Switch from distrokid to?

The 50$ threshold is good to know too

1 Like

Somehow this discussion is oddly stressful lol.

2 Likes

You mean because me (us) hitting it big rests on the choice we collectively make here?

1 Like

There’s that, and then there’s the approval of your audience (kids) and their friends, because that’s my next fanbase and I need to make sure that you ex-girlfriends don’t cancel our subscription. At least not until I’ve sold them my magic beans, that is. Your cow will be mine, good luck with that beanstalk brother. And by cow I mean the fairy tale story, I’m not referring to any cows in particular.

3 Likes

Hahahaha love it!

1 Like

just putting my jams out into the pasture to graze, nothing to see here.

2 Likes

I think spotify counts as pasture now…….???

So was the messin above sort of cheeky stressful like putting the pressure on to release your hits?

2 Likes

It’s stressful feeling like an antique in the world, not even being aware of some of these services.

1 Like

Cd baby is nice but they don’t deal with covers last time I checked.

1 Like

You had me at

I’ve been pondering this stuff for a while (Distrokid etc) and am about to get going with it (and yes receding hairline and a lovely moon at the back of my head has been occupying my mind as well).

Finally managed to wrap up a track again, it’s been a while. I’m looking at going a hybrid route, Distrokid + bandcamp. I think the point made that they all have tradeoffs seems fairly on point. We’ll see what pain is to be had from that route

2 Likes

Thing that makes me steer clear of Distrokid is that once you stop paying they pull your music from streaming sites. Am I wrong about this? That to me seems like a kind of indentured servitude but maybe I’ve misinterpreted it. I’ve had good experiences with CDBaby in the past, checking out Soundrop right now.

3 Likes

Same. The way you can avoid this is by paying what they call a Legacy Fee, which makes it way more expensive than CDBaby in the first place. It’s essentially cheaper in the short term, more expensive in the long term.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting, i’d forgotten about cdbaby.

Will have another good thinking about this :thinking:

1 Like

WhT cdbaby, soundrop and ditto have said is that the needed info to keep tracking of our songs is to enter into the new site (for example me uploading onto soundrop) to make sure i have the upc and isrc numbers, same metadata etc I guess and they should port over seamlessly. THEN, “remove this release from all stores” on distrokid. I will be testing this soon!

yes

Saying Goodbye section

1 Like

Right but this is if you want to “leave a legacy” via distrokid. If you choose to “remove this release from all stores” or dont renew and they do it for you, you can have cdbaby, soundrop, ditto and the zillions of others re-upload it, and theyll leave the legacy for 1/4 the cost:).

3 Likes

Update re: Soundrop:

Unfortunately, I must now rescind my recommendation of Soundrop. Their customer service is… well, it isn’t. It no longer exists.

I sent them a support ticket over two weeks ago about pushing out my release date. I followed up twice this week, and even reached out to them on Twitter. No response; it’s just shouting into the void.

I can’t even do a takedown at this point, because according to the more recent reviews I should have read before using this company again, some people end up waiting weeks or months just for that to go through. My album is going live tomorrow whether I like it or not.

On the off chance one of the few music blogs I submitted to actually ends up covering this release, they won’t be happy that the release date I gave them was nearly two weeks after it already came out. And of course it’s too late now to pitch for Spotify playlists, etc.

So, my album release is ruined. If I’d just planned everything out perfectly from the beginning, I suppose this wouldn’t have happened. Living in a world where plans change, however, I would recommend you stay far away from Soundrop.

5 Likes

Ok very helpful! I uploaded one song as a trial with the purpose of switching over but none of the track stats have switched over etc. Your experience here has got me movin on!

2 Likes

Any experiences or feedback about https://www.digidi.org/ ?

2 Likes

Havent heard anything @icaria36

Im barely leaning more towards the alternative bandcamp model. I like being able to say to people “oh my stuffs on apple, amazon, spotify etc” just for simplicity and name recognition. But bandcamp is a smoothly operating system it appears. Dont know where im at with all this. I got 12 new songs ready to go but i dont feel like uploading ha!

3 Likes