STROM for iPad

+1

Maybe just for speed? It can receive samples and CCs via midi but maybe that’s too slow to work simultaneously on the midi port.

I’m sure void can add support to connect to the Network for MIDI instead of directly to the AR. My current app can do it over the network,but there is a latency when sending hundreds of CC’s (It’s not instant, more like ~1 sec), which I don’t think is too bad.

Bought a used iPad mini 2 today, mainly for use with STROM. First off: what a nice piece of hardware! Perfect size, amazing screen, and oh so slick. Also pretty cheap now…

Second: holy shit, STROM is amazing! Not sure what the fuss is about regarding a manual and tutorial videos, this first vid gets you started quick enough:

Question 1: is there any way of batch-sending files, maybe pointing it at an incoming Dropbox folder, etc? What kind of workflow have people developed for getting samples on there, still using c6 or have you figured out a smoother way via STROM?

Question 2: any secrets that aren’t covered in the vid? I notice a few circles top left and remembered someone mentioning that patterns and kits could be saved. Oh, and what’s the slider at the bottom of the pattern section for?

Thanks so much Void, including iPad, cables and software I paid £200 for this, and the ctrl-all is worth the price of admission alone. Plus I get a nice new iPad to go with it :smiley:

How many CCs are you able to send at once from your app? I made a m4l thing that sends CCs, I can send about 250 before they don’t reach the Rytm. Strom sends sysex I think. I looked at the sysex but the messges are huge, I can’t face decoding them…

So I dug through the thread and compiled all of void’s tips into one document. This seems to cover everything that isn’t obvious from the video. It’s still just a messy copy/paste job, will consider tidying it up if I get the time. Feel free to edit or clone the document if you want to add or modify anything.

http://pastebin.com/LTNS4Aj7

Oh, and audiobus may not be directly supported, but I discovered that if you run audiobus with any tonegen as the source and any output app like kymatica audioshare as the output, it will keep playing in the background when strom is opened. This lets you resample directly into strom and then send to the rytm, no fucking about with files and recording.

edit: other apps play in the background but strom can only resample itself. Bummer. This would really open things up.

!!! Bonus!!! If you get yourself one of these cables, you should be able to use the ipad’s mic input as a line in, to sample from sources other than the internal mic. Only potential issue is that Strom might not detect that it’s plugged in. Will confirm when it gets here in a couple of days.

thanks a lot.

How many CCs are you able to send at once from your app? I made a m4l thing that sends CCs, I can send about 250 before they don’t reach the Rytm. Strom sends sysex I think. I looked at the sysex but the messges are huge, I can’t face decoding them…[/quote]
I’m able to send over every CC supported in the manual with no issues within a ~1 second time-frame. I’m not sure If I’ll run into any bandwidth limits. I do have modulation sources implemented, so I hope they don’t give any issue. Here’s a current look of the beta: http://imgur.com/a/iafeV#7

So, i have a new rytm. I have an ipad. I have a cck. And i have an usb cable.
But is this app working and worth it ? You guys make me wonder.

Works just fine for me here. The app is definitely worth the admission. It’s one of the most useful 3rd party apps I’ve come across for any synth, how could you resist?

Works great and is very useful. I’d say it’s worth it. It’s a bit cryptic to use and you kind of have to accept it for what it is with no real possibility of improvement but what it does is awesome. Worth it for the ctrl-al alone!

In case anyone is having trouble with the iPad complaining that the Rytm is unrecognized, turn off Overbridge on the Rytm.

There, i bought it!
Sampling, editing, transferring, loading kits and patterns…everything works! Yay!
I encountered a bug though : when i am editing start/end of a new sample and i slide the screen accidently, i lose the menu so i can’t get out of that edit window so i needed to restart the app.
Other than that it’s absolutely awesome!

Cool…thanks man
How did the mic work out?

Oh boy, bad mistake. This doesn’t work with Overbridge at the same time, heads up! Don’t make the mistake I made.

Hey all, just got my Rytm and have been eying this app up for a while, also got Air 2. I have bought Trom standalone without the Rytm add on and I’m more than happy to if anyone can confirm whether it plays nicely with iOS 9. It’s £15 and a camera connection kit isn’t cheap either so thanks in advance!

I bought Strom ofc.

anybody using strom on iOS9 yet? all good?

yes iOS 9 and strom fine, panicked for a second when storm asked me to buy the RYTM upgrade again clicked on the page hit restore back to normal. tested most things and it all ‘seems’ to work

Thank you, I got the cable anyway, will buy Strom now.