Sync Recording with MPC?

I know this is an odd request. I mean, why would you need to sample the same thing with an MPC and an OT at the same time. But is there any way to sync the two? I have my record player running through a mixer. Headphone out running to MPC, control room going to kp3+ and from there the OT. Audio runs to both simultaneously. Can I control the OT recording from the MPC? Or vise versa?

Why not run your record player into your mpc and then out to your octatrack? Or more importantly why do you need the same audio routed separately to each piece of gear?

1 Like

That’s actually a very brilliant idea and would definitely make things more efficient, set up wise.

I want to record the same audio to both devices as a more comparative operation. The workflow of each leads to different places. And I think that would be cool to demonstrate. But your idea about configuration is dead on, and would actually more easily lead to further sonic capabilities ! Thank you

i would definitely go…

TT > OT > MPC…

not MPC > OT

no point putting the sample through the MPC converters… unless you’ve got a 3000 or a 60. or is it a direct through? was never sure with my 1k

2 Likes

IMO optimal would be to get the signal to both places while still in the analog domain. something like

turntable -> RIAA pre -> mixer/splitter -> sound to both machines

Not sure but maybe you could map the sampling buttons on your MPC to some CCs/midinotes (JJOSXL) and transmit those from the OT midi sequencer. Havent used my MPC 1k in a long time so unsure whether sampling buttons were covered by the midi implementation, but IIRC all front panel buttons were mappable in JJOSXL.

Wish the same could be said about the :elot: - being able to toggle realtime record on/off remotely via MIDI would be very welcome!

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’m hoping direct through, because having the audio come out of the MPC and into the OT could be beneficial due to an ease of sampling acoustic instruments on the mpc > the OT and resampling into the OT, while also being able to take an MPC mix and apply OT magic on it. Though, I DO need to study the different recording triggers for the OT more.

I suppose I could run the mixer into the OT twice? Send the control room and alt channels into the OT? Run the headphone output into the MPC through a stereo to two mono cables. Output of the MPC back into the mixer and either send to the interface through the main mix or into the OT through the alt channels? That way all options remain on the table as far as recording turntable or instruments and having the option of OT sampling the sounds running from the MPC?

Can you direct monitor the input on the MPC without being in the rec mode (JJOS2XL) ? I’ve been thinking of similar config options for my MPC1k and OT with Nord drum and iPad

I don’t believe there’s anyway to have monitoring always on. If you switch the record mode to direct record then you can monitor incoming sound through two different screens, but those screens are still in the neighborhood of record I think.

you can have monitoring always on on the mpc. I used mine as a mini mixer that way lots of times. Check the fx setup IIRC

You can use the audio ins on the mpc to monitor BUT its not direct so you would be adding a level od ad-da conversions.
I havent done what you are talking about but I sample into the ot synced to the mpc. So a sample trig is set, and when I press play on my mpc my ipad sequences start playing and get sampled. I am sure you could do something similar.

1 Like

you can have monitor always on but it sums to mono when not in the recording page.

Thanks. You can def have direct monitor always on in JJOS (mixer page) but as mentioned, it will go through ADDA, so not the best option

ahh, twas the mixer page, my bad. been a while…

Is it true that it sums to mono though IIRC there was a stereo option too in the config

I was thinking about this a little more, and would probably get a Radial J33 if I were you. Using the J33, you can send a turntable audio signal into four devices simultaneously (3 x -10dB consumer outs, 1 x XLR mic inpedance bal out), so you could split up the turntable signal to all places at once without any redundant AD/DA conversions. Then just sync up the MPC to the OT and map the MPC sampling commands to the OTs midi sequencer, setup rec trigs on the OT and ur done.

I’ve actually got a little rig up with my behringer 1204 mixer. Sending audio to the OT and MPC running stereo headphones to 2 mono to the MPC and the control room outs to the OT.

However, I suppose I COULD place a flex record midi trig on the MPC to tell the OT to start recording. I suppose if I’m precise enough with my button pushing then I could get them close enough for desired means.

Thank you!

You couldn’t get it working the other way around? I mean, wouldn’t it be better to let the OT act as master for initiating sampling? That way, both would start sampling as soon as you hit play on the OT

Hmm, you got a point there. I’ll have to investigate that. Thanks