Sweetwater and web trackers

Just saw the amount of trackers that was blocked by Apple
Sweetwater on top with 39! Trackers
Wft

5 Likes

Ha ha ha holy shit. I’m not surprised.

2 Likes

my god! that’s ridiculous. I guess that’s why they never have good deals… they gotta pay for all that software

Way to name and Shame. I’ve stopped buying through them because of I don’t want someone to call me every three weeks asking me how the TRS cables I ordered are working out.

Anyway, just far too much correspondence than is necessary.

11 Likes

And that list doesn’t even include Tyler…

3 Likes

Sam just called me 3 times while I was reading this thread.

7 Likes

Wow. I have a way different experience with Sweetwater. They price match everything and ship fast.

But conversely, my “sales rep” that the phone system always connects me to is hardly ever available and isn’t the most friendly. But very knowledgeable.

Ymmv.

They’ve never contacted me either. Thank god.

1 Like

My sales rep only contacts me asking if I need anything after I purchase stuff.

Guitar Center and Musicians Friend (same company) contact me pretty regularly and are like “hey can we could sell you on a $3000 synthesizer I think you’d like it!”

3 Likes

you mean Sales Engineer… at least that’s what Brandon is, my sweetwater Sales Engineer…

1 Like

GAS dealers

2 Likes

I got my Sweetwater guy from a friend at MW, over a decade ago. He used to be more aggressive about checking on every order, but seems to have gotten used to the idea that every other order ships to a new location since I move around a lot and don’t buy all that much from SW.

I’m not particularly worried about the trackers. I’d rather get ads for the Yamaha MODX line than Genshin Impact or a political campaign.

From an adtech perspective, trackers are somewhat antiquated technology. They aren’t necessary at all to track users and serve ads to them, but they are the status quo and there is a ton of momentum behind them.

TL;DR: I prefer to yell at more interesting or annoying clouds.

2 Likes

And here I thought weather.com was selling musical gear!

1 Like

I got called after going to their site to look up a product. I googled the product, clicked on the SW link and was able to see the i/o of it in a picture. That was it.

Got a call literally the next day and he was mentioning that product. “saw you were looking at X”. It was too much. So now I don’t go to the site that often since they clearly track way too much.

And now Guitar Center is calling now. They have nothing “hi just checking in to see if there is gear I can help you with?”. I just politely asked the guy to please not call me anymore.

This is some VP’s decision to make these reps calls people. It’s annoying and not fair to get mad at the reps who have to do this.

6 Likes

Hi, I’m calling, because we have a new subscription based feature plan available for that TS cable you bought last week. Better shielding, “make it balanced” balanced cabling, low end boost or tube (digitally modelled) saturation for example.

Lol, I’ve never been called by a sales person…not common in this part of the globe, I guess.
When my health insurance called after I had spent quite some time in hospital, asking how I felt and if I needed anything, that was already a (pleasent) surprise. But no other company ever called to follow up on something. We do get calls from the New Delhi Microsoft branch quite regularly, though.

That’s right. Sales engineer. I know where I went wrong with my Sales Engineer. It was in the very beginning when I was brand new to synths and music in general.

I came in a little ”hot”. Too eager and excited. And I was calling ALOT to get my setup everything it needed.

So I just annoyed the shit out of him. And trust me. I know I get annoying when I’m excited.

But it tapered off as I acquired everything I needed. And he is still very polite, and answered all my questions. But no chit chat whatsoever. Zero. All business.

Can’t complain.

Except about that Sweetwater card. That shit is dangerous. Especially with all the zero% financing it’s become an expense… like a utility.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to clear your browser cookies and get an ad block, my friend.

I always browse from a private window as well. Always.

I only go regular window to check my school accounts because City Colleges is annoying to convince who you are.

1 Like

Private does not safe browser history, searche history and auto fill - but that’s all, right?

1 Like

Blocks cookies and if you do accept them for the window, it clears it when it closes.

3 Likes

It’s such a reality that at first I thought you’d experienced this call :grin:

1 Like

Wow, you all that are complaining about the Sweetwater reps are doing it wrong, they just make your life easier.

I like that I am assigned just one sales rep and I can just text him and say hey, can you change that shipping to 2-day or hey can I get a discount on that such and such, or hey there is an issue with my gear, or hey what is the difference between this and that, or hey when is something going to be in stock, etc. and literally 5 minutes later you can get an answer. You don’t have to search through emails for invoices or look for coupon codes online or email nameless customer service centers, etc.

Maybe I lucked out but my rep is friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful (and usually gives me discounts too).

5 Likes