Synth drum to pair with DT

Howdy. I’ve been looking for a drum synth to pair with my DT, and I recently learned about Nord Drum 2 and DoubleDrummer.

Both of which are no longer in production and are hard to find used.

Any other ideas on a low profile, multi channel drum synth to use on the midi tracks of my DT?

I’ve already got a DN and CMS paired with the DT, and I want to utilize the midi tracks on the DT with drums so I can free up the DTs first 8 tracks for sample duties.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

vermona drm1 mkIII might be an option? its around 700$ with midi from my understanding… seems pretty cool although maybe a small cheap box like a the volca drum which also seems quite cool could make more sense for cost. It is only 6 voices but a pretty great sound. It might be worth also looking into the 4 voice division department 01/iv and then pairing it up with one other unit.

2 Likes

There are many options for dedicated drum machines. Most of them have built in sequencers too.
Arturia has the DrumBrute/DrumBrute Impact
Elektron has the Model:Cycles and Analog Rytm
Roland has a few boutique (out of production but can still be found TR-08, TR-09) and the TR-8 and TR-8S from the Aira line.
Dave Smith Tempest is quite expensive but pretty cool.
JoMox Alpha Base

2 Likes

Yep agree with Marc on this @RandomSkratch
There are heaps of options - but hear you on opening up the full potential of the DT freely sampling whilst using the MIDI channels …

The Roland TR-8 is pretty good and the Korg Volca Kick or Bass are good too for the size and price.

Between the Arturia Drum Brutes - go the Impact as it’s warmer in tones.

1 Like

I have to sheepishly admit I overlooked the volca drum, and assumed it didn’t have multi channels/tracks. Seems obvious now, ha. I listened to a bunch of videos demos, it sounds like a great fit.

Thanks

1 Like

Those little volca drum units aren’t bad at all. I’m sort of addicted to drum machines and always find myself acquiring more and more. I really like the Impact and think it’s a great little jam box. Also the Cycle is great and has so.e really nice kd, and hats. Lately though I’ve been making drum tracks with an A4. Took me about 6 months of owning one to realize how deep this thing can go. I love its tone and range. I’m hoping to get a MK2 in the near future to pair with it. As I’m sure you know, the Mono Station isn’t too bad at drums, and with its plock ability can make some really cool loops. Also your DN can make some great drums. You can plock one or two tracks and use the other two for synth stuff.

2 Likes

You are correct about the DN and CMS, ha. I have many options for good drums, but it’s the idea of 8 unused tracks on the DT that drive me slightly bonkers, and I’d love to be able to mute, p-lock, etc the majority of tracks from one central brain (the DT).

1 Like

Oh I totally get it, was just something I discovered myself when I was I a similar predicament. Happy hunting.

1 Like

+1 for the Vermona DRM MKIII

1 Like

Strongly recommend the Volca Drum if you’re into synthetic-sounding percussion. Massive low-end and unapologetic digital sheen. It has a sound of it’s own. This can be a problem for fans of analog drums, natural PCM, or gritty samples. If you play to its strengths and don’t wish for it to be what it isn’t, it’s a powerhouse that can complement any setup.

3 Likes

The drm1 sounds great. But it only respond to velocity, which I find quite a limit!

1 Like

I have to suggest the Division Department 01/IV. I use it with my digitakt and it sounds very nice has lots of midi functionality, and pretty nice variety of sounds (plus individual outputs if you’d like to process them further).

3 Likes