Syntakt power consumption

I run my Syntakt with 18watt powerbank and it works fine.

I have used a powerbank as well, my question is moreso what is the max voltage handling of the syntakt? Most powerbank should output 12v but mine is 13.3v when fully charged, I don’t want to mess with the Syntakt unless if someone knowlegable can confirm it would be okay (Like syntakt having it’s own voltage regulator or something.) The Syntakt is already getting warm at 12v as it is…

I don’t think it is too harmful to supply 13.3V .Voltage from your powerbank can drop under the load of the Syntakt. If you afraid of this situation just check at which level of charge your powerbank is outputting 12 volts :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t connect my Elektron gear to a noname battery pack in the first place.

In general you should not do this. It could work, but it could also break your Syntakt.

It might be that a voltage regulator inside the unit can handle the extra 1.3 volts, but it will probably have to dissipate more heat as a result and could fail.

It could be that it will be fine until you load a preset that causes higher current draw and then the voltage regulators might fail.

Power banks are typically designed to adjust their output voltages to match the voltage requirement of the device they are supplying power to - this is done via a voltage regulator. Plus there would be regulatory requirements (which should include max/min voltage tolerances) that manufacturers would need to comply to before they can sell such devices to a particular country. I think the chances of your Syntakt surviving when powered by your power supply are good.

Power banks that support USB power delivery or Qualcomm Quick Charge would have a way to negotiate with the connected device and adjust the voltage.

This negotiation can happen because the device that is being powered can talk to the controller on the power bank using the data lines in the USB cable.

A power bank will not adjust itself according to a Syntakt because there is nothing in the Syntakt that would talk to the power bank.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s not the cost per unit, but the total units being used that matters. I am deff an outlier, but total amps/watts is my concern. OFFGRID solar no grid-tie and a max of 2.2k watts (2.6k at boot/surge for the entire house is my jam) I was a little worried about
the heat but 13w is doable but turning on the internet to check how high the wattage usage is, boosts that to 70-90… Elon why oh why does your service use so much power when not in use :stuck_out_tongue:

I ended up making a little box to house a freaking dc-dc step down converter which like someone else pointed out shouldn’t be overly necessary because indeed with an actual load the measured voltage was quite lower(rendering my project obsolete before it ever begun but hey it’s cool)

Beyond that fact, i had issues with the talencell unit powering both the syntakt and analog heat+fx together which was my ultimate hope but that seems to be out the drain. And yes i get the vibe of not wanting to plug in expensive gear to crappy powerbanks but that is why i was double checking as well, talentcell isn’t that bad - it’s chinese for sure but they have been making battery packs for a good while now and from what i hear they are reliable. This pack is lifepo4 which is easier to get close to 12v with but i was really hoping that the 5a rated output could power both the st and the ah+fx together but the volage drop was too much especially for the syntakt which just kept rebooting and i was like, this can’t be good for it and yeah. Having said that, with one machine at a time it works good but i had to make my own cable(s) too because u don’t find too many barrel jack to barrel jack cables often.