Syntakt vs Rytm vs Digitakt vs Perkons

Erica LXR 02

or ST or Volca drum (the bronze one)

2 Likes

From those choices, Pērkons. Not tried Alphabase yet, but it’s only a matter of time hopefully. If you haven’t tried a Digitakt I highly recommend that first as it’s great. I moved on but the good memories are strong.

The Pulsar-23 is a wonderful luxury purchase, for what it’s worth. It’s so heavy, because it’s filled with really intricate components and boards and magic. Pērkons weighs nothing in comparison. Feels like value for money is higher with a Pulsar right now.

So you might wanna go Alphabase as I don’t know that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had the Alphabase and enjoyed it, the kick especially, but I liked the Modor better overall. I really like the Pulsar and will get another one someday to keep finally. Keep thinking about the Perkons but I just dont like 4 parts…I can excuse the Pulsar because it’s so cool.

Rytm is awesome…I’d get that.

1 Like

Ughh. I can’t do anything in 4’s anymore after buying the Subharmonicon.

1 Like

yes on fence about it and may pick one up to use with my new Digitone as that would be a great combo and use MIDI to sync them both up and easy to record either into my DAW or record to my 1010 Music Bluebox mixer recorder.

1 Like

I really love the Syntakt. The synthesis is relatively straightforward, yet you can dial a lot of sounds and get very creative with the FX bus.

One example: program polyrhythms and use the FX bus to shape a main rhythm with a kind of low pass gate.

I really enjoy the fact that it goes easily out of the drum box territory.
But more than everything it sounds very good!

7 Likes

I love both my Digitakt and my Syntakt.

They’re both beastly workhorses but are also beastly at getting weird in different ways.

That said, since you own the OT, unless you’re looking for a more streamlined workflow, the OT already covers so much of the DT territory and then some.

And since you own an A4, a Syntakt will have a bit of overlap in the Analog voices, where the A4 is certainly superior in that regard.

There’s a lot to be said for the Digi trio’s streamlined workflows, but you already have some Elektron flagships. Were I in your shoes, I’d consider the ARMKII to complete the flagship trio, especially if you like the Elektron way. It is certainly a beastly drum machine (some would argue the best money can buy) and is more complementary to your existing Elektrons.

Just my $0.02

Rytm MK2 FTW! Best performance Machine on the market. The Master Drive and Comp just bring this thing to the next level! The next closest thing is the Roland TR-8S
Had a DT, ST and still have the OT but since I have the AR I just can make a beat sound good in the club in seconds.

3 Likes

Get the Erica then.
Done!

will save up

Thoughts: Stay away from the alpha base. The Jomox Kick is what stands out and this can be had in X-Base09, 888/999 and mbase. The rest is quirky in the Jomox machines and it is very difficult to find sweet spots, and the OS/GUI is unintuitive and buggy and slightly different from machine to machine. The FM is much better put in an extra box like m:c. I‘d recommend the 888 if it must be (or 999 with 888 OS) - extra parameter for very smooth deep kicks.

Samples sound very nice if uploaded to the 8 bit engine of the 888/999.

No song mode in alpha base anymore (was pretty basic in the other machines - and not always working).

1 Like

I liked XBASE 09 kick, and the ability to plock, 25 years ago !
Aibase 99 kick was supposed to be the same, but it was weaker. Other sounds were ok, but not justifying to keep the machines. I didn’t want to keep the XBASE 09 just for a kick.

I didn’t like MBase at all, impossible to have full control of pitch sweep.

I wouldn’t exchange my Syntakt for any Jomox.

2 Likes

for me the rytm is the best drum machine ever. especially the mk2 with its internal sample function. you have millions of possibilities to design different tones. the trick here is the amp, filter, tune modulation with the fast lfo. and different filter settings with the trigs and much more… simply unbeatable. digitakt is just a sampler, it has absolutely nothing to do with rytm.

I can’t understand drum machines like the Erica Synthesizer Perkons or DFAM at all. that is of course a matter of taste. but to me it sounds like a simple noisegenartor and it sounds deadpan to the point of awful.

3 Likes

Except that the Rytm contains a complete DT.

3 Likes

Absolutely reasonable. Jomox to me is just for sound, some special sounds. For structure the Jomox machines are just too frustrating.

2 Likes

I’m excited to see if elektron will release another update. it can only get better than it already is.

1 Like

I’ve been very deceived by MBase 11, I wanted an Xbase 09 kick, to replace Rytm kicks. Very happy when I saw Syntakt release, so I could have Rytm kicks again !
(I didn’t need all Rytm features, sold to symplify my setup and workflow, but it is a great drum machine).

1 Like

I have Octatrack, Syntakt and Digitone Keys.

Besides my DAW, Studio One, and a Moog Werkstatt, they’re all I have.

There are some sales currently and I’m heavily debating my want for a Digitakt. I’ve come to the conclusion it sounds different than the OT and its simplicity inevitably leads to different results. I owned one in the past and really loved it.

With that said I’ve been considering other more feature filled additions to my setup, an MPC Live II or moving to Ableton Live to incorporarte it as an instrument in itself and produce content for the OT and now possibly DT.

I feel like Syntakt is a bit closer to the Digitone in terms of the sounds FM naturally leads to (percussion, pads, thonk basses)

I don’t know. I’ve made the decision long ago that unless I need some sort of life saving surgery I’m not selling any gear ever again.

Perkons sounds great but to me it’s beyond the threshold of “home gear” and leans into studio gear territory.

1 Like

and I have the Jomox Bass drum eurorack module so I can sample that into my Octatrack or if I get a Rytm and have best of both worlds!

1 Like

which is why the Rytm is the most expensive Elektron machine for sale today except for used Machine Drums.