Suggestions for a Filter module or a Filter foot pedal?

Hi Community,
I like to use the AR’s Scene and Performance mode for different actions on tracks but I miss the quick access to the filter section as through the “control all” mode, such as on the machine drum. Especially for the live performance, I think it’s more comfortable if I can change the entire output sound using a filter and can quickly put a high or low pass over all tracks.
So I thought about using a separate filter (EQ) or possibly a foot pedal?

Do you have any experience or do you use the same principle?

Thank you very much for your help!

Or you map a midi controller to the performance parameters (see APPENDIX C: MIDI in the manual).

Just create a perf macro to modulate i.e. the filter on all tracks. Also controlling the fx this way can be fun.

Maybe this is another option for you.

2 Likes

check out mrdataline effects eurorack

I think every filler you like would work fine, but I recommend to try performance macros on filter first)

2 Likes

I use an Erica Acidbox III for something similar. I’m not sure if it has an input for pedal cv tbh.

The hard-to-find or Overpriced Akai MFC-42

1 Like

I’ve thought about the same thing as well. The analog heat always seemed like a good counterpart. Personally I havent needed it though so have held off.

I’m pretty sure (but not 100%) you could use midi out from the rytm’s perf mode to midi in on the heat to control it.

Best solution imo.

It’s not always realistic to do that, unless you also plock filter type to lpf/hpf which may also mess with the sounds you’re using.

1 Like

oh shit. chenk is a freak.

Okay. Do you have a tip to do that? There’s no option to choose more than one track at the same time to set perf. macros, right? would be a nice feature to an upgrade i guess… but yeah… as i said- I’m spoiled a bit too much from the workflow of the MD. Worked with it since years and I’ trying to figure out a cool workflow on the AR since a few weeks when I bought it.

Yes it´s possible to assign parameters from all 13 tracks to a single perf pad :wink:

from the MK II manual (works also an MK I):

“While keeping the pad pressed, various parameters can be locked to the macro by turning the DATA ENTRY knobs. Any parameter, from any of the 1 3 tracks, can be locked to the macro. Choose the drum tracks from which the parameter locks will be assigned by pressing [TRK] + [PADS]. If parameters from the FX track are to be locked to the macro, press the [FX] key.”

As MK I owner i just found that if you have a MK II, you can also use the quick performance knob and dont even need a midi controller.

“Quick performance gives you the possibility to control one or several of your performance macros with the QUICK PERF AMOUNT knob without being in PERFORMANCE mode.”

3 Likes

That’s correct, it’s comfortable to use the QPER knob.

Yes thanks, but it is not possible to activate all 12 tracks at the same time, rightz? You have to set the paramters track after track on a single performance?

Yes.

If you set all tracks on the same midi channel, you can control them all with a midi foot controller set on filter frequency Control Change. It is not relative like Control All, but absolute values.

With a midi foot controller, you’d also be able to control Analog Heat filter.

2 Likes

Was looking for the same thing just yesterday

I came across:

• Sherman filterbank. expensive and rare. and from what I have read hard to control
  • jomox resonator. could work. does more than filter. dont know about the filter sound.
  • sherman rodec restyler. seems perfect. hard to find and used prices are up there

there is more on the list, but I then came across posts suggesting a different approach. get a dj mixer with a filter on board. this appealed so much more to me. I could hook up my octatrack to separate channels (cue), offload track filtering and use the octa trackfader for more creative, different stuff. I like this idea way more.

for two channel mixers, I narrowed the options down to

• allen heath xone 23 (or 23c if you want usb audio). sound is supposed to be really good. has two aux inputs and two non switchable phone inputs. so getting more than two signals in would require other adapters. price, even new, actually isnt all that bad.
  • pioneer djm250. cant go wrong with industrie standard kind of stuff. has more inputs and the big LP/HP filter knob looks fun.

those are the options Im inbetween. both seem good

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend the Sherman Filterbank if a simple, performable filter is what’s needed. It lends itself more to a distortion, saturation, harmonics and modulation of all of the above.

I was looking for something similar to use with my Lyra8, and ended up getting a Waldorf Rocket, and using it as a filter-box… The second hand prices are really low, and its a nice analog filter inside it… Plus you get a free synth with your filter :slight_smile:

Only down side is that you have to engage the trigger button on it to allow for the external input to pass through… but i just taped mine…

thanks a lot for your input! I will check it out. I really like the jomox resonator, watched a few videos some time ago. it can do a lot of different things, maybe too much, but it looks like a ice randomizer for every output sound…

Have you checked out the Electrix Filter Factory or Filter Queen? Both are stereo and offer foot pedal inserts, and the factory has MIDI.

thank you, I will check them.