Strymon Next Generation

I have been in the market for a midi capable reverb that has tone qualities that don’t overlap with the electron reverb.
Can anyone who has the og bluesky comment if it can go places the digitakt/syntakt one cannot? And speak to any overlap?

1 Like

Damn, a whole pot just for shimmer? Bluesky is my favorite reverb, and shimmer is the shittiest part of it.

5 Likes

Geordi La Forge approves :laughing:

5 Likes

god dammit. i just bought a deco like a week ago

how much cooler will this new one be? if anything, id like to not have to open it up to switch mono to stereo but the new algorithm and filter sound really good

are these shipping now? it doesn’t say “pre order” when you go to check out

Just sold my El Capistan some weeks ago. The stereo/mono switch is a nice addition, but I fancied 2 input jacks… I’ll have to test how the wet pot behaves because on my V1 it was fully progressive from 0 to 80% wetness then 100% wet and I never quite understood why. I dearly missed those 20%!

1 Like

The old ones are still good … wait a while and you ( potential gas person ) might reconsider and stick with what you have.

Do you really need those features ?

To be fair midi sync is essential imo , I didn’t realise that feature was missing.

1 Like

Broadly speaking, the BlueSky isn’t really doing anything otherworldly new compared to the built in reverb on the Takts’ – it’s just a reverb, y’know. :man_shrugging:

In my impression the BlueSky reacts to short peaks with a cleaner response. Especially on the plate algorithm, that one I’ve used a lot!

The room algorithm is gonna deliver somewhat similar results compared to the Takts, but again, somewhat cleaner or rounder or whatever adjective.

Oh and the mod and shimmer settings on the BlueSky are also something that the Takts don’t offer. The shimmer is a bit in your face and I only rarely used it for special effects. But the mod setting is nice and good for mellowing out any resonant peaks that might build up on looong reverb settings.

The spring algorithm is in my opinion a little wonky and like the shimmer I’ve only very rarely used it. Might work nicely for guitar type sounds though. But strictly speaking, it’s also something that sets the BlueSky apart.

edit: I’ve used the 1st generation BlueSky, don’t know how or what they improved with the new shimmer mode or that update on the spring algorithm

I guess the midi is a great update overall for delays: elCapistan and DIG. Using as a clocked delays seems good business.

In other hand, I was thinking about pick a Deco few months ago, so it makes sense go for the new one.

1 Like

is this 300 mem slots via the pedals or only via midi?

No doubt MIDI

Oh this is cool, after recently picking up the Compadre and the Zelzah which are this format but with the newer midi features, I was hoping just the other week some of these might be reissued.

After deciding synth presets aren’t for me and actually ultimately get in the way of me enjoying a synth, I’ve decided naturally I need to double down on preset guitar tones…

Actually if these are all stereo and line level compatible even better…

1 Like

Appreciate the info. I may wait for some third party reviews of the new features, but based on the Strymon video, it doesn’t sound like it’s too far off from the original, a worthy mk2 with good updates, but not enough difference from the takt’s for me to pull the trigger

Just seen the european price… 429€ for an El Capistan V2 vs 337€ for a V1. That’s one costly stereo switch (and reverb pot)!

I might try the Boss RE-2 as a replacement for my V1. At least it has 2 jack inputs. Still not available though. And I don’t know yet how well it will behave with hot inputs.

Also, the Volante starts at 433€, kind of weird that the El Cap V2 is priced the same. Maybe that’s not a definitive price. Or they have a Volante V2 in the works.

1 Like

Andertons seem to have some in stock already. The Deco is £359 for the v2, the v1 was £249.

Some of them have extra algos and I think they all have newer dsps. And more preset storage which will be very welcome for gigging players. Usbc is a happy improvement in my book too. New board design isn’t free either.

Looks like a 33% increase almost everywhere. Not nothing. But they are a premium brand. And I guess the OG blue sky is 8 years old. That’s like 26% inflation (at 2% for 7 years and 10% for one).

Makes the more expensive Nightsky more attractive. And other brands like meris at $299 attractive.

End of the day: Prices go up. Death and taxes.

3 Likes

I get that but still… Maybe they’ll bump the Volante price to keep it “high end”.

1 Like

I would bet we see revisions of those if not price hikes

Plus the cost of a Strymon Conduit for MIDI connectivity.

1 Like

I see this as a natural progression, but really no reason to sell my v1’s. Clock synced delays are overrated IMHO. Especially with a tape delay like the ElCap. Isn’t that supposed to be a bit wonky timing-wise? :slight_smile:

The nice thing about pedals is having to use your ears foremost!

5 Likes

yeah as someone who owns five out of six of these pedals, this is a bit annoying. but I’m not running to sell my V1’s just to upgrade. the only thing I’d really like is the easier stereo and line level connection, but I worked out solutions to those years ago. I like that the secondary functions are more accessible, but I’d have to read the manuals to see if they don’t still have some (I’d imagine so, knowing Strymon). for my pedals, I just used a label-maker to notate the secondary functions and put the labels on the bottoms of the pedals.

bummer the price went up, but not surprising either.