Switching programs on the pulse 2

OK, I’ll make a ticket next week :wink: Really I do.

I’ve send a support ticket with this issue ;).

1 Like

REPLY FROM ELEKTRON:

Hi,

Currently there is no workaround on this, but we are aware that many users request a function where you can config the order of the midi messages.
Cannot make any promises that this will be added in a future OS.

Regards,

Martin - Elektron

1 Like

Same for me, patch works, bank not.

Martin said the same to me :angry:

Arise from the dead:

Was there any ever progress on this? Just got a Pulse2 and boy what a let down if you can’t use the OT to do program changes! Seems like it should be a basic function.

Any workarounds, or am I really just stuck to one patch when sequencing the Pulse from the OT?

EDIT- Just to keep it simple for me: how should I set up so that I can have two OT MIDI tracks, both set to MIDI channel 1, with the Pusle2 set to receive MIDI channel 1, and each OT track will trig a different patch/sound on the Pulse?

Program Change works. The workarounds are therefore either:

• to move all your Pulse 2 patches to a single bank in the Pulse 2, or
  • to use CC 32 immediately before the Program Change message to move to a patch in another bank in the Pulse 2.
4 Likes

Thanks- will try this tomorrow. I did try the cc32 message but l’m not sure I got it right. Might just need to do some more trial and error.

Can I use the Spectre app to put all the Pulse2 patches in one bank?

EDIT: the other thing I’m confused about, is do I use the midi playback setup page, or are the program changes all done by cc messages?

I’m about to give up with this. Here’s my set up.
Midi out from OT to pulse2.
MIDI tracks 1 and 2 both set to channel 1, pulse2 set to receive channel 1.
In the midi sync page, Prgram ch send is on, set to ch auto.
In the midi channels page, Auto ch is set to 1, and trig ch1 and 2 both set to 1.
Track 1 midi note setup page: chan1, bank0, prog88.
Track2 midi note set up page: chan1, bank0, prog 58.
Cc32 and 0 active on both tracks.
32 step seq, track1 trig on step 1, track 2 trig on step17.
Press play and the pulse2 sounds, but only the first patch on both trigs (steps 1 and 17).
Now if if i stop the OT, mute track 1, go to track2 and double tap stop, it the pulse will change to the second patch. Unmute track 1, press play, and we hear the second patch, but again it does not change.
I’ve placed trigless trigs, but they don’t seem to have the desired effect of sending a program change message.

Incredibly frustrated. Do i just have a broken pulse2?
@sezare56 or @PeterHanes can you help on this one please?

Ok here’s another weird thing. I activated aftertouch on both ot midi tracks. I set them to different values. But the pulse only seems to respond to the last change. So the AT is set to 3 on track 1 and 75 on track 2, but the pulse plays the same value on each track, whichever was last changed

Oh no! Not those bank changes again! :smile:
You don’t need to activate Midi Sync page Prog Change send. This concern pattern sync.
Bank change messages are usually CC0 and / or CC32, sent before a Prog Change.
Ot sends CC0 only. If you just need a CC32 for the Pulse 2,tou don’t need to set midi tracks bank. Prog Change only.
You have to set a CC32 in CTRL1 (or 2) page.
Place it like here : (without CC0 if you don’t need it)
:sleeping_bed:

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’ll try this.

But really the pulse2 is capable of receiving program/patch changes within a sequence (confirmed in the manual and the soundonsound review). It shouldnt require pattern changes. The OT should be able to do this surely? I’m going to see if the MPC2000XL can do it!

You can use Sync Page Prog Change send with a specific channel (Auto doesn’t mean Auto Channel here, but the lowest audio channel!). I use 16. Choose other channels for your synths.

The MPC 1000 can do it, for sure.

I’m sorry to post yet again. Can i just make sure I understand something simple?

It is impossible to send program changes from the OT to the pulse2 within one pattern/sequence? In other words, I am limited to 1 sound/patch per pattern, and i can only change patches by setting up new Parts?

I just can’t accept that something that should be so simple is so difficult or not possible at all. Why can’t we assign a program on each MIDI track of the OT, and it just works? Why is this feature of the OT so broken?

EDIT: And yes, just confirmed that the MPC2000XL, circa 2000, can easily, simply send program changes to the Pulse2 without a problem. It’s just incomprehensible to me that the OT cannot do this!!

Yes. Not great implementation.
A super efficient hardware workaround : a midi processor.
In your midi track, choose an unused CC, and it is possible to map it to a PChange with the midi processor. Bank change send is easy, as it is already a CC.

I also used it to map notes to PC with Blofeld.
Instant patch change at each note! 128 sounds on one midi track. :thup:

3 Likes

thanks sezare. I already have a MPC2000XL so I will see how that goes for now. But I will keep my eye open for a hardware midi processor - any recommendations? Is this also called a ‘midi mapper’? I don’t use a DAW so it would need to be standalone. I just got a Blofeld also so if I get something that will work with the Pulse and the Blofeld I’ll be all set.

By the way, one final question- does anyone know how to organise Pulse2 sound patches into banks? Can’t find anything about this.

Mpc 2000 is bigger than a midi processor, if you use it for that only!
Midi Solution Event Processor Plus is the easiest to program I know. Limited to 32 events.
Retrokits RK002, RK004. Easy to upload scripts but not that easy to program.

1 Like

Very true- but also saves me $340 AUD, the price of the MIDI solutions processor here! Maybe time to sell some of those old Boss guitar pedals I never use …

Rk002 is cheaper. I can write scripts.

1 Like

For this purpose, I’d only need the 10 event version wouldn’t I? I’d just be assigning one cc to be a program change message, and possibly another to be a bank select: the cc value would determine the program/bank number? Or am I overlooking something?

10 events is too short for me, price / possibilities ratio is not that good. With a midi processor you can also control slices, comb filters pitch with midi notes, and many other things!

You don’t have to map banks, they are already CCs. But if you wish you can associate a specific CC to change PC and Bank at the same time :

Map CC 127 to PC + Bank 0
Map CC 126 to PC + Bank 1

That way you have 2 knobs to access 256 sounds. For more than 2 banks I’d rather map PC to 1 CC only, and use a regular CC32 to change Pulse banks.