STROM for iPad

I have a question, this seems like a good thread to do so. i think :wink:

Ive quickly looked through Void’s github repository but my answer is like a needle in a haystack overflow in there, but great that you spent the time and also made it public

i’ve never made an app but have coded microcontrollers for basic midi/music functions

i have already got something to generate midi notes/triggers, it works though the code being setup for altering and generating trigger maps, then it plays through to generate the midi output in realtime through midi port

so the question is: anyone know if i can export the trig ‘map’ via sysex to the MD? for the 16 tracks x64 steps?

as in, my code does this…

then reads each bit as a step and reads if it on or off then plays corresponding midi note

can the whole map be ‘printed’ to the md in any way through sysex? or does it have to play through as i do already?

It has a knock on affect on my device having to save pattern presets / realtime recording with MD, thats why im asking

hopefully i can get some help?

cheers

yeah you can do that… :slight_smile:
not sure if my code can help you if you’re doing this on a microcontroller.
it’s been for Apple stuff from the start.

but basically look at the MDPattern class.

MDPattern *myPattern = [MDPattern pattern];
    for(int step = 0; step < 64; step++)
    {
        int track = (int)mdmath_randi(0, 15); // pick a random track
        [myPattern setTrigAtTrack:track step:step toValue:YES];
    }

myPattern.length = 64;
    NSData *data = myPattern.sysexData;
    // send the data via MIDI port
1 Like

Just had a look at this, I don’t see a license stated anywhere. The headers of all the files say
//
// Created by Jakob Penca on 06/03/14.
// Copyright © 2014 Jakob Penca. All rights reserved.
//

So even if I wanted to use it in a project, open source or otherwise, it seems I wouldn’t be allowed to.

@void

might have been easier if the answer was no lol!
thanks for the pointer, ill look more into ur full code some more
i think but might be wrong that your saying its possible with ur coding, but id still need to implement something from scratch

i see how how ‘myPattern’ is changed
but how does NSData *data = myPattern.sysexData; interpolate myPattern to actual sysex at the midi port??

another pointer to another class?

@kisielk
I hereby grant you a do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want-with-it license.

@selektro
look at the implementation
the MDPatternParser class does the bulk of the work :slight_smile:
the NSData thing is just a binary blob of the entire sysex structure, ready to send.

1 Like

Can we get some applauds for this man right here!! wb

And that spinal thing just made my day - it will be a superb addition to the AR toolbox! scripted plocking, about goddamn time :alien:

one suggestion - if the spinal system could be used to populate adjacent seq patterns (to be chained upon playback), that would be seriously cool. A script that writes a 128 pattern long chains to my AR - what you say?

There’s not a whole lot of people who do more for the Elektron community, or any community within this scene for that matter, than the gentleman known as void.

I’m thinking of a scene from an old Simpsons episode, where an alien comes to Springfield and says to a large mob of springfielders: “I’m bringing you love.”

And Lenny goes: “He’s bringing us love! Don’t let him get away!” And Carl chimes in: “Break his legs!”

Or Douglas Adams, who said: “… nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change …”

Already pm’ed void with this but wondering what the fellow nauts opinion on that is…

If you use Strom for Kind of samplechaining it would be cool to have divisions of 120 instead of 128. so you’d know where to set the start/end point in the AR.

Does anyone uses strom like this?
Is there a workaround?
Just managed to get audio pitched and streched to taste from YT vids into strom via audioshare and Strom. A lotta inspiration :slight_smile:

thanks for the kind words you guys :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree the 120 division would be cool…
personally I haven’t used sample chains a lot myself, so I had a kind of blind spot there, but apparently a lot of people do this or want to do this.

need to find a decent workflow for it, maybe a chain maker should be a separate UI from the main slicer. Probably a pop up thing where you can build chains by adding individual slices from the main UI…

I want to keep the main UI as simple as possible (also the UI code is somewhat monolithic, it’s hard to make significant changes to it…). It does what it does quite well, but it’s mostly optimized to cut audio into slices, not the other way around, merge slices into chains…

anyway: feature requests, keep them coming! I’d be interested in what you people want/need the most.

also: if you’re a Mac user, check out the Kitten:
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/kitten-for-osx/17860/146090

I want to include this functionality in STROM… It’s really powerful, but I need some feedback on whether it’s good or confusing or buggy…

1 Like

Tell us about spinal. :astonished: [/quote]
Its really cool ;)[/quote]

Intriguing.:confused: [/quote]

:rage: Keep up the great work, that looks amazing. :rage:

I can only speak for myself, but my idea and totally sufficient would be an appropriate Number of slices and a Button that automatically inserts -let’s say- 1% of total lenght silence after each slice. That would be an easy and "rytm-able- approach.
What do you think?
I can’t comment on kitten, yet. Sounds like a cool feature but for me i’d be afraid to f**k up my performance when using it live.
But for inspirational purposes i’d go for it.
Only on iOS. I try to keep the laptop out of my setup.
Thx for considering…

I haven’t used Strom for a while but just recently I tried to use it again but when I connected the Rytm to my Ipad I get an Ipad error message stating that “the unit can not be used - The connected unit is not supported”. I use the same Lightning usb cable previously used with success. Anybody knows what is going on?

Maybe your unit is in Overbridge mode?

Delete the app & reinstall. Worked for me the last time. Haven’t used it since iOS 9.3 but will check when at home

Yes, of course! That was it, thanks a lot!

very cool, love your work

Without scrolling trough 40 pages of this thread, which audio interface do you use with the ipad to live record samples and transfer them via Strom?

I’m searching for a small line and mic input audio interface to record to the Rytm on the fly. Phantom power is a plus.

Thanks

Hi Void - will the app (eventually) be updated to reflect the huge OS update?

yep!
need to polish a few things, can hopefully roll out this weekend (add 4 days or so for Apple approval…)

<3!!