Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I’ve bought and sold more gear thand i care to admit but the MnM MD and Sidstation will always be a part of my collection. The 909 is a solid piece or sure the best groovebox Roland ever produced but I had no problem give it up once I started working with MnM and MD.

Yeah it had two D-beams, just like the V-Synth. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been through a fair bit of gear myself (much to the annoyance of the missus), but wouldn’t say the Elektron stuff is any more pro than anything else I have owned.

I definitely would on build quality alone.

as a very long time user of an1x im pretty sure there was no parameter locking. they had freeeg which was a custom recorded envelope.

I guess I didn’t get enough into the free eg when I had it since it does seem to do something similar.

It has been some time since I used an AN1x, but as well as the free EGs (which I think recorded continuous modulation) I believe the step sequencer could also play CC events per step.

Jeez… whilst it is real interesting hearing about these classic boxes, is it ok if i talk about the deluge thing again ?! :wink:

I’d like it to just function as a sequencer/sampler and it seems like it’s got big potential to me… the synth and fx are a tidy bonus and I think I’d pay the entry fee without them.

That’s all :slight_smile:

Edit - I do wish it was possible to hear proper hands on user experience of a finished product before I start thinking of how I’ll pay for one tho… the direct weekly payment thing is a neat idea rather than adding to my card debts :blush:

1 Like

Have you seen the MISA Digital nsc-16/32? Link

2 Likes

just checked the manual and you are correct… never knew that about the AN1x, but it was a great little synth in terms of sound… too bad the UI was so underpowered, seemed like the knob resolution was horrible, lots of stepping

both the RM1x and the AN1x were super awesome in many ways… I was a total yammy fanboy at the time, expecting that specific trend or line of gear to continue and only get better and better - which sadly never happened, and altho the RS7k was a great advancement it was almost a victim of its own innovation, and too far ahead of its time

Anyone know if there is slide/glide per step of the sequencer?

Watched the videos and as a sequencer, this would be really great. Perhaps not as many midi outputs as I’d need, but still, really great workflow - flexible note editing with zoom functions are really cleverly implemented.

For sampling - yes, looks pretty capable, if a bit basic. Editing with 4 character screen is starting to be a bit problematic.

For synth… it looks horrible to try to menu dive and edit the options. I guess I’d never do anything else than edit ready patches a bit with that interface.

Still tempted to get this, mainly for sequencing hardware gear. I have Beatstep Pro, but I pretty much hate it for anything other than basic modular gear drum sequencing. Deluge would look ideal for hardware drum sequencing, but unfortunately you cannot set individual lines so that they’d have configured the midi channel and/or note the way you’d like. Asked about this by email and got this answer:

Within one drum track, you cannot output to separate MIDI channels / notes (you can set up to 4 rows to output to the gate outputs though). To output drums to MIDI, you’d have to create a separate MIDI track for each MIDI channel you wish to output to, then scroll vertically to the note-code you wish to output.

Does that help? We’ll have our manual online soon…that might make things clearer.

oh no… that sounds extra wonky. seems like MIDI output is almost an afterthought, considering the lack of flexibility there

then again, it could probably be entirely changed in a firmware update or something

im still gonna hold out for a MIDI-sequencer-only model or something like that, but I guess the possibility for that will depend on how successful this unit is… so i wouldnt expect anything soon

a damn shame… im in love with that UI… c’est la vie

Same here! I guess those midi issues could be solved, perhaps easily, at least technically. Flexible midi routing is really mandatory if you want to sequence external gear…

You should be able to set drum rack rows:

• Any midi note per row
  • Any midi channel per row
  • Customized CCs for encoders per row

Then it would be awesome! Hold multiple pads from different rows and then you’d be able to parameter lock them all with encoders with whatever CC is assigned to those! Holy modulation batmobile!

2 Likes

Its the sampler aspect I am interested in.

Any info on the sampler specs and capabilities?

In mail they promised to add the manual online “soon”, so hopefully it’s then easier to evaluate the features.

Manuals get my gas fizzing more than anything!
Hopefully it will be up soon and will be well written, hopefully not one of them ‘Frequency Knob - affects frequency of the filter’ type pamphlets!

For those just wanting a sequencer in this form, the LinnStrument Grid has a new $999 version and it and the larger LinnStrument now have step sequencer functionality.

I’m still leaning towards adding a Deluge to my lineup. Its launch price actually compares favorably to some gear expansion ideas I’ve been toying with. But still waiting to hear more and to see what Novation and Korg announce in coming days.

2 Likes

yeh i looked into it but its more like an instrument that can sequence rather than a full-on sequencer… 4 parts total, etc. etc. etc.

maybe he will do a full-on sequencer next tho… could be cool

With what could be seen so far, people can hardly decide to order until Nov 29.
Synthrom should put out some videos about creativity and workflow.

I’m also not sure about the synth controls - though i kinda like the FM part from what i’ve heard -
but the sequencer alone is dope.

But ordering this without trying with so little info or hands on… hmm…

Synthstrom, where are the performance videos from the launch?