Strymon Next Generation

I get that but still… Maybe they’ll bump the Volante price to keep it “high end”.

1 Like

I would bet we see revisions of those if not price hikes

Plus the cost of a Strymon Conduit for MIDI connectivity.

1 Like

I see this as a natural progression, but really no reason to sell my v1’s. Clock synced delays are overrated IMHO. Especially with a tape delay like the ElCap. Isn’t that supposed to be a bit wonky timing-wise? :slight_smile:

The nice thing about pedals is having to use your ears foremost!

5 Likes

yeah as someone who owns five out of six of these pedals, this is a bit annoying. but I’m not running to sell my V1’s just to upgrade. the only thing I’d really like is the easier stereo and line level connection, but I worked out solutions to those years ago. I like that the secondary functions are more accessible, but I’d have to read the manuals to see if they don’t still have some (I’d imagine so, knowing Strymon). for my pedals, I just used a label-maker to notate the secondary functions and put the labels on the bottoms of the pedals.

bummer the price went up, but not surprising either.

I like synced delays with an arp or sequence, fun with monosynths.

The fun bit with midi’d Strymons for me is recording your realtime knob moves from the pedal and being able to fine tune it later. It’s like having an extra set of hands for evolving sequences or drones.

3 Likes

I would be careful expecting too much from its MIDI implementation: Could be that one can control only its parameters. Who knows whether the reverb could be clock synced?

BTW: IMO Source Audio offers MIDI controlled reverb and synced delay pedals for years, e.g. Nemesis Delay Nemesis Delay - Source Audio Website

For coveniant MIDI control I had to buy a Faderfox EC4 and because of MIDI via TRS as neccessary for some Strymon and Eventide pedals an additional Desaster Area MIDI Box 4. MIDI Box 4 — Disaster Area Designs

Quite expensive stuff though.

1 Like

Yes I agree. Midi clocking is a must for me. I actually own the Nemesis already and the Ventris is high on the list of possible contenders for a reverb

Ventris at $399 USD is looking like a good price now

2 Likes

You might find that the Nightsky has a lot more to offer

3 Likes

Is there any chance the new deco doesn’t sound as good as the og? It’s likely better overall, I’d imagine?

The new DECO has the old algorithm and a new one. I suspect the new DSP platform is transparent (the old one was already 32bits floating point processing, so maybe there’s more power or maybe they unified things in a way that will let them make new pedals more easily but I don’t think the end user will be able to tell)

1 Like

This is interesting. Ive often found midi clock sync on pedals a bit of a let down as they dont have a way of setting divisions. But looks like the new DIG has that functionality.

The “remote tap” for delay tempo is what i use on my Volante. I have a template on my Force set up so i can select like half time or double time delays. Easy way to change things up.

Have a look at the Meris Mercury7. Pretty awesome stereo verb, great MIDI implementation, you can select line/instrument level. I think it’s $299 new (in the US) and I prefer it over the Strymon – of course, that’s subjective.

1 Like

On the expensive side : CXM 1978.

4 Likes

I don’t need another reverb but I look at that everytime I’m on (unintentionally) reverb dot com. Such an amazing looking pedal and automatic sliders get me going.

1 Like

Better?
IMO HW or SW delays and reverbs are no rocket science any more.
So not better but rather a little bit different.
Albeit I wouldn’t expect that someone will hear the difference except the producer.

Edit: I’ve found that YT comparison. I don’t like it too much because for me it focusses too much on technical details.

Soundwise, I like V1 more because V2 sounds a little bit brighter / thinner to me.
Nevertheless I won’t buy V1 or V2 because my NightSky is enough.

1 Like

The good news is, I’ve seen some of the big-box Strymons selling for under $350 recently…

1 Like

Keep in mind, chip shortages.
I saw the Rossum modules all went up $200-300 for just that reason :frowning:

And an amazing creative sounding Reverb.

1 Like