Sync all my stuff, slaving beatstep to DT (clock), NO laptop

Hey guys
So I just got the Moog Sirin and a Beatstep to play it. Surely I’ll use it with a keyboard as well, but for now I’m after some looping fun.
The rest of my gear: Digitakt, Korg Monologue, Casio CZ5000, Kaoss Pad KP3.
Midi: Midisport 2x2.
I plan on buying a Motu Microlite next week (5 midi i/o + usb bus power).

As the basic Beatstep has no display, and I’d like to only use it to create sequences on the Moog, would the solution to keep everything in sync be DT midi out > Motu in > 1 channel out to Beatstep via midi/usb converter cable + outs to all the rest of the gear? Is there any other way to do this without the extra midi>usb cable?

I feel like i’m overthinking all of this and the answer may be far simpler.

I’m not really trying to use the DT for anything but the clock for now. Keeping use of the korg and beatstep sequencers independent, but yeah… in sync.

thanks in advance!
a

i am thinking i found my own answer, but unless i’m dumb (totally possible) i think i will need the midi interface + midi>usb conveter + usb > mini usb adapter to make this possible, then set the BS to slave mode.

figure i’ll leave this up for now before flagging for deletion, just to see what other possible solutions there may be… because nerd.

I have a Moog DFAM, Digitakt, Korg Monologue, and the Beatstep - but never managed to get the Digitakt to sync to Beatstep with “pure MIDI”. Don’t know what I did wrong, but ended up having to set the OUT PORT FUNC on Digitakt to DIN24, and plug it in Beatstep’s CLOCK IN. Let me know if you manage to get it set up with regular MIDI, as I’d love to learn how to do it.

1 Like

will do. according to the beatstep manual it should be as easy as switching to slave mode and sending midi in via usb haha. regardless i’ll need to pick up the midi > usb converter on monday to try anything. i can prob swing all this without upgrading the midi interface, but that’s happening anyway for daw use.

1 Like

I go MIDI out from my Steinberg audio interface to the Digitakt, then MIDI out from DT via DIN24 to Beatstep’s CLOCK in, then MIDI to Monologue and CV to DFAM - so when I hit rec og play on Ableton, it all starts at the same time :space_invader: (took me quite a while to get it working)

Did try many times to get the Beatstep to catch MIDI directly from DT, still a mystery that one…

1 Like

i’m starting to think this is futile and it’s time to upgrade to BS pro. hahhahaha

so my solution is this: goodbye BS, use digitakt and maybe consider a BSP. mind you this is for dawless. it may be possible to receive power and midi sync via usb i guess, but i’m too noob to know if this is thing. but since it receives sync from the same place as it receives power, chances are that’s a hard nope. if this was for daw-driven work, i’m sure i could work with power via usb and cv outs for the music tings.

in the mean time, i’m going to get a midi interface/patch bay and use the digitakt for midi. it’s not as much fun as the BS but I’m sure I’ll eventually get to know it and love it. and if not, the BSP has both midi i and o.

I’ll prob keep the BS just to have around, or gift it to somebody who is just starting out or something :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the BSP by the way, just often forget to write it out fully. Not sure if the Beatstep Pro gets powered by USB, but it syncs fine!

ah yeah big difference :slight_smile:

Can’t comment on the BS, but recently got a Sirin as well and have been sequencing from Digitakt, seems to work nicely so far and just wanted to pass on a few “gotchas” I have ran into.

LFO MIDI SYNC - The Sirin’s LFO will sync to MIDI clock by default (you can turn this off through MIDI CC) - So when slaved to the DT, it goes into this sync mode. However, when the DT isn’t playing a pattern, for some reason the Sirin’s LFO stops, or becomes SOOOOO slow that it might as well be stopped, and the LFO rate knob barely does anything. As soon as you hit Play on the DT, things go to normal speeds. So if you have the DT stopped and you’re trying to program a patch on the Sirin and the LFO isn’t working right, that is most likely why. Just send a MIDI command to disable LFO MIDI sync (cc# is in the manual, I forget off hand)

VELOCITY SENSITIVITY - If you want to set velocity levels in the DT sequencer, Sirin is capable of velocity sensitivity to both the filter and amp, but is disabled by default, can be enabled through MIDI CC

PROGRAM CHANGE - When you have a program set on the DT’s MIDI track, every time you hit Play it will reload that preset on the Sirin. So if you are fiddling around with a sound make sure that Program field on the DT is disbled, or make sure to save the preset often on Sirin, or stay on preset #1 (a special preset called Panel Settings that will always match the main panel knob settings) - however, that preset #1 has hidden settings just like all other presets (like whether MIDI sync is on, legato modes, etc.) and THOSE can be saved permanently to the preset, you just can’t save the “front panel” settings as those will always be set to whatever the knobs are. I think that’s the best preset to stay on if doing a lot of fiddling and knob tweaking, then if you settle on something, save it off to a new preset location.

MOD WHEEL INTERACTIONS - This confused me for a while too… When the Sirin boots up, it defaults to using the LFO to VCO and VCF knobs to control the intensity of those modulations. However, as soon as it receives an incoming MOD WHEEL command, those VCO LFO and VCF LFO amounts become “mod wheel amounts”, determining how much the mod wheel affects those parameters, and no longer directly affects the VCO/VCF LFO amounts. So if you send MOD wheel data from the DT (or any other keyboard or sequencer) and then go to tweak those VCO/VCF LFO knobs and things don’t come out as expected, that is why

2 Likes

Thanks for this!!! I kinda just passed on using the DT for this, but I’ll have another go with all this in mind. Much appreciated!!!

YW! I just got the Sirin a few days ago so can’t speak from long-term experience yet, but so far the two seem pretty good together. I’ve memorized most of the “hidden shortcuts” on the Sirin already, and made a short list of MIDI numbers for parameters that aren’t accessible through the main panel or shortcuts, so can control everything either directly on the unit or from the DT.

If you do mess around with it more and have any questions, let me know! They are basically my core/only setup right now (plus an SP404) and I would be happy to help with any setup issues or questions

1 Like