Strymon Volante

Yup, sounds about right! Lol

Strymon is just straight deliciousness for the ears. I don’t let myself listen to any demos anymore. Especially not this one. Nossir. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Nope nope nope!

:smiley:

3 Likes

I’m fascinated by how these guys get the sounds they do from DSP.

2 Likes

I watched the full Facebook demo today. Sooooo many good sounds in there.

It can get very non-traditional delay sounds with the tape head spacing knob, some of it is almost reverb sounding and so musical. There were some settings where it almost sounded like a lapsteel or a Hawaiian slack-key guitar. I also didn’t realize that by double tapping the tape head buttons, you can set them to half volume to quickly get accents. I hope there are a few more surprises in there that we will learn about at NAMM or when they give us the full manual.

I’m really excited about this one.

I think I may have actually hit on something here. That lapsteel or Hawaiian slack-key instantly made me think of early Chet Atkins (probably not a popular dude on an electronic music forum), and with a bit of Googling I found this quote:

“Early on he used a Magnecord tape recorder–one that had the reels spaced apart and the heads in an S-shaped loop between them–because he could move the record and playback heads to a position where he could get the delay he desired.”

This is essentially what the record head knob on the new Strymon pedal lets you do. That’s freaking awesome.

Who knows what echo unit he was using for this live performance, but man that guitar sound is just so pretty.

4 Likes

Also, the “reverb-like” sound I noted jives with this:

http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd53Reverb.jpg

Damn there is a lot of old-school tape p0rn on this site:

http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd53.html

1 Like

“We’ve outfitted Volante with the incredibly powerful Analog Devices SHARC ADSP-21375 processor, which provides a 266 MHz core instruction rate, and an incredible 1.596 Gigaflops of peak performance. Thanks to this high-powered technology platform within Volante, we had the freedom to craft our processor-intense echo algorithms without compromise”

4 Likes

Do you happen to know if this is the same as what is in the other boxes?

Sorry, I don’t know.

I haven’t looked at all their pedal specs, but a lot just mention using a “powerful SHARC processor”

I guess Not. Timeline got introduced 8 years ago…meaning they Used an older Version of the Sharc with only Megaflops.

https://www.analog.com/en/products/adsp-21375.html

2 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance but can the Volante be compared to the Timeline or is it completely different?

Yes and No.

The Timeline has a variety of delays, one being tape delay.

The Volante is closer to an El Capistan. It does three distinct delays: a Binson Echorec style drum echo, a Roland Space Echo type, and a studio reel-to-reel type.

Tape echo is my favorite type of delay, so it’s perfect for me, plus I dislike the menu diving on the big digital display Strymon boxes, so I prefer it just being knobs and switches.

5 Likes

Here’s a synth demo of an original Binson.

5 Likes

Macbeth M5, TR909 through Roland RE501. I guess Volante is capable of producing similar results.

2 Likes

I Like it too. Green is the new black.

Btw…i think they took a deep Look at the fuctionality of the Roland Tape Echo.

One of my favourite features of the El Capistan is the sound on sound mode, I wonder how it’ll sound with the drum delay and studio tape of the Volante.

1 Like

It must be the same engine as their eurorack module Magneto. And at least that sounds superb. Some features and controls are different though.

2 Likes

I prefer the Volante.

Any information about the looper?

I thought with Timeline, it is not possible to set the loop length
it will be nice if it is possible
than it will be fantastic, actually

This thing seems pretty rad but I already have an El Capistan so I don’t know.

1 Like

I hate when people hump their machines…