SY + DT + DN + Keystep 37 setup

Yes, I tested briefly yesterday night with not much time but it works.
At first, I couldn’t make the 3 machines change pattern at the same time, but the thing was I had to set Digitakt to send program changes to a specific midi channel and then configure Syntakt and Digitone to receive program changes from this midi channel.

I noticed by jamming only 10 minutes that you have to be very careful about what machine is in live recording mode, which track is selected in the machine you want to input notes and be very careful to not enter notes on Midi tracks 1 or 2 of Digitakt, but let them go straight into Syntakt or Digitone sequencer activating live recording mode on the desired machine.

But it works. And Keystep responds to tempo set from Digitakt, so you can send internal Keystep sequencer to any MIDI track and you can record arpeggiated melodies played from Keystep into any of the 3 machines.

Cheers to all of you!

4 Likes

Ive reviving this thread because im having trouble trying to break down all the above information to connect all my devices with keystep 37 to achieve the ability to arp all three of my black boxes with my keystep. Im new to elektron, so I think i need a deeper breakdown of how to configure the midi channels. If anyone would like to help I would appreciate it so much.

edit: im gonna try it all again and get to the last point where i got stuck, so ill have the right questions to ask you. thanks

Hi blasterjake!

Read carefully and follow the instructions in this thread. Half of the path to success is MIDI connections. The other half is machine settings configuration. If you get stuck in any of the steps, ask here. I guess with a little help from all of us you’ll get the set-up you want.

Ask if you need further instructions.

One tip: remember to set a specific MIDI channel to send Program Changes from the “master” machine (the one controlling clock, transport and program changes) and set the other two machines to receive Program Changes to that specific MIDI channel. Auto-channel doesn’t work for me.

Cheers!

I wonder if the KS 37 arp is synced to the beat (no just tempo) if it receives Syntakt Clock/Transport. Can anybody confirm ?
(I’m hesitating between KS 37 and Hydrasynth Explorer because their width match almost perfectly OT+ST width…
Btw I don’t know if HS Explorer can send a midi arp…)

Yes it can.

1 Like

Do you mean quantized to the beat?

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

If it receives clock, it will be quantize.

1 Like

HS E or KS37 ? Both ?
(As I said in Hydrasynth topic it works with my Korg Taktile 49)

I will have to test it with my HSD.

1 Like

I’ve tested it with my HS Desktop and I can say that it’s not quantize like on the KS. The KS is tight but the HS is kind of sluggish. I don’t have the Explorer, though.

1 Like