SYNTHESIZE: An analog love story

Still want to know just how lucky nerd got
Awaiting directors cut

1 Like

Itā€™s like the woman was engineered in a lab to be as helpless as possible. Shows up literally on his doorstep, doesnā€™t speak English, apparently canā€™t even book a hotel so she has to sleep in his bed. Not only that, but the Polivoks is important to her because itā€™s related to a man instead of being, yā€™know, important in itself. @Anfim is right, it comes across as some dudeā€™s creepy fantasy. Itā€™s 2018, give your female characters some goddamn agency.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the woman was portrayed as helpless, she finally finds someone who can fix her synth after numerous failed attempts, which shows commitment and determination, and travels halfway across the planet to do so, she fell asleep presumably because of jet lag due to the 9+ hour flight whilst waiting for the synth repair guy to fix it. That she doesnā€™t speak English is to be expected since she is from a country where it isnā€™t the native language, so I donā€™t think that qualifies her as helpless either. The synth was her late fathers (who through no fault of his own was a man) not just some random guy, and the picture shows her fond memories of them together, when she was much younger and her father was alive, with the synth which presumably he treasured as well.

But Iā€™m curious if the genders were reversed or the both the same would people have a problem with it? I still personally think the story was a bit of a cliche, but Iā€™d think that if the genders were reversed or both the same too.

5 Likes

The only other slice of cheese missing from that vid was a man-bun.

5 Likes

imagine spending the time to make this. iā€™d be pissed

1 Like

I gave it another chance. I think if you separate the acting from the story itā€™s a little more palatable, but not by much.

1 Like

I find this short movie rather touching. The spirit is good IMO, and so is the soundā€¦ Maybe a bit clichĆ©, but in a soft way.

2 Likes

Did I type something wrong or bad?

1 Like

I found the ā€œplotā€ cheesy but if you consider it from the perspective that itā€™s about the SYNTH not the characters, and that the guy who is doing the repair is a real dude who actually repairs synths itā€™s pretty obvious that despite the sadly somewhat thin plot itā€™s really just a story about the synths we love and the lengths weā€™ll go to to take care of them, and other synth fans too. Itā€™s about the synth family.

Sure, they could have switched the tech out for a girl, made the guy the one in trouble, etc., but then itā€™s a film about politics and less connected with the realities of the people who made it, rather than a film about a synth and a girl who will do anything to get it working again, and a guy who understands someone elseā€™s love for synths and is willing to sacrifice his hard-found part because he gets it.

Also, itā€™s a short film. Shorts are hard to please everybody with. Plots are often highly contrived to get to the real point. You need to watch it from that perspective, too.

5 Likes

I think itĀ“s technically well done, but with a rather weak naive story. Even for a short movie just ok, i actually prefer the Elektron short moviesā€¦

2 Likes

I kinda liked it. Not sure we get to ā€œpower fantasyā€ so quick, all I saw was a guy willing to help and is so passionate about synths he wanted to share in his passion. I guess those of us who liked it arenā€™t ā€œWokeā€ enough :joy:

3 Likes

Itā€™s just a short sweet piece of nerdy fluff. Not everything created has to be about the struggle. Iā€™m all for differing perspectives and people speaking their minds. But Iā€™m not getting a ā€œmale nerd power fantasyā€, etc.? I didnā€™t even see a romantic/sexual love story at all. Just a girl who travels across the world to fix a family heirloom synth.

The plot is unnecessary? Or the film itself is (that opinion I could understand)? What are they supposed to do without a plot? Even most documentaries have some structure.

4 Likes

Huh? Why canā€™t it be both - she enjoys the synth and it has some sentimental value attached? She was jamming on it after all. It wasnā€™t on a shelf collecting dust.

5 Likes

The very basic plot was fine: person needs thing of sentimental value fixed so they do what they can to get it fixed.

But it didnā€™t need fake broken English, a man reviewing footage of himself saying ā€œletā€™s see if she purrsā€, umā€¦ what else. I dunno, not gonna watch it again. If Iā€™m wrong Iā€™m wrong.

No right or wrong. Just trying to understand your, and others, opinions and see where youā€™re coming from. Iā€™m always curious about such things. It helps me learn and discover things I (obviously) would never have picked up on.

As a creator ofā€¦ various things, itā€™s always interesting to see how people react once you put your work out there. I remember watching some documentary about minimalism a while back which I thought was a pretty decent effort. It got ripped to shreds on related forum. Most of the feedback was ā€œwhy didnā€™t they do this?ā€ ā€œwhy didnā€™t they do that?ā€. I can only summarize it as, most people wanted something tailor-made to their exact specific situation and narrow parameters. It really baffled me. I was puzzled by the inability of a large portion of the audience to simply take whatā€™s relevant or valuable to them, and leave the rest. I see similar feedback on blog articles, etc. all the time. Itā€™s like saying why didnā€™t this content which someone worked their ass off on, and which I consumed for free, speak to me exactly the way I wanted?

I would encourage people to make a film, song, book, blog that speaks to you and tells your story exactly the way you want. Thatā€™s always the best antidote to things like this, no? If you feel your voice and perspective isnā€™t being heard then write it, film it, record it, whatever. Thatā€™s awesome. The more the merrier.

But modern audiences seem to expect things to cater directly to them more and more. Makers make what they know, their experiences and perspectives, right? If some nerdy white male filmmaker writes a script about females, minorities, and foreigners heā€™s really stretching and it might not ring true. I would guess heā€™d be accused of co-opting, cultural appropriation, etc. Then heā€™s damned if does/doesnā€™t. He canā€™t win if he makes something that rings true to him and his experiences/perspectives, or heā€™s damned if he tries to broaden his horizons and include diverse characters and understandably canā€™t quite pull it off.

I feel weā€™re headed towards a time when the only thing ā€œsafeā€ to release will be watered down, artificially inclusive, politically correct content. I think itā€™ll be best if everyone just creates from their perspective and shares it with the world. Weā€™ll get truer and more accurate content from which we can all learn a bit more about each other.

4 Likes

People are free to make whatever films they want, and weā€™re free to call them out as we see them. Itā€™s just a conversation right? Why are you so afraid that the filmmakerā€™s feelings will be hurt by it?

1 Like

because of this video i sold all my modular gear.

1 Like

you see, to the hammer everything looks a nail.

2 Likes

You seem a tad combative in your response. I thought I was also free to write whatever my perspective/opinion is, so I wrote it. I thought I made it clear in my post that I enjoyed reading and learning from otherā€™s perspectives, including yours. Simply trying to understand and digest. Not sure whatā€™s hard to understand about what I wrote, or why you took it as me being afraid the filmmakerā€™s feelings are hurt? Like you say, itā€™s just a conversation - so, Iā€™m conversing. Did you expect everyone to agree with you?

2 Likes

I watched the first few minutes and liked the visual quality of it, and I like that someone spend some of their life force to attempt a film that features synthesizers centrally in the plot, I think overall itā€™s an honest attempt.

Reading this discussion here then makes me wonder.

I admire the will to include, and I admire the will to equality and fairness in all dimensions of life, however thereā€™s a thin line from fighting that good fight to fighting a righteous fight that in essence perpetrates the very problem it tries to resolve.

Forced inclusion is no longer inclusion at all and neither is it beneficial to eliminate all difference (or otherness) in an attempt to achieve equality. Erich Fromm said it best: euqality ought to mean ā€œof equal valueā€ and not ā€œsameness.ā€ The latter is not progressive, itā€™s violent.

Thanks to @konputa for sharing, I hadnā€˜t seen this before and now I know it :slight_smile:

4 Likes