Surface Pro & Digitakt

Wondering if anyone using Surface Pro 3 or 4 or any other “cheap” tablet model with Live and DT?

I guess it’s brilliant compact rig idea - connect tablet to DT via usb and send audio and midi between them, so tablet became like an extension of DT with all the processing and sampling options Live can offer.

So I’m curious are there any underwater rocks with this setup? Is there latency, is it easy to compensate it in Live? How stable is it, is it fine and solid enough to use at major gigs?

Also what would be better SP model for using in such rig? No need lot’s of power, just enough to run a couple of drum racks, a few longer clips and effects, like max 8 channels. I guess would be nice to have more than 1 usb to connect controller to it (and use it together with the DT as well ).

I like to know more about this too, this info is a bit dated but might be useful, Molten would def be the guy in the know…

yeah watched lot’s of his videos tonight, all seems working fine but he doesn’t use DT as audio interface : )

so want more feedback from DT + SP with Ableton users

me tooo

I haven’t put it through its paces by any means, but I’ve used Overbridge with DT and ST on an i5 Surface Pro 7 and have enjoyed the setup for quick recording. (That new Augmented Strings plugin, when I tried it, maxed out the cpu with polyphony.)

In general the surface runs a little warm. Iirc it powers a LaunchKey mini just fine (one usb c and one usb a type, so an adapter or hub is needed), though I’ve usually used it plugged in.

One bonus is the Pen Tablet Mode switch in Ableton’s Look and Feel menu, which lets you use the surface pen or a finger on the UI pretty nicely . The interface is scalable, but still designed for a larger screen—it depends a lot on what you want to do on it, but for recording, it works pretty well.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. Have u tried it with Elektron as audio interface? All smooth?

Still want more replies )

Are you asking if ableton and audio interfaces work with windows?