Syncing The Dark Trinity? (Don't use a D.A.W, No pc or laptop)

Hi,
I want to use midi tracks from the OT to sequence other gear x0xb0x or TT 303 maybe a JP 08 if that is possible, or a volca beats i dont know.

Also i want to use slide, accent, etc… saw a few people doing it on youtube but never explaining it…

I have some gear but i always synced it with a kenton thru 5 no laptop and the OT as master clock i still want to do this but im not familiair with midi tracks in the OT i know i can still use my other tracks with the midi tracks but since it has 8 midi tracks is it possible to sequence 8 synths, drumcomputers, etc… and if so how to connect them i only use the midi out from my OT currently

This is my midi setup (maybe i could do it in a better way?)

Octa as master (Midi out) -> AR (Midi in, clock receive, programm change receive), AR Midi thru -> A4 (Midi in, same setting as slave).

To keeep the signal paths short, go from A4 thru to the Kenton Midi in and from its 5 outs to your other gear (slaved to the Octa clock).

My hardware setup is

My setup is like this:

-Octatrack
-Elektron Rytm
-Elektron Four
-Analog heat
-TT303
-x0xb0x (with some pedals)
-JP08

-TR 09
-Doepfer Dark Energy
-Volca bass
-Volca beats
-Volca keys
-Monotribe
-TR 505

I use a Allen & heath 16:2 WZ3 to mix everything togheter.

I dont u a laptop only for recording.
It is not nescesary that everything syncs (no 505 or some of the volcas or doepfer) the other ones must sync and start playing when i press start on the OT

I hope you guys can help me out a bit thanks.
Im not english so i do my best explaining myself

Thanks!

1 Like

Als ik je uitleg goed lees snap ik niet goed wat het probleem is? Aangezien je zegt dat je op octa play drukt en alles begint te spelen vermoed ik toch dat ze reeds gesynced zijn? Of vergis ik me?
(Sorry for the dutch but i think the guy’ll understand a bit better)

Het probleem is dat het niet helemal mooi blijft lopen precies… ik ga dit eens proberen: Octa as master (Midi out) -> AR (Midi in, clock receive, programm change receive), AR Midi thru -> A4 (Midi in, same setting as slave).

To keeep the signal paths short, go from A4 thru to the Kenton Midi in and from its 5 outs to your other gear (slaved to the Octa clock).

kon door omstandigheden nu pas antwoorden

It sounds like you’ve got it all set up. Make sure your octatrack is set up to send clock and position and the others are set up to receive. You can also set the elektrons up with a program change channel to change patterns along with the octatrack, but keep in mind that the octatrack has twice as many banks per project, and going past the 8th bank will wrap the A4 and AR to their first 8 again.

OT midi out > Kenton in
Kenton thru> AR, A4, TT03, xox

You can also use the midi sequencer and arpeggiator on the 303 clones if you’d like, unless you are well familiar with their sequencers and like slides and stuff they can do. Using an Octatrack midi channel for the other gear will keep your tracks together and make it so you don’t have to change patterns on each machine to get the appropriate notes playing back. You can of course still twiddle your knobs manually while midi is used for playback.

Sounds like you have a lot of exploring ahead of you. The octatrack allows you to work in different ways and set things up in a variety of ways; it may take time before you settle into one setup that really works for you. Happy hunting.

and since you got both: Which sounds fatter, TT or xoxbox?

I have a similar setup the OT sending sync and or midi to
:sub 37, electribe, jdxi, ultranova and tr8.

I am with the kenton as well 1 in 5 out.

Just makesure the OT has send receive checked in project settings

function project
midi/sync

and that will take care of the syncing

and then if you want to send midi press midi and then enter the channel number and go from there.

here I am sampling chords from my ultranova.

hope that helps but if the the manual is a great place and the guys on here are great.

Hi JB and welcome!

IMO it would be better to daisy chain the boxes: Octa as master (Midi out) -> AR (Midi in, clock receive, programm change receive), AR Midi thru -> A4 (Midi in, same setting as slave).

I think you need to test several MIDI wireings until you get a good result. Could be possible that you will need another Splitter.

Long MIDI chains could cause some servere timing problems, ensure that your cables have the best quality.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
I want to use midi tracks from the OT to sequence other gear x0xb0x or TT 303 maybe a JP 08 if that is possible, or a volca beats i dont know.

Also i want to use slide, accent, etc… saw a few people doing it on youtube but never explaining it…

I have some gear but i always synced it with a kenton thru 5 no laptop and the OT as master clock i still want to do this but im not familiair with midi tracks in the OT i know i can still use my other tracks with the midi tracks but since it has 8 midi tracks is it possible to sequence 8 synths, drumcomputers, etc… and if so how to connect them i only use the midi out from my OT currently

This is my midi setup (maybe i could do it in a better way?)

Octa as master (Midi out) -> AR (Midi in, clock receive, programm change receive), AR Midi thru -> A4 (Midi in, same setting as slave).

My hardware setup is

My setup is like this:

-Octatrack
-Elektron Rytm
-Elektron Four
-Analog heat
-TT303
-x0xb0x (with some pedals)
-JP08

-TR 09
-Doepfer Dark Energy
-Volca bass
-Volca beats
-Volca keys
-Monotribe
-TR 505

I use a Allen & heath 16:2 WZ3 to mix everything togheter.

I dont u a laptop only for recording.
It is not nescesary that everything syncs (no 505 or some of the volcas or doepfer) the other ones must sync and start playing when i press start on the OT

I hope you guys can help me out a bit thanks.
Im not english so i do my best explaining myself

Thanks!

I think we can’t explain everything. You have a lot of gear !
Midi is not that difficult with OT.
Just try it, read the manual, and ask precise questions after !

For midi channel, Bank, ProgChange you have to validate clicking the knobs.
For PB, CC1-CC10 etc, validate with FN+click knob.
For legato, notes must overlap. There’s a legato parameter in arp page.
Accent should be related to Velocity.
Have fun !

Thanks but i dont understand alot you are saying, i asked if i could sequence 8 hardware devices if so how to connect them? with what cables? or lets say only my acid gear so my TT303 and x0xb0x if i want to use them on 2 midi tracks how do i do that i don’t understand it…

Thanks

And like i already said im not expecting everything to play togheter but, when playing live the ones that i name here must run in sync: Dark trinity (AR, A4 and OT) x0xb0x, TT303, (maybe JP08, TR09 or a volca or monotribe but this is not a must)

Thanks

Stop GAS until you know how to use your gear !

You just need midi cables, and if your machines don’t have midi Thru, you need a Thru box.

Just try with Octatrack and another midi gear.
You know midi channels ?

Octatrack Out > Kenton > midi gear In

Edit : If you don’t know the midi part of a gear, you don’t know it totally !

Midi is very important to me.

first the x0xb0x but after playing alot with the tt 303 it’s more like a real one but the x0xb0x is unique in it’s own way love the sequencer with the x0xb0x

1 Like

I’d be interested in Xox Rack.

So, if you want to sequence something with Ot’s midi tracks, plug it (Ot Out > gear In), select same channel on both, play Ot, place some trigs.
Try this first !

1 Like

Hello @JackBerryF1,

I don’t speak Dutch but I will try to help in English. Let’s start slowly with some basic concepts about MIDI sequencing. We will keep things simple and you will soon learn how to do it with the Octatrack.

Yes, using the 8 OT MIDI sequencer tracks you can sequence 8 MIDI devices.

First, the cable connections. I suggest that you use your Kenton box for this exercise. Connect the MIDI Out port of your OT to the MIDI In port of the Kenton box.

Connect the first MIDI Thru port on the Kenton to the MIDI In port of the TR-303.
Does your TT-303 have a normal MIDI In port or an unusual MIDI port?

Connect the second MIDI Thru port on the Kenton to the MIDI In port on the xoxbox.

Let us know if that is OK for you.

2 Likes

Okay thanks for helping me out!

It looks like its a normal midi port.

Ok so i did this the OT out is going into the in of the kenton midi thru 5.

I used the first thru in my TT 303 and the second thru into the in of my x0xb0x.

What do i need to do after this? The midi channels?

And to sequence 8 midi devices in my OT i need a kenton thru 25? Or is there another option?

Thanks!
This is exact how my TT 303 looks its the older one

https://www.google.be/search?q=tt+303&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXob6I2JDUAhVsL8AKHSDyAjsQ_AUICSgB#imgrc=VOMEq0n48CDokM

?

Thanks

Check the midi solution 8thru rack powered by midi not psu