STROM for iPad

v1.1.0 is out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strom/id907044543?mt=8
(may need a bit of time to trickle through the App Store servers…)

• supports Rytm OS 1.30 and the new machines
  • is now an Audiobus generator (need to rework some things for using it as a recorder with Audiobus)
  • can load samples to project/pads like SDS Drop: hold down the send button, then tap on a slice.
  • kit randomizer can shift sounds up/down between tracks
  • pattern generator can create randomized trig properties for existing sequencer trigs within the selected range, using the amount slider as randomness control: “t-locks” are the parameters on the trig page. you can also create random retrigs and microtiming, and also set the TRC probability. You can clear any of these locks by holding FN and then pressing the corresponding randomization button.
  • you can lock the FN button by holding it with one finger, then tapping it with a second finger…

caveat: the undo function (fn+pattern/kit) is currently disabled. Will be fixed soon, but it was buggy & needs rethink. for now, use no+pattern/kit on the Rytm to reload pattern/kit state…

Tweak away! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow. Awesome as always.

Did I mention I love your work?

Man. Elektron and Void bringing the updates. Amazing days.

Thank you Void. Love this thing app…

@apcnt Hey I use the irig pro duo interface, excellent device
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/

@void great update man!
As I said I did not or would not expect anything new but you have delivered like a phantom in the, night!
I can’t wait to try this out when I get back to the bunker tonight.

Void for president!

Much obliged for the STROM update! :+1:

keep those 5 star reviews going, void has earned them no doubt

aye thanks people, much appreciated.
And yep please do rate/review on the App Store!

and sorry again for things taking so long… It’s a personal thing… STROM was developed during a time where my life was super fucked up, and looking at the code reminds me of that time a lot. But I think I’m over it :slight_smile:

So I’ll try and iterate / release improvements for the app continuously now, which means your feedback is highly welcome. I.e. what works for you workflow wise, and what doesn’t. Let me know…

1 Like

void, no stress!

rsp

@void
I’m not the type to pine for updates.
That being said, the only thing I would add to strom would be midi cc for the randomise and pattern generation! Just trigger wise…

Can imagine a great many scenarios of being able to trigger both from the OT whilst playing, would be amazing.

But again you have done wonders, don’t let that code give you bad memories, you should see it as giving the people endless possibilities, it is appreciated deeply.

Thanks man.

i updated my strom, but now i cannot open the application. i am kicked out of the it before it really starts :frowning:

sorry - if that happens, delete and reinstall will fix it.
unfortunately there currently isn’t a straightforward way to back up your internal Strom files…

1 Like

I’m torn between STROM and the new Radiohead album. Thanks, Void.

thanks, works fine now.

your technical mastery and emotional sacrifice is deeply appreciated :slight_smile: thanks void! once again, awesome.

I mean…if you’re ASKING…throw slices into sample chains to transfer.

/ Drool.

But seriously nothing but love for your app and work.

cheers :slight_smile:

ok apart from the crash-at-startup bug, it seems everything works ok for now?
How do you folks like the slice-to-pad uploading?

Yes. I got no crash and i´m happy to inform that STROM works with the new Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter as well.
Now the ipad can charge while being hooked up to the Rytm.

Even a hub connected to the adapter works. Into the hub goes the Rytm and a SonicPort VX.
So i can sample through the mic or line-in into STROM and transfer that to the Rytm.
Raving Strom App review incoming :slight_smile:

Transfer sample to pad works like a charm.

Going through this whole thread i figuered out what most of the Strom buttons do.
But a few are still unclear.
What do the up and down buttons on the lower right Kit page do?
And what does the FX button on the Pattern page do?

I came across one inconsistency that i cannot explain to myself:
Pressing up and down arrow on the pattern page sometimes brings up an unknown pattern.
To reproduce clear the pattern. Select BD1 and SD2 and randozime by pressing Euclidean Pattern.
Now to better distinguish them place trigs 1-3 on BD1 and trings 14-16 on SD2.
Now press the up or down arrow on Strom Pattern page 3 times. I thought they only cycle through the selected pads, so where does the third pattern comes from?

Also i really dislike the Received Kit and Received Pattern notification on the Rytm.
While figuring out whhat the Strom elements do i always had to wait some seconds to see what has changed. Of course that is not your fault.
I wish that Elektron would change that notification into a small symbol somewhere on the screen and not covering the whole screen.

Great work Void :smiley:

hey, thanks for the feedback!

ok - the FX button is for the FX track. on the Rytm, this is technically just another track, the only difference with the others being that it can’t be muted (I think). basically it doesn’t do much with normal trigs, but you can of course p-lock FX parameters…

so I’ve included the track in the pattern generator, even though it doesn’t do much if you generate trigs.

I reckon that the inconsistency you describe is due to the FX track being selected? If that is the case, this track is included in the cycling of tracks.

Guess this can be useful for having an extra track which can keep a sequence in “cold storage”. e.g. you could store a melody there which is part of a pattern and yet never “active”, then swap it with a melody in a different track at any time…

if you’re using the Rytm without Strom, the FX track can be used as a temporary buffer for swapping tracks. e.g. if you want to swap BD/SD tracks:

• copy SD track, paste in FX track.
  • copy BD track, paste in SD track.
  • copy FX track, paste in BD track.

:slight_smile:

tell me about it :dizzy_face:
you can dismiss it by tapping NO…
I’ve requested this message popup to be removed/optional, so far no luck…

1 Like

Great! Thank you for your explanation.

Yes, the FX button was enabled. Now i know where that ghost pattern came from. :slight_smile:

Now i am only left wondering what the arrow buttons on the Kit page are supposed to do.

aye, forgot - they are for cycling/swapping sounds, just like the up/down buttons on the pattern page. but, playing around with this now I realize it’s buggy… stay tuned… :slight_smile:

Hi Void love your work own Strom and SDS drop, I know this has been asked many times before but is there a manual planned or even a more in depth vid showing how to use Strom
thanks