didn´t start a kickstarter campaign…

4 Likes

They should be able to understand their R&D costs, cost to manufacture per unit, how many units they need to sell to break even. This information drives unit cost. Never seen a product sell this way. To risky to lay down funds upfront when they are running the business like this.

2 Likes

Still can’t understand what they didn’t put a decent screen on this thing.
Would have been interested.
Editing just doesn’t look intuitive enough unfortunately

1 Like

Took the leap of faith and preordered one.

Might solve my “sample fast and use results immediately” problem as I don’t have any hardware samplers yet. If Iwouldhave gotten an Octatrack, Elektron would have announced OT2 the next week.

Also, sequencing is really well thought. So, I doubt I won’t be using internal synths so much, so the editing with a stupid 4 character screen doesn’t trouble me much. Just fingers crossed that this device will sell well and that we’d get awesome updates with new features…

1 Like

Sweet :slight_smile: It looks like a great box for the kind of stuff you’re talking about. Let us know how you get on.

Could it be it i’s easy to see the Deluge with the wrong expectations and miss totally what it’s unique strengths are?
The mangling potential is rally amazing. The sequencer is among the best in hardware i’ve ever seen.

Yes it only hae one midi out, but that’s 16 channels.
Yes the synths / sampler could be easier to navigate, but maybe there is an update with shortcuts via the sequencer buttons. PLus, i’m sure midi controllers can be used. And i really like the sound of the FM synth. In combination iwht the sequencer as shown in the last video, you can get very special results.

On the other hand you got cv gate , sampling via mic (which is super handy for crazy stuff) and “to go” via rechargable batterie. There are so many hidden great features, like sidechaining for different parameters (rhythm paradise!) and all that

I don’t worry about the build quality, i’m sure they did take care bbout this.

What i would welcome are a few more freaky fx and the possibilty for parameter recording.

But all in all it’s a great box to me.

4 Likes

Feel a bit more confident others are splunging for it… I think I’ll probably crack before the deadline.

1 Like

I was about to get a sampling eurorack module but started to think that Deluge would be much more versatile overall. Much more bang for buck, I’d say, compared to super expensive eurorack. You’d need quite a few modules to get even close to Deluge features in Euro. Another contender would have been Toraiz, but it’s also really pricy and I really like Deluge looks. It looks like it was designed to put between my Dominion 1 and Eurorack!

Ok, now the hardest part is waiting and NOT buy anything stupid while at it.

3 Likes

I agree man, this thing looks really really good.

If only they put a little oled display like the minilogue, this would be a no brainer.

Somehow I have a feeling that the display is some sort of relic from the early days of the design iteration. First, just some features and then the 4 digit was just fine. Then, adding features on top of features… at some point it’s only intuitive for the original designers.

Elektron, Pro12 and Modal have it right, imo. Context sensitive knobs with additional display info would have been awesome with this product as well.

1 Like