Summing M:C & M:S headphone outs for on-the-go use

the naming of the ports is kind of confusing for me… CHAIN … is this an input? The knob ME / INPUT? What? :smiley: I mean I understand it by looking at it …still silly naming of everything on this.

The chain input links one ‘cake’ to the next. Means I can connect to the 1/8 inch instrument inputs on both and monitor from the last in the chain… I think.

The bad marketing and naming are probably the reason for the bargain price.

I saw some guy summing two mono signals with a 1:1+1 transformer together, it was kinda neat. All passive and it even saturated the low end in a very nice way once it got past a certain level.
I guess one could do this in stereo as well.

the chain ports use some weird cables though right? They might not be “normal” TRS 1/8" inputs… But if they were, that’d be great!

Well, the Yamaha Session Cakes arrived and at first I thought they were rubbing sh as I was hearing a lot of noise when plugging in two models. Turns out that my external battery was introducing the noise when powering two devices from the same battery. If I use the elektron power supplies the session cakes are surprisingly good.

I’ll be buying the handles when they are released.

4 Likes

Another option would be the JUST Audio mixer, 3 stereo channels. Can run on batteries. (Mind you, I don’t know if it is any good, never used it).
Example:

The Bastl DUDE also came to mind.

1 Like

Mono :frowning:

1 Like

Little Bear mixer, cheap and looks good

I might pick one up to add to the toolkit

Passive not ideal for driving headphones.

3 Likes

which session cake did you get? the SC-02? Is it heavy with batteries installed?

I think I want one :nyan:

Another option, although costly, could be to use a passive summing mixer and add a headphone amp in to the mix. Currently eyeing on this one, somewhat costly but I’d love the idea of nerding out with custom op amps:

NUTUBE, custom op amps, works with 2 x AAA batteries (for up to 9 hours) :loopy:

2 Likes

Thanks all.

It’s clear that there’s a nice gap for Elektron to fill with a quality mini-mixer, battery powered that takes inputs from 2 or more Model: variants and outputs to headphones. Everything else is a compromise or isn’t ‘quite’ right, for my needs at least.

The 2 x Yamaha Session Cakes are working fine for me but they’re not pretty.

which session cake did you get? the SC-02? Is it heavy with batteries installed?

I think I want one :nyan:

Yeah the SC-02. Got two of them from here. Takes two AA batteries so light enough. Not sure how long the batteries last yet. Will soak test tonight.

I went for two and chained them together because, a - price £9.99 each and b, control over input gain from both Models.

Yeah, this looks perfect too. I’m set with the SC-02 but for the price these look good enough. If anyone has one I’d welcome some feedback on sound quality.

I wouldn’t go with the Little Bear–I had one and sent it back because the levels were so low.

The Rolls mx28, while not battery powered, is quite compact. 3 stereo inputs, one stereo out, 2 headphone outs. Ideal for 2 models + either my Circuit or my Monologue through a stereo pedal.

Finally got it all setup today, quite happy with the result. The case sort of defeats the object of having Models I guess but it keeps it all neat and tidy and maintains my focus.
The case was custom made for my OT Mk1 and a Waldorf Rocket some years ago. Been sat gathering dust ever since so nice to re-purpose. The M:S and M:C are a perfect fit.
Got two x 5000mah batteries to run them both.
The two Yamaha SC-02s run on 2 x AA rechargeable batteries. Audio is super clean if the levels are moderate on the inputs.

Might try and source two sets of matching right-angled 1/4 " cables to finish it off at some point.

4 Likes

It is not so small but I plan to get a Behringer Q802USB for jamming, 3 band EQ per channel, 2 mono inputs with one knob compressor, 2 stereo inputs, one send/return plus usb compliant audio interface so you can record your jams in your phone…pretty amazing value at around 65€, I have seen them second hand for 35/40€

Looks like the Session Cake is not a thing any more…

What’s another small option?

This looks similar