STROM for iPad

+1

it´s no manual but it gets you there 90%, gathered from this thread:

RYTM STROM

• on the RYTM performance pages, hold FN, then tap the 4 circles at the top to store a snapshot of current KIT/PATTERN in there. tap just the circles to send the KIT/PATTERN back to your RYTM!

• use the FN function to quickly enable/disable SYNTH/SAMPLE on multiple tracks:
    hold FN, then on the RYTM’s trig page, toggle the SYNTH/SAMPLE switch.

• try the FN function with SAMPLE SLOTS.

• UNDO KIT/PATTERN FN tweak by holding FN, then tapping the KIT/PATTERN button (currently not working)

• FN works differently on the KIT & PATTERN pages: on the KIT page, it tweaks the KIT, as on the Machinedrum. On the PATTERN page, it creates P-LOCKS in the PATTERN. Use the RANGE slider at the bottom to select a step range for the p-locks.

• quickly swap two tracks in your pattern: on the PATTERN page, select 2 tracks, then press the UP or DOWN arrow at the left side. these arrows shift-rotate selected tracks, within the selected RANGE.

• to quickly create a break at the end of your pattern: set RANGE to ca. the right-most quarter of the screen, select multiple tracks, press the UP or DOWN arrow a few times

• start with an empty pattern. on a track of your choice, fill it up with trigs.
  • choose a RANGE which is less than the entire length, e.g. the middle third or so.
  • select the track in the app
  • hold FN, then tweak e.g. TUN of the synth.
  • release FN

now there should be p-locks in that track, but only within the selected range.
you can UNDO this with FN+PATTERN.

totally experiment with multiple tracks & other params!

it also works with parameters on the TRIG page.
e.g. you can use it to transpose parts of your pattern when doing this with the NOTE param.

the values in the p-locks are not absolute, but relative to their last values.
e.g. if there are already p-locks in the selected range, and you tweak e.g. TUN by +8, the previously p-locked TUN trigs will get 8 added to them.

note that if you do this on many tracks, you will fill up the p-lock memory quite quickly!
e.g. if all tracks are selected and you add new p-locks, it will eat up 12 p-lock storage units.
there are 72 in total IIRC.

you can quickly erase locks with the CLEAR P-LOCKS button. this will only erase “normal” p-locks, and not affect any locks done on the TRIG page, in order to preserve chromatic sequences etc.
To erase locks on the TRIG page, use CLEAR T-LOCKS!

edit: note that it will only add p-locks to proper triggering trigs. no trigless locks are added!

———

1. Imagine the Euclidean Pattern Generator as an arpeggiator where the selected tracks are the notes. It generates a monophonic rhythm, and alternates the trigs across selected tracks. The cycle mode on the left determines the track order.

Try the following:

• empty pattern
  • select all tracks
  • set density to max
  • select full range
  • set cycle mode to UP
  • hit the big button.

the resulting rhythm is a 16th pattern starting with the BD track, moving up through all selected tracks (including FX track!) and then restarting at the BD track.

• DOWN will start at the highest selected track
  • RANDOM will switch track randomly
  • CYCLE A is UP/DOWN
  • CYCLE B is UP/DOWN, but lowest and highest track are triggered twice.

PRO TIP: use only few selected tracks at a time for nice rhythms!
e.g. BD/SD/CP. then change density, select one or more different tracks, hit generate… etc.!
if you use a lot of tracks at one time, it’s more like a drummer going over the entire kit in one move…

The ARROW buttons are for SHIFT-ROTATION and are not related to the Euclidean pattern generator.
try:

• empty pattern
  • put one trig on step 1 in BD track
  • put one trig on step 2 in SD track
  • full range
  • select all tracks
  • on the RYTM, enable grid-rec so you can see the trigs

-now, hit the RIGHT ARROW once:
the trigs on both tracks move one step to the right BD has a trig on step 2, SD has a trig on step 3.

• hit the UP ARROW once:
    the trig from the BD track will move up into the SD track; the trig from the SD track will move to the RS track!

trig shift (horizontal) does only happen within selected RANGE and will wrap around that range.
track shift(vertical) wraps around selected TRACKS.
e.g, swap your BD and SD tracks:

• select BD/SD tracks
  • select full range
  • hit UP arrow once
  • business
  1. The range is global for all tracks… exact range is determined by the the longest track.
    E.g. if you have a track that’s 64 steps, and you set range to be towards the end so that it goes from e.g. 52 to 64, any tracks shorter than 52 are not in the range and are not affected by whatever happens on the pattern page.
    It’s easiest to imagine all tracks laid out on a grid… but yea, gotta do some manual/videos for this!
6 Likes

thanks for that Bathrobe at least its something :slight_smile:

Just purchased tonight, thank you void

So i can sample through the mic or line-in into STROM and transfer that to the Rytm.
Raving Strom App review incoming

This sounds promising… The line in recording is what i am looking for… But how?
I tried with a mini Jack into my iPad but i had no success. What is your inPut? Do you only use strom or do you use another app to record and then send it to iTunes and open in strom?

Has anyone got Strom working via a USB 2 hub and the original CCK?

I have a Pluggable 10 port 20W powered hub that works well with OB (MTT). Rytm is connected via USB for OB, so wanted to connect via a hub. Rytm is set to receive MIDI on MIDI+USB. Seems the original CCK doesn’t support charging and Strom doesn’t connect to the Rytm via the hub, only directly. It doesn’t charge either. If I connect the Apple lighting > USB charging cable to the same USB port it charges fine. Any ideas?

Interested in the new USB3 lightning camera adapter as mentioned above, thanks for the tip bathrobe.

Can anyone confirm Strom will connect to the Rytm via a USB hub using the original CCK?

I know we have to turn OB mode off to use Strom, right? But at least it would avoid having to swap cables around if I could use the hub.

Thanks

I use an audio interface (iconnect audio4+) but it´s kind of not yet implemented to choose an input. I am waiting for audibus input compatibility and hope that way I can choose from what input of an interface strom will sample.

recording from the minijack does work, but you need a certain style of cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Ledhill-3-5-mm-Stereo-Audio-Splitter/dp/B00BJZJNIK < correction: WRONG!

this one should do. one end of the splitter is the iPad stereo output, the other end is the mono input.

never tried this, gotta be careful to get the right sort of splitter!

the iPad jack connector mono input is designed for headset-style stuff, so I reckon the raw audio quality of the input is not the best. it is the cheapest way to get input though. Not sure about input gain - must probably be very low and might clip with line-level inputs…?

the better option is to get a USB hub, and connect a class compliant USB audio interface and the Rytm both to the hub.

e.g. like this:

the interface must be class-compliant, i.e. work without a driver installation.

you’ll very likely also need a USB hub which comes with a power supply, because the iPad CCK does not provide enough bus power for many devices.

the new CCK does provide somewhat more power, but still probably not enough to drive a hub with multiple devices connected. I’ve tried powering Bass Station II and it didn’t work…

This should work, in fact it’s the setup I used before the new powered CCK came out. And the new CKK also works with hubs of course.

does your USB hub work with other devices when connected to the iPad? e.g., MIDI controller/keyboard…?

maybe the multi-TT thing (I don’t know what this is tbh) is something that the iPad cannot deal with…?

I am using a Sonicport VX. That has a line-input.
As soon as an audiointerface is connected the ipad uses that for in- and output.
Then you can sample directly in Strom or in Audioshare and send it to Strom.

Strom will work via a USB 2.0 MTT hub when it’s at the head of the USB chain. But that means I have to disconnect the Mac’s connection to the USB hub, which kinda defeats the purpose! Any way to share the Rytm as the USB target and have both the Mac and iPad as the USB host?

Cheers

As soon as an audiointerface is connected the ipad uses that for in- and output.
[/quote]
oke, thank you
so do I understand correctly that after I connect my Native Instruments Komplete audio 6 soundcard by using a powered hub, then I can also connect my Rytm to it, and I can send audio into my sound card and load it into my rytm? The powered hub even loads my battery of my ipad? If this is correct, it sounds really promising…

[/quote]
oke, thank you
so do I understand correctly that after I connect my Native Instruments Komplete audio 6 soundcard by using a powered hub, then I can also connect my Rytm to it, and I can send audio into my sound card and load it into my rytm? The powered hub even loads my battery of my ipad? If this is correct, it sounds really promising…[/quote]

Yes, so it should work.
With the new Lightning to USB3 camera connection kit, you can hook up any unpowered usbhub. It charges the ipad and supply my Sonicport audio interface.
If it powers your NI A6 i don´t know(but it should). Maybe you can try one from somewhere and let us know.

[/quote]
So…super easy to sample Nave and send it to the AR?

[/quote]
So…super easy to sample Nave and send it to the AR?[/quote]
Super. Nave -> Audioshare -> Strom -> AR.

[/quote]
So…super easy to sample Nave and send it to the AR?[/quote]
Super. Nave -> Audioshare -> Strom -> AR.

[/quote]
thx :+1:
New radiohead album and now that…a good week!

Hi,
Great app! :slight_smile:
Is it possible to use strom with something like studiomux? or do I have to plug my iPad straight to the rytm?
Thanks!

thanks! aye, currently you need the direct USB hook-up. Working on the wifi connection… Not gonna use 3rd party things though. :slight_smile:

OMFG! may the force be with you