STROM for iPad

ya lets hope this works… :slight_smile:
basically a simple TCP server/client thing which naively passes around raw MIDI data in both directions…

Strom’s data is not really timing-critical, but it must be transmitted reliably and in the right order, hence TCP instead of the normal network-MIDI which is UDP based and totally breaks down under the amount of sysex being transferred… there’s probably gonna be hickups as with any network connection, but the raw WIFI transfer speed even with TCP shouldn’t be an issue as it’s waaaay faster than MIDI itself…

Yeah, speed shouldn’t matter especially now that we have SDSDrop for transfers. Stability tho…

Hmm, there’s got to be enough space inside the AR for me to fit a small bluetoothed arduino and hook it up internally to midi in and pull some power off the mainboard…

enough space? I am guessing the AR is rather “stuffed to the gills” inside :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sneaking a little computer into the rytm would be super cool!! can you do it? I believe there is enough space, at least for one of these really small thumbdrive-sized thingies… like that mini-raspberry PI bare board…? with wifi and bidirectional MIDI, that would be so powerful… could even be a sort of wifi-upgradeable programmable circuit-bender when connected directly to the mainboard with the I/O pins… or something…

the wifi thing is looking good so far btw (at least in this isolated test setup… not integrated with strom yet). connection survives ipad/mac sleep, transfers sysex things back/forth reliably… :slight_smile:

something like this https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

http://makezine.com/2015/04/01/esp8266-5-microcontroller-wi-fi-now-arduino-compatible/

So why wouldn’t Strom work via USB to a Mac, and then route that connection via a DAW or Midipipe or Midi patch bay apps to the AR?

Isn’t it all the same…just extending the wired connection?

iPad -> Mac -> AR Some app on Mac routes iPad usb midi output directly to AR’s usb midi input. The Mac just acts as a USB router…but the thru-put and stability should remain the same as a direct wired connection…

No? Isn’t this the “cleaner” way to go? All in pursuit of using Strom and SDS and OB at once with the AR via USB.

If a Network midi connection through the Mac can work…then why not a wired connection?

I guess… why bother with another cable? :slight_smile:
the TCP connection is working quite well.
current status:

Strom randomizer/generator/FN are just fine via WIFI, sample transfers need some work.

Does this mean Strom without needing the camera cable?

Does this mean Strom without needing the camera cable?[/quote]

yep! :slight_smile:

i’m walking around the house, randomizing patterns like “look ma, no cable!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(it’s also a boon for development… used to be, the ipad was either connected to the Rytm, or the debugger, never both…)

Said it before, I’ll say it again. Love your work \o/

Well, if I understand you correctly, then we’d be able to have the AR USB connection direct to the Mac? Thus, use of OB and SDS can ensue. And wireless Strom can co-exist with that same USB connection to the Mac?
AR <-> Mac <-wireless-> Strom …???
If so, the SDS USB sample transfer is still speedy and very efficient. I hope this is the case, and you’ll get a version up soon. This would break huge ground for AR IMHO. Thank you!

yes yes, this is the plan…

will be using SDS Drop as a server/relay.
i.e. if you have both Strom and SDS Drop, it will just work :slight_smile:

currently figuring out a custom protocol for beaming samples over to SDS Drop because relaying SDS transfers byte-by-byte doesn’t seem to cut it…

ok - protocol done. wifi sample transfer works pretty well.

soon… :alien:

1 Like

Awesome! \o/

Great! Can’t wait!

Does this mean Strom without needing the camera cable?[/quote]

yep! :slight_smile:

i’m walking around the house, randomizing patterns like “look ma, no cable!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(it’s also a boon for development… used to be, the ipad was either connected to the Rytm, or the debugger, never both…)
[/quote]
:astonished: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy: :+1:

Fantastic!

btw, is support for connection via iConnectivity devices such as the iConnectaudio4+ something that is being considered or worked on?

I’m kinda wary of this, technically simple, just need to add a thing where you can choose a MIDI device.

But I don’t have an iConnect to test on, and some (most?) MIDI interfaces do an incredibly bad job with sysex transfers… they often fail with larger sysex messages, maybe because they use a very small buffer to hold temporary data. dunno. but it’s obvious they don’t test their stuff with larger sysex transfers such as elektron pattern data. :persevere:

I’ll keep it in mind for the coming update tho!

1 Like

so… unlimited UNDO HISTORY so you never have to worry about losing patterns or kits again, which can also keep track of tempo, and optionally geolocation, so you can search for when/where you created something, and instantly recall into any project because it can also keep track of sample references?

who’d like that? :panda:

2 Likes