Super tiny stereo mixer tool with panning

oh bad you’re so far away (im in italy).
Because I would be quite interested for my Moog trio (3ch + aux…yummy).
How does it sound?

1 Like

You’re goddamn right.

Here’s an example of what I do:

(The track features a MS-20 and a K-2, but I’m going to sell the MS-20 for a K-2 because it’s hard to tell them apart and the K-2 is smaller, hence more transportable.)

I mild pan them left and right and then make them go into a Blackhole (VST in the case of this track, but I’d like to achieve the same stereo-separation effect in my dawless setup).

Without the panning there’s more phase cancellation and the sound is obviously less wide. So it’s a prerequisite.

All in all some good options! I’d still like a minuscule tool. A shame it doesn’t seem to exist!

1 Like

you won’t get what you’re aiming for without some kind of stereo panning on at least 2 channels otherwise there will be significant phasing, as you already know. after listening to your track I can’t recommend anything cheap unfortunately.

I can offer ghetto workarounds, but at the end of the day you need 1 unit that does it all, not a lot of cables and multiple interfaces.

1 Like

Some of the small proposed mixers have 2+ channels and panning, you don’t think they could work?

if you’re willing to spend the 500 you proposed and settle for something a bit bigger than you desired it will work fine. will it have the audio fidelity of this track you’ve set the bar against? that, I can not say.

1 Like

Would you be able to make something like the Poly Effects Beebo work for you?

1 Like

I… guess ? It’s sort of overkill but it sure is an interesting pedal! I’ll have to read the documentation.

I feel like the whole thing is overkill, but I support that.

1 Like

The Land Mixer is awesome! Super flexible and lots of headroom. Land Devices is taking a break, but if you get on their mailing list and be patient you can grab one when they make another batch.

It has 4 inputs each with a knob for level and panning. The top 2 knobs are levels for each output.

1 Like

I fervently wish that the TE mixer had been, basically, the Hart mixer except good.

When I was into modular, the Roland 531 was great: faders and panpots, six mono inputs. I’ve pondered the possibility of getting another one and building a custom one-off case for it. But increasingly it’s 1/8" stereo inputs I want.

1 Like

Some days I feel like the whole dawless thing is overkill! Especially when they put tiny daws in pedals, it really hurts the brain! XD

Right? It does too much and is too expensive (for me) but the form factor is dope.

Lots of nice tiny mixers in modular world. As I was interested by a separate Sallen Key filter (maybe a Befaco BF-22), I might build a small utility box with a modular mixer and that (and an LFOs module to complete the remaining space). But it’s a bit off-topic. But an interesting option!

Edit: That being said, the more I look at it…
https://4mscompany.com/pod20.php

Wouldn’t even be the most expensive option at about 200€.

1 Like

Yeah not bad!

1 Like

Oh here’s one other possibility that I’ve been wondering about. It’s a DIY kit: https://en.uraltone.com/kits/studio-kits/uraltone-tube-sounding-micro-mixer-rakennussarja.html

3 Likes

The most DIY I’m willing to do-it-myself is screwing screws.

Found that thing which satisfies exactly the bill:

• 2 mono in
  • panning
  • stereo out (although trs)

If a problem can only be rationally solved by using a modular component, I’m on a slippery slope.

Too bad indeed! They sound great. Super crisp and distort nicely when you overdrive the inputs.

1 Like

I wrote a mod effect for the NTS-1 for your use case (panning two mono sources, no volume adjustment, there aren’t enough knobs). $100 plus the Hosa adapter (dual mono 1/4" jacks to 1/8" stereo plug), and you get a bonus of a pretty decent delay/reverb FX unit tacked on.

2 Likes

Would cost me 0. That’s a neat solution!
Do you host the code somewhere?

1 Like

The code is too short to host. I pasted it into the thread linked above. Sorry I didn’t think to mention it earlier.

1 Like
3 Likes

Unfortunately no panning! Could have been great!

1 Like