Suggestion for another piece of gear

Hi all
I currently have a digitakt / digitone combo which I love.
I would like to expand it with an analogue synth.
I found a good deal on an analog four mk1…
Is it still a good piece of gear or should I start saving some money to get the mark 2?
Thanks

1 Like

Classic. I did exactly the same thing but added Analog Keys instead. Ended up not liking the sound much, but others love it, so don’t let that put you off. But it could be useful to get a list of your needs so people can make alternative suggestions that might suit you better or just as well, etc etc. So, analog synth, check. But should it be polyphonic and, if so, how many voices? Or monophonic? Should it be multitimbral to play different sounds together (like your DN)?

You already have quite a bit of menu diving going on. Do you want a trad knob per function analogue synth or are happy with menus?

2 Likes

Hi
Effectively I did not specify a lot of things.
First…I am a total newby in the electronic music world and basically the DT and DN are my first serious piece of gear (I used to have some volcas before the elektron…).
I love te moog sound. I have a good deal also on a mother 32 and am really tempted…
However I would prefer to have the polyphony option (this is why the moog might not be an option). I thought about the analog four because I am already used (well…still a lot to learn…) to the elektron workflow…
This is why the choices narrowed down to the two versions of the analog four…
As far as the music is concerned I love loeffler, rival consoles, Jon Hopkins, james Holden…
Just to name a few…
What would you suggest? Thanks

Buy nothing.

But you knew someone would eventually show up and say that.

10 Likes

Pick up a cheap Behringer Deepmind 12. It will cover all of your polyphonic analogue synth territory and more.

2 Likes

That is why the moog is temptative…

Ahahah…
My wife gave the same suggestion…maybe you are right…

6 Likes

I do not know it…

Not quite sure now what you want. You want polyphony yes? Then the Moog isnt the choice,

I think you Should try Some synths
I ended up with a matriarch. Moog grandmother fits perfectly with dt dn

…an 4 mk1 2nd hand IS at actual average prices around 600 bux an absolute no brainer…

and apart from some optical fancyness and single outputs, there’s no truu difference to a mk2 version…

it’s pretty much a full fledged modular rack, based on 4 individual truu as truu can be analog mono synth that can change their face totally from one trig to the next one…

if u like the elektron way, THAT’s ur best pick if truu analog flavour is what ur up to…
analog heart, digital mind…no other claim never nailed it better…

3 Likes

First off, I have an A4 mk2 and would never want to part with it.
I also have a couple of Moogs, same thing, they’re keepers (Sub37 and Matriarch).

But given what you’ve said soundwise, and what you have, I think your best bet for the next synth would be Roland-style analog… and I’d probably agree with @sabana on the Deepmind 12. That would give you a ton of sounds, learning and experience to move you forward.
You can also sample into the Digitakt with it, so while the A4 has 4 tracks/voices, the Deepmind will give you poly chords, leads, basses, pads, the lot… you’ll learn to layer it.

The other option I think I’d look at is the smaller Roland SH-01a… that would be a lot easier to get to terms with (than the Deepmind or A4), and it’s also capable of a lot sounds used by the artists you mention.

1 Like

Thanks. I do not know the deepmind and the sh01-a…
I will try to find some more information on them…

Based on your musical references and poly needs, I’d say Rev2. Not sure if that’s in your price range tho…

But I’d also like to champion the A4. If you’re familiar with how Elektron machines work then your well over halfway there to figuring out the A4. It has serious depth and can be used in many applications… plus it can sound amazing (get some soundpacks for it to have better starting points than the stock presets, Richard Devine, Floppydisk Pirates et al).

Also, a lot of people prefer the Mk1 to the Mk2. If there’s a deal (like under $600) I’d say jump on it.

that shouldn’t make the dt feel bad. but i just sold mine because it just doesn’t fit into the analog setup. if you like digital sound, then i would say that your current setup fits together very well. As soon as I created sounds with the rytm and the a4 and then the dt was added, it just didn’t fit or the dt was just annoying to adjust until it finally fit. there was also a lack of pressure and the shrill sound tata also hurt the ears. dt alone sounds good ok.

I found a mk1 at 450 euros…not a bad deal…that is why I am tempted

3 Likes

I saw that the deepmind might have 12 voices…
However I could trigger only 4 voices at a time with the DT right?

I’d say nab it, and if it doesn’t work for you easy to resell on Reverb etc.

2 Likes

That is an insane price for all that power. If it doesnt hurt your bank in any way, Id say go for it.

4 Likes