STROM for iPad

What doesn’t seem professional to me (been working in the software industry for 15 years) is to identify the bugs, tell his clients that those were easily fixable and disappear right after that.
I’m sure it wouldn’t take too long to correct the only bug that really bothers me (sending 2 slices as one)…
I can understand some difficult issues in private life could give some excuses, but not “I’m working with LASERS now so I don’t have time to assume my responsibilities as a service provider”.
If he wanted that kind of latitude, he should have given the app for free or just enough to cover the expenses of publishing it in the Apple Store…

This is not a professional attitude. And by asking 25$ for an iPad app (that’s more than Animoog, Samplr and many other great quality music apps on the market), he should have actually expected what we “ask” of him.

TIP FOR PEOPLE WITH PROBLEMS DOING THE IN-APP PURCHASE

So, I installed STROM, and I got the dreaded “your purchase could not be completed, contact itunes support” error message.

I opened itunes, searched for STROM in “My Purchases”, then clicked to “Report a Problem”. I wrote in the report that my apple id worked perfectly, but that I was not able to do in-app purchases, in ANY app, not only STROM (which was true).

12 hours later, I had a nice email from some Apple customer services representative, saying:

we’ve made some changes on our end, so the issue should be resolved. Please sign out of the account on all computers and devices and back in to refresh the account before attempting another purchase.

I signed out from AppStore on my ipad (Settings -> Appstore -> click on apple id -> Sign Out), and from iTunes on my windows laptop.

Then I went into strom, clicked to buy the RYTM add-in, logged in, and BOOM, it worked.

So, if you are having this problem, just report the issue.

ROFL.

I still have two BBSes running. One I coded myself in C, since 1996 in Linux (telnet bbs.buanzo.org - but it is in spanish).

And, btw, 31250 is below 57600 :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t help what baud rate MIDI is - blame Dave Smith!

hi i am void. strom is NOT abandoned, ill return to the bugs and manual shortly.

ahhh… finally i know how it feels how to do the hard work of a pro dev.

not serious. sorry, losing patience. its not like void legally ows us anything or he delivered crap. thats up to him. but well… havent seen any >5€ app without a proper manual and some bugfix releases. it seems void was in for the money and it didnt sell well enough, so he lost interest.

Not intended to be cheeky here but what in particular do you feel you needed a manual for? I was up and running with most of this app pretty quickly to be honest. Was all plug and play effectively. Haven’t used it in a while mind you so perhaps things aren’t as smooth these days.

no problem. not intended to be (too) brash. above all i am all good with that app. cool thing a talented guy spent some of his time to do something useful for a niche market. however, if u read back the thread, he promised loads of stuff for an update (like reported bugs, inapp manual, audiobus, record internally, etc…) and just delivered none. maybe next time, just write “we may consider doing X”…
however, i am a bit disappointed and wanted to tease some emotions with the last post but 25$ is nothing to worry about really.

manual: did you know all of these? FN func really needs an in-app memo. void gave this earlier. pretty sure there are more hidden features as well…

- on the RYTM performance pages, hold FN, then tap the 4 circles at the top to store a snapshot of current KIT/PATTERN in there. tap just the circles to send the KIT/PATTERN back to your RYTM!

- use the FN function to quickly enable/disable SYNTH/SAMPLE on multiple tracks:
hold FN, then on the RYTM's trig page, toggle the SYNTH/SAMPLE switch.

- try the FN function with SAMPLE SLOTS. 

- UNDO KIT/PATTERN FN tweak by holding FN, then tapping the KIT/PATTERN button

- FN works differently on the KIT & PATTERN pages: on the KIT page, it tweaks the KIT, as on the Machinedrum. On the PATTERN page, it creates P-LOCKS in the PATTERN. Use the RANGE slider at the bottom to select a step range for the p-locks.

- quickly swap two tracks in your pattern: on the PATTERN page, select 2 tracks, then press the UP or DOWN arrow at the left side. these arrows shift-rotate selected tracks, within the selected RANGE. 

- to quickly create a break at the end of your pattern: set RANGE to ca. the right-most quarter of the screen, select multiple tracks, press the UP or DOWN arrow a few times

- etc.

Wow. Just catching up and was hoping this app had been developed beyond using just the Apple Camera Connection. Instead I found an absolute bitch fest about manuals etc…

I really hope he never returns just to spite all the rude people here. I’m sure all the rest will get on and experiment and make music. I personally never use manuals - pushing buttons and twisting knobs is part of the fun. I know others need it but c’mon… it’s $20. I spend that on a movie here in Melb, Australia.

crazy… I have this app and it works wonders.

1 Like

It’s not ‘rude’ to expect year-old bugs to be fixed or simple documentation to be provided, or to expect the developer to deliver on what he said he would, or to expect him not to (seemingly) abandon the app (and this thread) before he has made good on what he said.

What is rude is to feel like you have a god-given right to extra features when these have not been promised. This is the difference between an app like Strom, where I only expect the basic functionality plus documentation, and the Rytm itself, where I expect a proper update path. However, in both cases the communication from the maker has been lacking.

He’s doing something cool with lasers and good on him I reckon. I’d be working on lasers too in comparison to writing a manual ( sounds like a lot of rather boring work to satisfy a tiny niche group of people )

My guess is he was hungry to see this app succeed, had a break and came back to visit this forum.

Then he lost his appetite.

Wouldn’t a possible solution be if void released the code so the community could take over and start an open source project?

it definitely would but it’s very unlikely :slight_smile:
but i hope for that also

I have an iPad randomizer almost finished:http://imgur.com/9yg8Ogn

Parameters can be locked, randomized (intelligently or purely random), perturbed, reset, etc…I haven’t yet attempted to reverse engineer the sysex to send patterns though.

Hello

Crazy question, is there a workaround so can you use Strom via Over Bridge?

Thanks

anyone still having IAP problem?
I can’t upgrade IAP. I tried logging out, restart etc…
I’m on IOS 8.4, ipad mini retina

i reported the problem to apple and now it is resolved and I could upgrade!

Nope, as both want that Rytm USB hole

OB is so essential in the studio, it’s a shame it’s incompatible with STROM. No way of possibly making it work via the computer rather than directly using the machine’s USB port?

why does strom need usb above all? surely there is a good reason. however, via midi should be possible too.